Author Topic: Perfect sized steel plates for interior oven size of 18x23 ?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
Perfect sized steel plates for interior oven size of 18x23 ?
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »
These will be 1/2" A36 grade carbon steel.  I read that two horizontal sheet is best because they easier to manage.  I probably want close to the max vertical length (door to back wall) but maybe minus an inch but I'm not sure about the horizontal length.  I would have less bow on the rack if I went closer to the max but the downside it would be heavier. 

I'm tentatively thinking two sheets of 8.5" x 11".  Or should I go with something a little smaller?

Offline shuboyje

Re: Perfect sized steel plates for interior oven size of 18x23 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
I'd think bigger.  That will only get you a 10" pie.  Why not something like 17x18 so you can make a 16" pie with some room to spare?  Scott123 is an advocate of a very large tight fitting steel plate even bigger then that.  He would tell you to get something like 17 3/4 x 21.
-Jeff

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:54 PM »
Dorkmeat,

This is what I did and my oven measures 17 1/4 by 24.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27552.0.html

Scott123 helped me to determine what size is best for my oven.  Technically, I can now make a 17" pie in my oven, although I'm still in practice mode stretching a skin to that size.  I'm used to 14".  I'm sure he will chime in soon for some advice  ;D. Good luck!

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »
shuboyje: Good catch, I meant to say 2 sheets of 8.5" x 22" ( for total of 17x22).   Wow, 17 3/4 x 21? that is tight but doable.

Mary Ann: Thanks.

One last edit: I guess I'll do a  total of 17x21.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:52:20 PM by Dorkmeat »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
It is up to you.  I went kind of wide, but it seems to be working out ok. Let's see what Scott or JD think about it.  Best thing for you to do if you haven't already done it is to make a cardboard template with the dimensions you think you will use to make sure you are comfortable with the way it looks and the way the door closes.
Mary Ann

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
hmm, good idea.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
Best thing for you to do if you haven't already done it is to make a cardboard template with the dimensions you think you will use to make sure you are comfortable with the way it looks and the way the door closes.

That's all the advice you need. Just remember to consider the lip on your racks when doing your cardboard template. You can raise it above the lip like Mary Anne did, or just go up against it (that's what I did). My plate is 18 x 20, if I raised it I would have probably gained 2 more inches. I make 18" pies so I have to be right on the money when launching on an 18" plate.

Josh

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
Which of these two options are better:
1/2" A572 grade 50
or
3/8" A36 grade steel

I couldn't find the thermal properties of the a572 so I need help!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
I'm not sure about A50 but I'm pretty sure that A36 is hot rolled steel and that is what you want.  But you should get 1/2" thick.  Scott will probably know the differences between them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:58:31 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
A36 steel is common, run of the mill, generic steel. Any other specification is uncommon/specialty steel.  Specialty steel will always cost more, it will never give you any qualities that you'll need, and could possibly utilize components that aren't safe for food use.  A36 is always what you want to look for.

Now, we've had some members who've known metal workers and that's given them access to free or very low priced special alloys.  If you've got a similar in, I wouldn't refuse a special alloy, but, like I said, I'd look at the components to make sure it's food safe. If you're getting an amazing deal on the A572, let me know and I'll research it's constituents.

As far as the sizing goes, I think you've gotten some good advice. The only thing I'd reiterate is that if you ever plan on being serious about NY style pizza, you'll want the largest plate possible and that you need gaps for air on the sides (horizontal), but not on the front.  If you can fit an 18" (or larger) deep plate from the back wall to the door, measure it to the nearest 1/8".  Keep in mind that you'll get some space in front of the shelf and to make sure to utilize it.  If your shelf has a lip (many do these days), I highly recommend taking the route Mary Ann took by raising the plate above it. Measure carefully.

As far as the gaps on the sides go, it's about horizontal real estate vs. weight.  I think Mary Ann is in the right ballpark with 20". I went from 17 x 21 soapstone to 17 x 17 steel, and, I have to admit, making sure I hit the lateral target is kind of a hassle.  I'll probably get used to it over time, but, right now, since I'm concentrating so much on aligning the pie from back to front, adding the extra stress of the side to side placement isn't much fun.  If you want to trim a little bit of the weight, 19" isn't the end of the world, but I think 20" is a pretty happy number for the side to side dimension.

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
Scott: I do happen to know a person in the steel industry ::)
He gave me the following options (as stated above):
1/2" A572 grade 50
or
3/8" A36 grade steel

That is what he uses and what he has on hand.
Google failed me on my research of the A572 so I'm going to lean on the community for which to buy.  Thanks for the help/advice.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Did you get your steel plates yet?  Curious to find out how you like them?
Mary Ann

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
Thanks for asking.  I did get them.  I went with the 3/8" A36 grade steel because I couldn't find any info on the  A572 grade 50.  They were gifted to me.

