Author Topic: Second attempt... much better all around.  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My FIRST crack at NY from scratch... EPIC FAIL... or is it?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
DJ,

I'd say that you did very well although you will shortly be hearing from my lawyers on the patently transparent  use of my forum name for your pizza.

Seriously, you did well. What you might consider in the way of changes next time is to reduce the hydration to 61% and reduce the amount of oil to 2%. The oil has a "wetting" effect on the dough and may make the dough more extensible (stretchy) than desired. Depending on your results, you may need to make further tweaks to get you closer to the results you are after.

Most of us on the forum who have made NY style doughs have avoided the use of rolling pins. However, as a temporary crutch, you might consider the method that Tom Lehmann often uses to teach novitiates in pizza making. He discusses the method at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=41080#p41080.

Peter

Offline mistachy

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
DJ,

I'd say that you did very well although you will shortly be hearing from my lawyers on the patently transparent  use of my forum name for your pizza.

LOL... pizza just seems wierd. Peet sa or Pit sa just sounds better to me. Thanks for the link. I will try this formula once more before i change it so i have a better understanding of what isnt good about it. then ill will put your good suggestions to use.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Looks like you are well on the way to your goal. Nice work.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ev

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:01 AM »
Looks like you are well on the way to your goal. Nice work.

I agree. It's only a failure if it ends up in the garbage can, but even then, if you learned something, it's not a failure at all.
You may need to hunt down some better cheese, or at least a whole milk version. What brand was this?

Offline mistachy

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »
Walmart sells it in the deli. I ordered 2lbs... not sure what brand Walmart sells fresh in the deli

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Different baking techniques...
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
I used block, low moisture, fresh motzerella.

I believe what you have is actually "aged" mozz. Not "fresh"    ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mistachy

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
i cant say for certain without going back up there. i got another dough ball rising. will give this another go, cook it faster, see if that helps

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
Looks like you did lots of homework and stayed up extra late cramming for the big day..and it worked  :pizza:

Good job on the pie, it looks just like the ones you're striving towards.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline kramer73

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
looks great to me!

Offline mistachy

Re: Second attempt... much better all around.
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »
Okay... awesome beans. I made a few adjustments.

.08 thickness, 18 inches, 2% offset

Flour (100%):
Water (61%):
ADY (.5%):
Salt (1.5%):
Sugar (2%):
Shortening (2%):
Total (167%):
352.5 g  |  12.43 oz | 0.78 lbs
215.03 g  |  7.58 oz | 0.47 lbs
1.76 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.47 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
5.29 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.95 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
7.05 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.77 tsp | 0.59 tbsp
7.05 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.76 tsp | 0.59 tbsp
588.68 g | 20.76 oz | 1.3 lbs | TF = 0.0816

I find it very interesting that I wound up with a 23 ounce ball after kneeding with this formula. But in anycase I only made minor adjustments just to see what would happen compared to first time around. I worked with a cooler temp dough and I changed the cheese I was using to the cheapo great value preshredded stuff just to see if I would get any difference. It was all I had in the fridge. It came out much better than the block cheese I was using although it still browned too fast for my taste, I will see about getting the cheese suggested. My crust was browner, crispier, but I like a softer crust, so that was a little disappointing.  I like it firm on the bottom, soft on the outside rim. Indeed that didnt happen. My crust seems dried out. I cant really get a shorter cook time on my pizza because my rim wont brown. I preheaded the steel to 400, dropped the pizza on there and cooked it for 15 minutes on 525 on the top wrack this time. The pizza came out better than last time where i cooked it for 15 minutes on 400. If I cook it any less than 15 minutes, my rim wouldnt be very brown, so I dont really how to accommodate for that. I could use the broiler, but the broiler wont heat the top very evenly. I would have to open the oven take the pizza out and twist it around, but that would let a lot of baking heat out.  hmmm...  here are some photos:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8CE975D81ADA7799!267&authkey=!AE2uCWdGdB_kdmY
PICS

ooooo snap! i know what i did wrong. I measured out 7.5 fluid ounces. DOH!!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:07:51 PM by mistachy »

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Re: Second attempt... much better all around.
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »
Link is asking for a sign in to view the photos.

Offline mistachy

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »
Link is asking for a sign in to view the photos.
Try it now

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »
Not a bad looking pie. Id eat a slice. As scott mentioned, peperoni does wonders for keeping the cheese from browning. I have to try a bit of oil as was mentioned for a cheese pie. I also keep the cheesr frozen which helps a little bit.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread already, but you can also brush the rim with oil to get it to brown faster. I found out though you have to be pretty careful though because it doesn't take much misplaced oil to make the pie stick to the peel.

Offline mistachy

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
Not a bad looking pie. Id eat a slice. As scott mentioned, peperoni does wonders for keeping the cheese from browning. I have to try a bit of oil as was mentioned for a cheese pie. I also keep the cheesr frozen which helps a little bit.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread already, but you can also brush the rim with oil to get it to brown faster. I found out though you have to be pretty careful though because it doesn't take much misplaced oil to make the pie stick to the peel.
ill try brushing the rim next bake with oil. thats a great idea. i put peperoni directly on top of the tomato sauce... should i put the peperoni on last? my motzerella was partially frozen, i think i will try freezing it. that sounds like a wonderful suggestion.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
Putting the pepperoni last definitely keeps the cheese from burning. I guess the oil comes out of the pepperoni as it cooks and has the same effect as putting oil on top of the cheese as scott described.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
You are using what looks like "low moisture-part skim" cheese...for less browning you need "whole milk" mozz. Both are not "fresh" cheese....they are dry, aged cheese.
"Fresh" mozz cheese is the type you usually see packaged in water and it is the type of cheese normally seen on Neopolitan pies.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"