Author Topic: Tom L. Recipe Trouble! Help  (Read 2261 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tom L. Recipe Trouble! Help
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
Now for my Questions:

1. Is it possible to add ice to my water to drop the temperature in order to achieve 80-85% DDT? (Adjusting the room temperature is not an option at this point)

2. I am having trouble with the browning of my crust, Can the bleach in the bread flour I am using be causing that?

3.  I added sugar to my recipe to help in the browning process, but nothing noticeably different.  Is there anything else I can do?

4.  I only have access to All Purpose and Bread Flour here.  Which is more preferable to use? ( I do NOT have access to High Gluten Flour)

5. What are the desired temperature for my Gas Baker's Pride Oven, and how long should I bake my Pies?

6. Can IDY be affected it is not stored properly? ( for example, after opening should it be put in a jar or container for storing?  Is the heat in my kitchen going to affect the IDY during storage? Should it be stored in the fridge?)
iareto,

It is very hard to answer your questions without knowing the exact Lehmann dough formulation you are using, the way you are making the dough, and how you are managing the dough, up to and including when you use the dough to make pizza. Without that information, for example, I cannot answer or attempt to answer questions 2 and 3, except to say that the bleaching of the flour should not be the cause of insufficient crust browning.

With respect to question 1, yes, you should use ice to achieve the desired water temperature that will produce a finished dough temperature of around 80-85 degrees F. Of course, you want to be sure that the weight of water is at the value as specified in the recipe you are using. To be sure of this, you would want to use a scale to weigh the water.

As between all-purpose flour and bread flour (question 4), I agree with scott123 that bread flour is the better choice.

With respect to the storage question on the IDY (question 6), you might read Tom Lehmann's post on this matter at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=73843#p73843. In your case, with a high ambient temperature setting, you may want to store the IDY in the cooler when not in use.

Peter

Offline iareto42

Re: Tom L. Recipe Trouble! Help
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 03:58:35 AM »
what temps can your Y-600 do?

approx 600 deg