Author Topic: I am getting tired of being derailed  (Read 1136 times)

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
Re: I am getting tired of being derailed
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
Your journey will be the right one Walter, regardless of obstacles along the way, because your heart's always in the right place.
Jeff

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 06:09:23 AM »
Oh this is many days old but I'm just now reading it.  Ugg this makes me sad.

Thanks.  It makes me sad too but I know my step will keep the cause going without all the BS I deal with everyday in the public school system.  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:19 AM »
Your journey will be the right one Walter, regardless of obstacles along the way, because your heart's always in the right place.

Thanks! I know as long as I keep that as my guide things will always go the right way.  Walter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »
Big government telling you how to run your life.  Sucks Walter.  Hopefully Ohio votes red in 2016.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »
Hopefully Ohio votes red in 2016.

So they can slash educate spending to fund tax breaks for the rich like they've done here in Michigan?  I'm sure that will be GREAT for Walter....
-Jeff

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »
So they can slash educate spending to fund tax breaks for the rich like they've done here in Michigan?  I'm sure that will be GREAT for Walter....

I'm sure if the schools were full and were doing a good job teaching the kids that issue wouldn't happen.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
We've already gotten too political for this time and place, but if Walter's issues where that easy to fix it would be great.  Even if this were a political issue you still have to follow the money to get to the solution, money is the only thing that politicians care about.  Odds are the regulations troubling Walter starter off with good intentions, and were quickly twisted for somebodies monetary gain.  I'm sure somebody with deep pockets owns the food service companies that are allowed to provide the food the children eat at school. 
-Jeff

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
Yes everything with nutrition laws were done with good intention.  The problem is the infrastructure. schools do not have cooks.  They are staffed with people that open cans and reheat pre cooked food that is of such poor quality and packed with preservatives which makes it so bad kids throw most of it right in the garbage.  To keep federal funding for the free and reduced lunches each child must take a complete meal. Once they take it they are free to pitch as much as they want.  Our cafeteria custodian tells me at least 50% goes right in the trash as soon as they get out of the food line.  It is perplexing to me that we feed our kids such garbage and parents don't fight it.

Anyway, today I met with the administrators and chefs for Bon Appetit who are the food providers for Denison University.  Denison is a high end liberal arts college and many wealthy parents send their kids there.  The longtime food vendor there was as bad as public school cafeteria food.  Parents started saying they wouldn't send their kids there anymore if the food didn't get better.  That prompted them to hire Bon Appetit 2.5 years ago. I hit it off with them right away because their chefs and administrators are from around the world and we have much in common.  They brought me today tears with their support.  Bon Appetit has demonstrated to me over and over that they care with stuff like this and hiring any student I send them at $10/hour.  Basically they said they will do whatever they can to help us stay afloat.  I told them we are making plenty of money.  What we need is work.  I brought focaccia bread, french baguettes, sesame seed topped semolina baguettes, and hot dog buns.  The 4 chefs are world class and all the administrators have deep culinary backrounds.  So I felt like I was on a cooking show as they came up and sampled the goods. 

They went nuts on everything and we talked quantities.  I could make a ton of stuff for them but lack the ovens/mixers/manpower so we settled on what we can handle.  I had so many compliments on the products I got dizzy.  Just today at school I tried to give these products away to staff and only 2 took me up on it. One said the focaccia had not flavor and the other said the baguette was stale because the crust was crunchy.  I offered about 20 people free and only these two accepted.  I can't give my stuff away to the 200 people that work at our school and when I do get takers many complain it is to much this or not enough of that.  If I sell 1 loaf a bread a week to the staff that is a big deal and if I get 2 a week to take some for free that is a bigger deal yet Bon Appetit wanted to have me make at least 300 baguette loaves a week ???  The people I work with  are walmart culture.  It gets very depressing at times and to be given high praises today from cooks that have worked in top restaurants around the world was something I rarely get out here in food waste land.  I brought a pizza too.  The ones that ate it said it was the best they ever had and several are natives of NYC and cooked many years there.  At school most who buy our pizza say it is cheaper than the cafeteria lunch and that is why they buy it.  Many say they buy for price and taste is not a factor.  Being raised 15 minutes outside NYC, living in Brussels, Austin, SF, Sonoma County, coming here to OH has been a real trip food wise.