I can't really tell the how they perform against my old pizza stone because I am working with a new dough and sauce recipe.  However, last night was my 12th pie on the steel and it was the best my dough has ever turned out.  Seriously, it was one of the best crusts I've ever had in my life (although the sauce and cheese was a let down).  So, I guess you could say that I'm happy with how it performs  ;)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:09:02 AM by Dorkmeat »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
Glad to hear it.  I've had my steel since about the beginning of September and every week I feel like my pizzas outdo the ones I've made from the previous week.  I usually make pizza every Friday night but I'm also making some tonight because I think I may have an addiction.... :-\

What style of pizza are you making currently, what brand/type of tomatoes and cheese are you using?  Maybe I can help  ;)

Post some pics please.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
Mary Ann, I've got pizza on my mind too often also.

I ultimately want to make Neapolitan Style but I'm currently working within New York Style mostly because of my oven (550F max).

My last dough recipe was Scott 123's Easy Pizza Dough.  Super easy to make and the best tasting so far.  I'm planning on using this one for the time being while I learn the ropes.

For my last couple batches I think I used grande (from costco) mozz.  I'm not too excited about the flavor of it so I'm looking at some of these:
Restaurant Depot
Calabro
Dragone
Supremo Italiano 3 cheese blend

The sauce was Cento certified whole tomatoes that I put through a food mill and added a little sugar/salt to taste.  I used all the water from the can which in hind sight was a mistake because it made a very watery sauce.  Next time I'll remove the water and then run it through the mill.

So, a pic of my second pie (out of 12) from my steel (below).  I realize this doesn't look New York and so I'll probably veer toward a more traditional looking New York pie in the future.  Ingredient suggestions welcome.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
Looks great!  I used his 123 dough once too.  I think you might be ready for this dough, especially if you're making more than one pizza per batch.  I usually make three 14" pies and one batch of garlic knots with the link below.  But tonight I'm going to test my stretching skills to 17"

Reply#60 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20732.60.html

It's the same recipe as the 123 pizza thread but scaled up for more pizzas using bleached, bromated flour.  I use Best Bakers Patent flour from Pillsbury. 

For sauce I have been using Sclafani crushed tomatoes(blue label) which are pretty tasty right out of the can, but what would you expect from Jersey Tomatoes?!  I also like Stanislaus Tomato Magic #10 can which I use for Friday pizza and the rest for Sunday pasta and meatballs.  When I get into NP pies, I will go back to Cento San Marzanos.

For cheese I am still experimenting.  Wow, your Costco sells Grande?  What state are you in?  I really like the three cheese blend from RD but shhhhh, don't tell Scott because it's got cheddar in it >:D. I've also used their shredded NY blend and their straight up WM LM shredded, their WM LM mozzarella loaves and I currently have a Grande WM LM mozzarella loaf that I'm using.  Don't like supermarket cheese, at all.  I saw some Calabro cheese at Whole Paycheck, errr, I mean Whole Foods, but didn't get it because I'm still working on the Grande loaf.  That will be next.  Haven't tried Dragone yet, maybe the next time I'm at Walmart I'll look for it.

On NP front I too am waiting until I get my NY pies dialed in.  But it will be very soon.  I just need to activate my Ischia starter and read all of TXCraig1's threads.  Also play around with my oven's broiler setting and take temp readings with my IR thermometer.  So far, I can get my steel to 604F degrees by preheating at 550 convection for about 90 minutes.

Hope at least some of this information helps.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
That dough recipe looks close to his easy one except for using bromated flour and an extra balling so I'll give it a try after I find a bromated flour.

Sclafani was high on my list of tomatoes to try and I'll add that to my 'get list' also.

I could be incorrect about the Grande, I'll have to look in my cheese drawer later to confirm -- but I'm from Indiana.

How are you making your sauce?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
Sclafani crushed tomatoes are pretty thick (which from your previous comments, it sounds like you'll like these).  I open up the can and add a little bit of water to get the rest of the tomatoes hanging onto to the bottom of the can out into a 4 cup container.  I add a little bit of fresh crushed garlic, salt, sugar, and fresh basil to taste and just a tiny drizzle of good Sicilian EVOO.  Some members also add oregano or marjoram, but I don't.  I do not have measurements to give you on the additions to the sauce because I just eyeball it (probably watch Rachel Ray too much  :-\) Then I hit it with the immersion blender for a few seconds to incorporate everything, especially the garlic.  Then I put the lid on and keep it in the fridge until I'm ready to bake.

I do not simmer sauce prior to bake, because IMO it cooks on the pie.  But it really comes down to your taste preferences.
Mary Ann

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
That looks really solid.  I can't imagine that is authentic NY style sauce with the cost of the fresh basil but I bet it adds a nice twist -- i like your choice of using fresh (not dried) ingredients.
What's the impact of the EVOO in the sauce?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Thank you. Although it's probably not authentic NY style to add the OO either, it gives the sauce a nice olivey taste - I love olives almost as much as I love pizza :drool:
Mary Ann

pizzapan