Author Topic: Sticky on Starters?  (Read 807 times)

Offline mahai

Sticky on Starters?
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »
Ok, I am finally thinking about using a starter. I went to the Starters/Sponges forum and was overwhelmed.

Is there a "catch all" sticky on getting started? I'm thinking about Ischia but don't know the first thing about using starter for pizza making.

Where do I source?
How do I start?
How do I keep it going?
etc, etc, etc.

Thanks,

Mahai

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Sticky on Starters?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:55:40 AM »
Grab a chair and a snack, and read.  I have been here a year or two, I suggest you use the search function for 'starters'.

Your overewhelmed?  Welcome to the forum, overwhelmed is the least problem of your pizza journey. :chef: :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
You can get the Ischia starter here: www.sourdo.com (It's one of the Italian starters). The instructions that come with it will tell you how to activate and care for it.

Here is how I use it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.msg202069.html#msg202069  Quite a few folks have followed these directions with good success. I'm happy to help with questions you may have along the way.

I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed, but it is a complex subject with many variables. There is no easy, one-size-fits-all answer. Wherever you start, you will almost certainyl have to tweak something - probably lots of things. The more you dig in and read, the better because you will find little bits here and there that work in your unique situation. And, don't think you have to read it all at once before you start making pies - just start experimenting and read, read, read. The more you know, the easier it will be to know what tweaks and adjustments to make. Sourdough success is very much about knowledge and hands-on experience.

CL
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:24:57 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mahai

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
Thanks Gents!

I appreciate your advice and will start reading, and reading some more!

Looking forward to my weekend off (starts next Friday) so I can really dive in and read!

Thanks again,

Mahai

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »
Ok, I am finally thinking about using a starter. I went to the Starters/Sponges forum and was overwhelmed.

Is there a "catch all" sticky on getting started? I'm thinking about Ischia but don't know the first thing about using starter for pizza making.

Where do I source?
How do I start?
How do I keep it going?
etc, etc, etc.

Thanks,

Mahai

Mahal, very good question. I am sure a lot of members want to know the same info.
Good luck on your starter journey and pizza making.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Rick M

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Mahai,

I'm glad you asked that question because I'v been thinking the same thing!    I'm starting to understand the process about what it is and how to keep it going.  Sound like a Chia Pet, you have to keep feeding it.  Just ordered some on line from www.sourdo.com   ordered the Italian starter.    I will have three types of yeast to try out now, IDY, CAKE and "ACTIVE YEAST"

Rick M
It was love at first Slice!

pizzapan