Author Topic: Pepe's Pizza Sauce?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
Pepe's Pizza Sauce?
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
Hi All, definitely a newbie so go easy on me, I know enough to be dangerous...but I'm reading and learning daily.

I've been making par baked pies on the grill for about 4-5 years.  From New Haven County so I've been to Sally's and Pepe's literally hundreds of times.  Trying to get to the next level.

Looking to duplicate a Pepe's pizza pie.  Have done a bunch a forum searches and have some recipes to try from other forum members.

I'm trying to put it all together.

I'm interested in any info I can get about Pepe's pizza replication.

Specifically my question today is does anyone know for certain what type of tomatoes they use.  My research tells me Sclafani.  There are a number of different types.  I went to Stop and Shop today and bought a 28 oz. can for $8.  Sclafani DOP

Thanks in advance.
Polack trying to make pizza

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Pepe's Pizza Sauce?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »
Pepe's is definitely on my "best ever" list. I went there a few times in the mid 1980s, and it really is amazing pizza.  I gather the coal-fired oven has quite a lot to do with the flavor of the pizza. 

If you really want to try to duplicate Pepe's pizza, you should enlist the help of Pete-zza, who is a real expert on the subject of duplicating a style.  He will let you know that you have to do a great deal of research on your own before you actually try to duplicate the pizza.  There is a long list of information you will need in order to get started.  Things like what type of flour do they use, what kind of tomatoes, etc.  It's kind of like private detective work.  Anyway, best of luck and I hope you are successful in duplicating the fantastic pies from Frank Pepe's. 

Regards,

TinRoof