Author Topic: NYC trip in Jan 2013 Need suggestions on NY style & Neopolitan pizzerias  (Read 7120 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: NYC trip in Jan 2013 Need suggestions on NY style & Neopolitan pizzerias
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
 sharlene,one more that you need to try is nicoletta nyc. they have gotten beaten up by the critics but the pizza and appetizers are all solid.it is hard to get new yorkers especially critics to approve of a pizza that is labeled mid west style. their sales are very strong so the food speaks for itself. pm if you want to try it I'll set you up.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
Thatsaid I will agree that Co. did not knock my socks off byanymeans Margherita was marginal at best ? The Large Earthstone oven was running too hot I think ? so dough did not bake thru. as Larry said (popeye)  second skin was warmer going in or spread different but better texture here they are. I saw the dough out resting in flour and looked to be  high hydration.
Tasted a bit dry and excess bench flour was evident as shown in skirt shot.
John
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:16:55 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
The bread on the other hand from the sullivam street Bakery next door  Awesome!! I took a classic whole wheat loaf home and just finished this AM I ate the whole loaf !! nice sourdough finish. Gotta start making some breads soon !
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
one more note if you want to meet roberto he is now at don antonio most of the time.we ate their monday and it was great,the pies were outstanding.
Thanks for the heads up!  And all this good info.  Quite overwhelming:)

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »
The bread on the other hand from the sullivam street Bakery next door  Awesome!! I took a classic whole wheat loaf home and just finished this AM I ate the whole loaf !! nice sourdough finish. Gotta start making some breads soon !
J
MMMM... bread looks delicious.  Will be staying in a townhouse with kitchen!  Will just need to make sure there's butter around.  Thanks for the pics.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the tips, advice, and recommendations of their favorite pizzerias in NYC.  It was a great week for my husband receiving his award, and a great learning experience for me in the world of pizza.  I didn't get a chance to go to all the pizzerias I had planned on due to time constants - my husband and kids aren't as crazy as I am.  Needless to say, I was very happy with all the pizza I ate, the pizza chefs I met, and most of all, what I learned.  

Here's a brief highlight of the week, pizza related:

Monday night:  Ate at Forcella in Park Ave.  A few blocks away from the apt...ordered a couple of entrees and 3 pizzas. After traveling all day, and ordering ravioli and chicken...I wasn't impressed with the pizzas - it wasn't served to us immediately,...so the temperature of the pizzas made a difference in the taste to me. Not overwhelmed.  Maybe I was just tired!

Tues or Wed night: Ate at Vezzo's known for thin crusts.  Ate here since it was across the street from the apt on Lexington.  And cheap.  I learned that the pizzas are rolled thin, frozen..brought to the restaurant and cooked in the deck oven.  It was still better than the pizza at Christian's Pizza. a local pizzeria in Charlottesvile.

Friday:  Pizza Tour with Scott!  It was 28 degrees that day. Great experience for the kids (their first food tour! what better way to get them hooked-with pizza)...lots of pizza and NYC history combined. First stop was Keste (Neo), then John's (NY) and Joe's (Sicilian). We entered Keste 30 mins before the shop opened to the public...got to check out the beautiful wood fire oven, chatted about history, etc..we were informed that the pizzaolo was stuck in traffic, so Roberto was on his way - I cheered openly-  No one was excited as I was!!!  While Scott chatted with the group, I excused myself to take videos and chatted with Roberto who was very friendly and didn't seem to mind me interrogating.  It was cool that he ended up making our pizzas and learned a lot from watching him stretch the dough with bear-like claw hands.  He does teach a 10-day course on NP and mozzarella; the first ten days of each month, from 7-12 noon, sounds very enticing. He made margaritas and one with lardo?  I was sooo excited watching Roberto make pizza and chatting him that I had no appetite to eat.  Nerd.  I did get a bite of the lardo which was amazingly rich.  By the time I was ready to try more margherita, my daughter had eaten it all.  But the 2 bites I had was wonderful - it was light and tender...much better than the Forcella experience on Monday. I left Keste thinking that it was the best pizza I ever had. The NY pizza was just okay. It was cool to see the coal fired oven.  I thought the pizza was a little overcooked.  The California tomatoes used was sweeter than Keste's San Marzano's. Last stop was Joe's pizza (Sicilian).  Scott served us the Palermo which was made with bread crumbs!  My husband enjoyed it.  Kids were full by then.  I was still reeling from Keste.  My 12 yo preferred Keste's pizza and my 9 yo preferred the NY style since it was similar to his loved pizza made by his school cafeteria. I became an official great fan of NP!  

