Author Topic: This Is Strange...  (Read 1642 times)

Offline ephman

• I Love Pizza!
This Is Strange...
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:29:51 PM »
hi,

alright i made a dough yesterday evening around 7pm. 

100%, Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, 7.62 oz.
57.3%, Water, 4.36 oz.
2.4%, Salt, 0.18 oz. (between 7/8 and 1 t.)
1.79%, Extra-virgin olive oil, 0.14 oz. (a bit less than 7/8 t.)
0.30%, IDY, 0.023 oz.

put it in the fridge, and totally forgot about it.  came home today around 2pm remembered it was there, took a look and it didn't rise, not even a bit.  so i took it out and left it on the counter and it started rising, it's about 6 hours later.  would you use it?  or will i get sick if i make a pie with it?   i hope somebody reads this soon, i have about 3 hours until i'm going to be STARVING!!!

thanks for the bandwidth,
ephman

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: This Is Strange...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 07:56:11 PM »
I would use it for sure.  You aren't going to get sick from it.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »
 Hi ephman,
 It is possible that the dough was really cold going into the fridge and may have needed a little more time to show a rise. If the dough has not risen much this does not necessarily mean it's not properly fermented. The dough should not rise by that much using the retarded dough process. The fact that it is rising after being on the counter for a a few hours is normal. This just tells me that the yeast is active and was active when you put it in the fridge last night. There is no problem with the dough and can still make for a great pizza. Chiguy

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 08:25:13 PM »
ephman,

Nathan is right. Use it. Although Caputo 00 doughs are typically room-temperature fermented they can also be cold fermented (as has been described in detail at the A16 thread). After 6 hours of warmup at room temperature, the dough should be fine.

Please let us know how things work out.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 08:32:37 PM »
ephman,

I agree with chiguy also. The small amount of yeast (0.30%), fairly modest hydration (57.3%), and fairly high salt content (2.4%) can quite easily translate into a dough that will not rise much under refrigeration. And if it is cold where you are, the fermentation process can be slower still. But all the enzymatic and other activities are still at work, just at a slower pace. I suspect that you can go out a lot farther than 6 hours without harming the dough.

Peter

Offline ephman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 09:54:42 PM »
worked like a charm... thanks guys.

thanks,
ephman