Author Topic: How often do you??  (Read 603 times)

Offline Golden Needle

How often do you??
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
Since this is a pizza making forum, I was wondering.....How often do you have/make pizza?    And    How old were you when you had your first piece of pizza??

My answers:     I would love to have pizza every day but with what my DH does for a living our made at home pizza is limited to Dec-Mar when I know he will be here for a 7pm supper (the rest of the year, he could be home anytime between 4 and 10 pm for supper, dough products are sorta hard to deal with with that range of time)

I was 18 before I had my first piece of pizza....I grew up with meat, potato and vegetable all in there own little piles on the plate.  The town I live in had just gotten a Pizza Hut....we were all in heaven having a great joint we could go to that our parents wouldn't set foot in, in fact my 85 year old father has never had a piece of pizza.

Karen

Offline Meatballs

Re: How often do you??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
I've been eating pizza since I was born and could pick it up (I don't think my mother ever strained it).  I grew up in a Catholic Italian household and my father's idea of meatless Friday was cheese pizza, how cool.  I now make pizza at least once a week for dinner and make smaller lunch pizzas once or twice weekly (well calzones and strombolis in there too).

If you learn to make a refrigerated dough, like the Lehmann dough on this site, you can make pizza on short notice.  I make the dough once a week, one or two 12 inch pizza balls and  four to six 7 inch balls for lunches (either for pizza, calzone or stromboli or pitas).  The dough keeps up to 5 days or so and I pull it out when I want it.  If you know within 2 hours or so of when DH is coming home you can prepare the topings (grate cheese, cook sausage, etc) and put in refrigerator.  Pull out the dough and let it rest on the counter for up to 2 hours and then form, top and bake the pizza before he can change his clothes after getting home, any time between 24 hours and 5 days of making the dough, how cool.

My wife had a childhood like yours, I call the meat, starch, vegetable plate the "3 blop method" of plating, no kidding.  I've tried to share my rich food culture with her since we started dating 38 years ago.  Needless to say, I make the pizza and pasta around here.  Try the Lehmann dough, you won't be disappointed.

Ron

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: How often do you??
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Since early last year I have been making pizza at least once per week. This is a big increase in pizza eating. Before it. Was maybe once or twice a month. Making my own dough and the opportunities and variations available make me wonder if I will ever have enough time to learn it all.
I really can't remember when I had my 1st pizza, but I suspect it was in high school, in the 60s.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles