Author Topic: Question about power with Bakers Pride ovens  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Question about power with Bakers Pride ovens
« on: December 19, 2005, 09:08:36 PM »
Does anyone on here know what is different between their 3 phase and 1 phase ovens?  Is it just a different cord that's used or how does it work?  I need to know because I am thinking about getting one and the one I am looking at right now is 3 phase and obviously I don't have 3 phase power.  If you look on their site you can order them new either way.  What is the difference though?   ???
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Question about power with Bakers Pride ovens
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:12 PM »
Three phase is usually not available in homes.  This is  usually found in commercial areas (commercial kitchens, etc) where HEAVY duty equipment is used.  In fact, not all commercial areas readily have 3 phase and many times it has to be installed at the owners request/expense.  It costs more to install, but is cheaper to operate.  If you purchase a single phase unit, you will be able to operate it regardless of the area and not have to worry about it. :)
Buffalo

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:02:13 AM »
Howdy:

You may also want to consider where you are going to install your 220 receptacle.  Also...venting.  These boys smoke it up pretty good no matter how clean you keep it.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 11:23:59 AM »
They do make phase converters. But $$$
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 11:51:44 AM »
Yep, call your utility company and inquire about the service.  You would have to pay an electrician to install a 3 phase sevice box and all the inside wiring before the utility company will hook it up.  My guess would be a minimum of $2000.00.  ( I work for a utility ).

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 12:22:10 PM »
Oh, and checkout phaseconverter.com for prices on converters.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 09:49:00 PM »
Well, I could get 3 phase here if I wanted to but I've never even considered it.  All I really wanted to know is what the difference is exactly between the 1 phase and 3 phase ovens?  I'm definitely going to get a 1 phase, but if the 3 phase I found could be converted somehow without costing a ton of money it might be worth getting.

Thanks for the replies.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 10:25:24 PM »
I wouldn't bother with a 3-phase converter on any continuous-use equipment like a restaurant oven.  You'll waste too much power in the long run.  Even if you're getting a free oven, your energy costs will wipe out the advantage quickly.  It's better to get something that's right for the power you have.  You'll be happier with the performance, maintenance, and operational expense.

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 03:24:31 PM »
Well, I could get 3 phase here if I wanted to but I've never even considered it. All I really wanted to know is what the difference is exactly between the 1 phase and 3 phase ovens? I'm definitely going to get a 1 phase, but if the 3 phase I found could be converted somehow without costing a ton of money it might be worth getting.

Thanks for the replies.

I have the Bakers Pride oven found here: http://www.valiantequipment.com/mopxhe3elcod1.html

It plugs into an ordinary outlet, reaches 650 in about 40 minutes, and with the pizza stone I put in it works great.

pizzapan