Author Topic: Getting my starter started.  (Read 506 times)

Offline Golden Needle

Getting my starter started.
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:34 PM »
I think I have a SF starter going, it seems to be doing what its supposed to, I think, I'm such a rookie.   Just a couple of questions,   I have been using a metal spoon to stir my starter and today I read somewhere that metal should not be used???   Have I screwed it up???     Question 2:   I've been reading conflicting articles as to what tempurature to keep it at,  I started at 90 for the first day and now I'm keeping it at room tempurature (day 4),   am I doing it right or should I be having it at the higher temp???

Thank you,   Karen

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Re: Getting my starter started.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
Karen:

For the limited amount of time that the spoon is in contact, I don't think there's a problem. I use a wire whisk to mix my starter. As far as temperature goes, I would try to keep it around 78-80 degrees for the rest of the week until it is well established.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
A metal spoon won't hurt anything for stirring. I only use metal (stainless steel) spons, forks whisks, etc. You would not wat to store it in a metal container however.

If you're worried about it's progress. Post some pictures of it before feeding and at it's maximum expansion and let us know how long it takes to get there.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline mvd

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »
Craig,

You would not wat to store it in a metal container however.

What is the reasoning for that, exactly?
Mike

Offline Golden Needle

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  My starter turned its corner on Day 6 and is doing what its supposed to.   Made pizza with it last night and it had a mild tangy flavor, great crumb and was a totally awwesome pizzs.   I'm going to continue to feed it twice a day for the next few days to see if I can get the tangyness to increase.

I'm glad I can use my stainless steel with the dough,   I'm not a big fan of wooden or plastic type spoons as they always seem to break when I use them.

Karen