Saturday:  My lesson with Giulio was moved from Thursday to Saturday since he was stuck in Napoli till Thursday evening.  I met him at the Forcella in Brooklyn.  Our planned 3 hour lesson turned into 5 hours of intense learning!  We started downstairs to make the dough.  Using the Forcella recipe (which is similar to Roberto's recipe), we measured out the ingredients, mixed the dough by hand to simulate the Italian mixer. Talked about fermentation, kitesurfing, Maui, and fermentation. After mixing two batches of dough, we headed upstairs and discussed oven management and as simple as how to fire the oven.  Giulio showed me everything, from how to properly remove the dough from the container to shaping the dough, stretching the dough - using the Neopolitan slap, to properly placing the dough on the peel...to adding the sauce - properly, ...and cooking the pizza. He covered techniques on cooking the pizza - using the peel properly and efficiently.   We did this about 30 times.  Practice makes perfect.  I am sure it was very painful for him to watch me!  But by 20th pizza..I was becoming more efficient, ...more confident with the Neo slap (that was the most challenging for me) - I found it more difficult when I thought about what I was doing...I would hear his instructions, but my hands would be doing something else...at one point, my dough almost landed on the floor - I had to laugh out loud!!  I was having a great time!!! At certain points, I thought to myself that giving anesthesia is so much easier than making pizza!!!  ;D  The last 3-4 pizzas, he had me do 2 pizzas at a time -working on oven management...and made a couple of Montanaras!!  We returned downstairs to do another batch of dough, by hand.  (I think a home mixer is going to be a great investment and heirloom)...by 3 pm...we returned to the oven area - I made my own lunch - a pizza margarita.  It was the best tasting pizza ever!  I left Brooklyn, exhausted and high on fun!! I was too tired to check out Roberta's  and Paulie Gee's after the class...next time. Giulio is fixing the upstairs so that he can teach classes to the home baker.  I think I was his first victim. :chef:

Sunday:  Ate at Forcella's in East Village...Met up with Giulio....and he let me make dinner for the family!!  Made the Montanara, Fiurogrotta (lemon slices, arugula, percorino), and a couple of Margheritas...what a way to end the lesson!!  I was high as a kite.  Super excited to be working in the pizza area, and oven...and making dinner for the family. I thought his offer to let me cook was very thoughtful.  I had the BEST time.  Okay, so pizza making is as fun as giving anesthesia!!

Apparently, one day a week in all the Forcella locations, you can come in, " make your own pizza "- can't remember if you can shape the dough, but you choose your topping..and Giulio cooks it for you!  

I have come away appreciating the different pies: NP, NY and Sicilian.  I favor the taste of the NP - liking both Keste and Forcella, equally. Looking forward to my next trip in NYC - and trying out Paulie Gees, Roberta's , Julianna and Motorino...expanding my taste...

Next stop,....San Francisco in Feb....any favorites???

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Sounds like you had a wonderful experience! Where are the pictures??!! :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
Doesn't get any better than that.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
What a great experience for you Sharlene....sounds like you did good too. Congrats!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
What a whirlwind trip. Can you tell me more about how you set up the training with Giulio?

John

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
Sounds like you had a wonderful experience! Where are the pictures??!! :-D

I'm still on the train...but as soon as I can- I will post pictures.  Am I able to post short videos? would that be helpful to anyone.  I love all what i've learned and happy to share information, etc...