Here is the stuff we came up with that we can do in addition to the organic whole wheat Amish flour bagels we do for Bon Appetit each week. They said to feel it out and if we can do more go for it and if it is too much back off.  This amount will fit in nice with our current work load I think and most importantly it will keep my students working a full day which trains them to work a full day in a competitive job.

200 hot dog buns and 16 half sheet pans of focaccia for each delivery, 3 times a week, totaling 600 hot dog buns, and 48 half sheet pans focaccia per week.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:11:44 PM by waltertore »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
Sounding good Walter.  ;D Looking forward to seeing the pictures of a days production of breads, bagels, buns and "stuff"  Looks like a workable solution.  Happy for you and the kids.  If you do a special event and need a hand, let me know.  If I am free, I'll be there to help, gratis of course.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
Sounding good Walter.  ;D Looking forward to seeing the pictures of a days production of breads, bagels, buns and "stuff"  Looks like a workable solution.  Happy for you and the kids.  If you do a special event and need a hand, let me know.  If I am free, I'll be there to help, gratis of course.

thanks Dave! Everyday is a special event :)  I wish we could do more baguettes but the skill needed to make them is too  high for my kids.  I am working on an easy way to make the focaccia bread.  My plan is to take the wet dough (it is very wet) place a 40oz lump onto a parchment/brushed with oil lined 1/2 sheet pan.  Then instead of hand/finger pressing them to fill the pan We will oil the top of the dough and press another 1/2 sheet pan onto it to flatten it out/fill out the pan.  I think this will work good.  The finger/hand pressing to fit the pan is pretty frustrating for most of my kids.  Walter

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
Do you do a single day baguette, or a two day with a fridge ferment overnight? 

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
Do you do a single day baguette, or a two day with a fridge ferment overnight?

A single day with rests/stretch & folds/rise/shape/couche/baked on the deck.  It is about a 3-4 hour window from beginning to end.  Walter
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:44:32 PM by waltertore »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
Walter, I have been wondering , since this thread started, who's kitchen are you going to use to bake the products for Bon Appetit? If your present kitchen, owned by the school , I imagine, how does that work? No big deal, just wondering?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
Walter, I have been wondering , since this thread started, who's kitchen are you going to use to bake the products for Bon Appetit? If your present kitchen, owned by the school , I imagine, how does that work? No big deal, just wondering?

Mark

Hi Mark:  This is all with my classroom bakery and not a private venture.  Walter

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:58 AM »
Have you considered getting a bread moulder for baguettes?   http://www.bloemhof.com/moulders.php?c=12&p=26

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 06:13:28 AM »
Have you considered getting a bread moulder for baguettes?   http://www.bloemhof.com/moulders.php?c=12&p=26

Thanks for the suggestion but such a machine is way too expensive and big for our space.  We only have 2 blodgett deck ovens to cook the bread in and that limits us to like 16 loaves per run due to the door configuration on the 1000's.  They do not open the width of the oven stones/deck floor like the new ovens or a home oven so I can only lauch 5 to a bread board and the 3 on individual size boards to each oven. Walter

Offline caymus

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »
We only have 2 blodgett deck ovens to cook the bread

Walter, are these the same ovens as you use for Pizza?  I assume you bake bread at a different temp.  Is it time consuming to change bake temps?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »
Walter, are these the same ovens as you use for Pizza?  I assume you bake bread at a different temp.  Is it time consuming to change bake temps?

Yes we cook all our artisan breads and pizzas in the stack of blodgett 1000's.  Changing temps is a big hassle.  Heating up higher could take an hour and cooling lower can take hours.  Plus the deck size/oven door configuration is not made for mass producing breads.   Here are our ovens and imagine the deck extends about 10 inches past the door width.  Than makes launching 30" baguettes impossible in that area.  Walter

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:09 AM »
Walter,

Thank you for posting an update.   Now I only feel sorry for the poor students....

Tony