Author Topic: How much do you pay for your commissary?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
How much do you pay for your commissary?
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
Hi everyone, had a quick question any WFO guys could answer. What's a good price to pay for renting a kitchen out as a commissary? I was quoted $30/hour and I'm
Looking for some insight

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: How much do you pay for your commissary?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »
Hi everyone, had a quick question any WFO guys could answer. What's a good price to pay for renting a kitchen out as a commissary? I was quoted $30/hour and I'm
Looking for some insight
I have had lots of inquires from small artisan bakers to rent our space. I looked into this via checking out the Ohio State University when we first started The Smiling With Hope Bakery because we had to be self sufficent or fold.  A friend works with someone who is involved with their food industry center.  I found out they rent space by the hour and by what equipment you use. You also have to have a million dollar insurance policy or some such amount.  I remember working in small bakeries in Austin, TX and they would rent it out to small time bakers in off hours.  I worked the night shift often and would be side by side with one of the renters.  This allowed them to sell their goods to stores and such.  They had to clean up all they used and I was told to observe how they treated the equipment. 

For $30/hr and all  you need is there is a great deal IMO.  The OSU fees were really high. the key is to be completely organized and know how to use all the commercial equipment.  That way you maximize your time and production.  If you are not familiar with commercial equipment and working big batches it will be a learning curve that will cost you some $ but if you are in it for the long run it work out and maybe the owner can help you get organized.  Most people that bake at home have no idea of the transition to commercial.  they think they have it in their head but in reality it is big learning curve.  Walter

http://foodindustries.osu.edu/about-us
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:07:02 PM by waltertore »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
It all depends of the location.
The kitchen by the hour I found here right outside of Dallas was $18 per hour for weekend and evenings. The equipment was limited and unsure on the refrigeration.
So if the kitchen is well equipped with storage/refrigeration available, the $30 is not bad.
A good mixer with a dough baller can reduce the time by half or even a third.

As waltertore said, if you are well organized and make the most of it, it may be comparable if not better to a less $ kitchen with less equipment.

As mentioned in my PM, if the staff is around when you are there, pick their brain to get advice and suggestion to get better at it  ;)

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:15:28 AM »
There is a beautifully equipped commissary in my city for $30 an hour, and another one that is not quite as nice, but still pretty serious for 1400 a month.   If I used the hourly one I would be out of business :)   

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:20:29 AM »
I figure you would be making dough and prepping toppings/sauce?  If that is it, you could knock out a lot of dough and toppings in an  hour. Walter

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:04 AM »
Yeah my whole time will be dough preparation  pretty much. I was able to get her to agree to $20/hr for first 2 months and we'll reassess after that. Give me a little more breathing room at the beginning.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
There are commissaries here for around $25/hr that are very well equipped. They also have a monthly rate that is very reasonable and includes an advertising package. Food Fort, i think they call it. You could also try to trade pizza for commissary. I haven't paid for a commissary use in 3 years. We use a winery that only has refrigeration. I make all my dough by hand and just prep there for a couple hours for each gig, using their refrigeration. They're great folks and I do a couple personal events per year to keep em happy. Everybody wins!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
 if you can buy a stand up one door commercial refrigerator and put in your garage or home you could do all of your events at one time. this would maximize productivity of that hourly rate.   

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »
if you can buy a stand up one door commercial refrigerator and put in your garage or home you could do all of your events at one time. this would maximize productivity of that hourly rate.   

You get charged per hour to use a refrigerator? It is legally allowed to store your dough in a "home" refrigerator?
Josh

JD's NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34538.0
JD's Neapolitan using Pizza Party WFO: (Coming soon!)
http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
You get charged per hour to use a refrigerator? It is legally allowed to store your dough in a "home" refrigerator?

I don't think it's legal here in central ohio, but this would be something that is specific to your location. Check with the local health dept. to be sure.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 06:48:09 PM »
No it us not legal, but how dangerous is dough. And tomato sauce held at proper temperatures. Do you hnow how many mobile buisnesses just use a resturant name and actually prep at home

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »
No it us not legal, but how dangerous is dough. And tomato sauce held at proper temperatures. Do you hnow how many mobile buisnesses just use a resturant name and actually prep at home

Yikes, ok it's probably best to stop talking about this.

I know it varies by commissary, but can someone clarify the refrigerator question? If I were to store doughballs for 24hrs would I typically get charged 24hrs of use at the $20-$40/hr rate?
Josh

JD's NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34538.0
JD's Neapolitan using Pizza Party WFO: (Coming soon!)
http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »

He asked about legal limitations, so I answered. I'm not saying don't do it, just talking law here.

I know it varies by commissary, but can someone clarify the refrigerator question? If I were to store doughballs for 24hrs would I typically get charged 24hrs of use at the $20-$40/hr rate?

I'm sure they won't charge you hourly to use refrigeration overnight or whatever, but your best bet is to talk with the ones you're thinking of working with for these kind of details.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 01:13:51 PM »
They should be able to provide some refrigeration space at not extra cost as long as you continue using their kitchen per the hour. See with them but they should be able to show you in one of their cooler a spot designated for you.
They will have, most likely, routine inspection to ensure the fridge is at proper temp, no found is past the expedition date and so on.
If anything goes wrong you want to be able to prove you had systems in place to prevent food born illness.

I would not store anything at home. Dough may be on the safer side but when it comes to sauce and so on it goes quick.
You don't want to have to explain to a health inspector nor insurance company, after a e choli or salmonella poisoning how you thought it was safe to keep in your garage refrigerator.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
Just about all of them.   ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
Yikes, ok it's probably best to stop talking about this.

Your not being charged for storage but for time you make dough or prep other products. Hourly is for actual kitchen time.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
 i do not advocate doing the work at home,  all i am saying is i know operators that do that . we do a county fair every year and sell over 1600 pizzas. all of the work is being done at my restaurant and we deliver all needed products daily. the other vendors that are their are required to make all goods on premise. they complain to the fair board every year about it. because of our mobile license we have been given a variance. what we do is simple and we do not deal with any highly perishable products dough, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and a couple of veggie toppings. the health department checks all of our temperatures and wash facility twice a day to make sure we are following sanitary guidelines.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »
We use a kitchen and Pay $25 per hour.  I get free storage of dough and prepped toppings etc for a few days.  I do some prep onsite.

pizzapan