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 06:43:58 PM »
What a great experience for you Sharlene....sounds like you did good too. Congrats!  :chef:

It was an amazing life experience for me!!  Giulio let me cook a couple of the pizzas for customers during my lesson - with strict supervision, of course!  ;D  In fact, I'm seriously thinking of taking Roberto's 10-day class ( he offers mozzarella instruction as well-which I really want to learn) or Giulio's 7-day class which I think are geared for the more serious pizza makers who want to open their business.  I'm definitely on my way to the Pizza Expo in March!  Interested to take Tom Gemignano's workshops, and hopefully meet some members of this forum- and talk shop! I still have so much to learn.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
What a whirlwind trip. Can you tell me more about how you set up the training with Giulio?

John

My head is still spinning, John.  When Scott123 gave me the idea to contact Forcella in early Jan, I contacted him the next day.  I googled Forcella main website and wrote a short note - under the tab, Contact us.  I wrote the note to Giulio's attention and he responded the following day!!  I was actually surprised to hear from him directly via email.  I think it's easy to reach him since it's low season.  He's heading out  to the West Coast next month to check out opportunities for opening more pizzerias, but i'm sure you can arrange something with him now.  Probably because it's low season, they are offering the "make your own pizza" with him...might be a great time to meet and chat with him.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »

John
On second thought, I'm not sure how much you will get out of a class since your pizzas look amazing and you have much knowledge that many of us are learning from.  Save your money for a bigger or better pizza oven!  That's my humble opinion :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
+1 Sharlene....John is awesome.  :chef:
p.s. I could sense that you were impressed/after more one on one personal training....good for you young lady!  8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:21:05 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »
Sharlene,

It was great hearing about your pizza adventures in NY.  Sounds like a lot fun.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »
I have come away appreciating the different pies: NP, NY and Sicilian.  I favor the taste of the NP - liking both Keste and Forcella, equally. Looking forward to my next trip in NYC - and trying out Paulie Gees, Roberta's , Julianna and Motorino...expanding my taste...

Sharlene, it's not really fair to 'favor' one style over another until you've had the best representation of each style. If you want to go to the NY style places that I told you to avoid ("Manhattan has absolutely nothing in the way of a decent NY style slice"), that's fine, but please don't use those vastly inferior examples as any kind of basis for judgement. Until you've had good NY style pizza, you really haven't actually had NY style pizza, imo.

I'm glad your time with Giulio went so well.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »
Sharlene, it's not really fair to 'favor' one style over another until you've had the best representation of each style. If you want to go to the NY style places that I told you to avoid ("Manhattan has absolutely nothing in the way of a decent NY style slice"), that's fine, but please don't use those vastly inferior examples as any kind of basis for judgement. Until you've had good NY style pizza, you really haven't actually had NY style pizza, imo.

I'm glad your time with Giulio went so well.
I agree with you Scott...I don't think the NY pies I had tasted represents a decent slice.  I was planning on heading out to Roberta's after my lesson, but I was just exhausted!!! Definitely heading back in the spring and plan on making my way to the other places.  Meanwhile, it will be interesting to compare the NP pies I had in NYC with the NP pies I will try in SF next week! And looks like there are plenty of recommendations to try.

Thanks again for giving me that great idea to meet with Giulio. Really nice guy.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:38 AM »
Sharlene,

It was great hearing about your pizza adventures in NY.  Sounds like a lot fun.

Norma
Thanks Norma!  It was a blast.  You'll have to let me know when you head up again in the city-would be fun to meet up.  Thinking of May...when it's warmer.

Offline scott123

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 02:40:25 AM »
I agree with you Scott...I don't think the NY pies I had tasted represents a decent slice.  I was planning on heading out to Roberta's after my lesson, but I was just exhausted!!! Definitely heading back in the spring and plan on making my way to the other places.  Meanwhile, it will be interesting to compare the NP pies I had in NYC with the NP pies I will try in SF next week! And looks like there are plenty of recommendations to try.

Thanks again for giving me that great idea to meet with Giulio. Really nice guy.

Sounds good, Sharlene.  Btw, Roberta's isn't NY style.  Nor is Paulie Gees.  Julianna's should be great pizza, but I wouldn't technically classify that as NY style either. I call that either coal or neo-NY.  If you're going to experience a real NY style slice, it has to be on that list I gave you earlier (plus Best Pizza, from Craig).

pizzapan