Author Topic: Sausage - Shoulder Picnic vs Boston Butt  (Read 675 times)

Offline camwell

• I Love Pizza!
Sausage - Shoulder Picnic vs Boston Butt
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »
Planning to try another shot at making Italian sausage. (Will be using a food processor since we don't have a grinder.)

Just saw pork shoulder picnic on sale, but I've seen a lot of recommendations/recipes for using Boston butt specifically. Will it make that much difference in terms of taste and texture if I use picnic instead of Boston butt?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Sausage - Shoulder Picnic vs Boston Butt
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »
The two are connected together on the pig. More bone, skin, and connective tissue in the picnic, so the yield will be lower, but the taste and texture will be pretty much the same.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »
Boston butt.

I believe this cut has more fat (could be wrong).  It is what I aways use, and I think what most sausage makers use.

Don't include the skin, unless you're going for greatness and want to make Cotechino!

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
I'm not a very experienced sausage maker, but from my experience, and from what butchers have told me, you'll want to add fat even with a butt.

And I'd choose the butt over the picnic because it's easier to break down.

Offline Tony2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
I've been making sausage for over 30 years and in my opinion you do not need to add any fat to a Boston butt.  I believe an average butt contains about 30% fat wheras a lot of the commercial stuff is 40-50%.  You can really taste the flavor of the pork with less fat and it is somewhat healthier too.

Offline Irish Pizzaman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
I use shoulder with added fat.  I have a source for heritage hogs with awesome back fat.

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
I've been making sausage for over 30 years and in my opinion you do not need to add any fat to a Boston butt.  I believe an average butt contains about 30% fat wheras a lot of the commercial stuff is 40-50%.  You can really taste the flavor of the pork with less fat and it is somewhat healthier too.

Maybe in the good old day's, but nowadays the boston butts come out of the cyrowrap with no more than a quarter inch of the luscious back fat! It used to be that you got upwards of 3/4 inch of hard white back fat to richen up your sausage blend, but not anymore. If you ask the butcher for fat back, odds are you're going home empty-handed. What to do?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »
Maybe in the good old day's, but nowadays the boston butts come out of the cyrowrap with no more than a quarter inch of the luscious back fat! It used to be that you got upwards of 3/4 inch of hard white back fat to richen up your sausage blend, but not anymore. If you ask the butcher for fat back, odds are you're going home empty-handed. What to do?

^^^    Heck yeah....butts are so lean man it's a joke.  They are conditioning folks/tricking them into accepting the ever increasing price of pork.  Water injected "meaty" looking "lean" an "healthier" looking pork. They're try'in to screw it up....you'll see.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »

If you have access to a local producer they will almost always have fatback available and usually at a very reasonable price even when the pork itself is quite dear. Buy local, eat healthier.

-Crispy

Offline Pizzaking2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
If you have access to a local producer they will almost always have fatback available and usually at a very reasonable price even when the pork itself is quite dear. Buy local, eat healthier.

-Crispy

thanks for the suggestion, i think that is the next step on the ladder!

Offline roksngr

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
What about using country style ribs?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
What about using country style ribs?
That is just sliced butt but higher cost.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
Boneless skinless shoulder at Costco $1.95 a pound.  Add about 10% more fat and your good to go.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »
Boneless skinless shoulder at Costco $1.95 a pound.  Add about 10% more fat and your good to go.

Interesting....never seen one offered with that sort of prepping. They advertise it as being good to "stuff" , cowboy?

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »

Just bought one from Sam's club (same price)  a few days ago and smoked and pulled it.....very moist and good.  I have always purchased them "skinless", but most times they are bone-in and sometimes not.   As for fat content, I have used the same shoulders without adding fat and and made some kick-butt :)  sausage.
tom