Author Topic: Baltimore: PG Hampden  (Read 7939 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Baltimore: PG Hampden
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »
Been very busy of late and not around much for a while.

Will update this thread here and there as time progresses with some construction pics and other related thoughts which may help people.

Yesterday was a big step, as landlord completed its work (water tight roof, new roof, boiler repairs and HVAC work) required to bring the space to deliverable condition. So the space has been delivered and I now have the keys.

The 180-day rent free period has officially commenced. Tick, tock......

More later. Cheers --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Ev

Re: Baltimore: PG Hampden
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Congratulations Kelly! How exciting! I can't wait to see the progress! ;D

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
The keys!!!!  That's fantastic.

Kelly, I've been meaning to ask you. As I ponder the PG 'brand,' it's impossible to picture a PG without his trademark, front of the house schmoozing.  Are you planning on spending much time in the front of the house or will you be sticking to the pizza making and letting the pizzas speak for themselves?

Also, I'm not sure if PGs is IDY or CY, but it's definitely not starter. Are you going to follow Paulie's lead or will you go the starter route like you did at the market?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »
Congratulations Kelly, that is awesome!  I also look forward to seeing pictures of the progress too and hope I can get to try your pizzas sometime.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

enter8

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
Scott123, your leavening question is answered in the Slice article:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/pauile-gee-opening-pizzeria-in-baltimore-hampden-neighborhood.html

"I want to create half the menu that's been successful here, our greatest hits: The Greepointer, the Cherry Jones, etc," Giannone said. "The other part of the menu will be [Pizzablogger's] to create, to spread his wings. He also envisions doing "pie swaps," in which successful pies from the Hampden location will appear on the Greenpoint menu.
And what kind of pies might we see from Pizzablogger's part of the menu?
"I am not nearly as creative as someone like Paulie, the crew at Roberta's, TXCraig, etc. when it comes to topping combinations or with pie names," Pizzablogger said. "But I will have a few of my own offerings, with the Hampdenite being a definite one in the summer months. It's simple, but people at the Baltimore Farmer's Market loved it: basically a Margherita with aleppo chiles, calabrian chile oil, and heirloom cherry tomatoes. Definitely a pie with lemons on it, which I always make and love. I often finish my lemon pies with Mike's Hot Honey and sometimes pull the pie with about a minute to go and add crushed pine nuts before putting back into the oven to finish. Wintergreen, Baltimore Flats and a few more may pop-up from time to time, including the Crab Chip. No crabs, but it does use an ingredient Paulie dislikes. All of the regular offerings will use baker's yeast like the Greenpoint location. I may ocassionally offer one round pizza that uses natural leavening as a limited quantity offering on certain nights."

Big congrats to Pizzablogger and Paulie Gee. This is an awesome venture. V. excited for this!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:08:11 PM by enter8 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
Break a leg Kelly...have fun with your new pizza joint!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
Yes sir! wishing you all the best Kelly ! Hang on and enjoy the ride !!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
Man I can't wait to see this unfold... I lived in Bawlimore in the Mid 90's and absolutely loved it.  I haven't been back but plan on taking the kids and wife there soon. 

Thanks Kelly!

Scot

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Re: Baltimore: PG Hampden
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »
Great article - congratulations. I look forward to bringing my family up there some night.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:09:55 AM »
I will be watching and waiting to make a visit.

Tony

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »

Kelly, I've been meaning to ask you. As I ponder the PG 'brand,' it's impossible to picture a PG without his trademark, front of the house schmoozing.  Are you planning on spending much time in the front of the house or will you be sticking to the pizza making and letting the pizzas speak for themselves?

Scott, that’s an astute observation and excellent point. I couldn’t agree more.

It will be much like the evolution at Paulie’s joint in Greenpoint; Like Paulie, I’ll initially be involved with the pizza making until the staff is at a point where they are capable of not needing me behind the make table. At that point, yes, I will be in the front of the house schmoozing with customers, keeping an eye on the finished pies coming out of the oven for quality control, working the music, etc. Much of the reason I believe in Paulie Gee’s is because it is an experience as much as a place to eat good pizza….and people like and appreciate that.

I don’t claim to be as good a people person as Paulie, but I genuinely enjoy meeting people, talking with them, etc.

Man I can't wait to see this unfold... I lived in Bawlimore in the Mid 90's and absolutely loved it.  I haven't been back but plan on taking the kids and wife there soon.  

Scot, I hope we are open when you come back to visit Bawlimore, hon. It is a great town!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

I just spent an hour in the space this morning mapping all of the lights, etc. so the architect coming in to measure for “As-Builts”  can make his way through the space and get the specs to get the computer drawings completed, which will be used for final design consultation and for continuing city permit process materials.

Thanks again and best. --K

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
Wow...high-tech lighting console!   ;D
Looks like you got your work cut out for you Kelly...have fun!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »
Wow...high-tech lighting console!   ;D
Looks like you got your work cut out for you Kelly...have fun!  :chef:

Indeed.

There are random switches all over the place....a few above head level. It was fun scouring the walls and seeing what all of them did. --K

Online scott123

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
I don’t claim to be as good a people person as Paulie, but I genuinely enjoy meeting people, talking with them, etc.

Sounds great, Kelly, I'm glad your sticking with the PG 'branding.' I have no doubt that you'll be a wonderful host.

I'm curious, does Baltimore have anything remotely similar to a PGs?  I know that when Paulie opened, Brooklyn had other eclectic pizza places like Roberta's and Franny's, but I'm wondering if Baltimore has anything along these lines?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I'm curious, does Baltimore have anything remotely similar to a PGs?  I know that when Paulie opened, Brooklyn had other eclectic pizza places like Roberta's and Franny's, but I'm wondering if Baltimore has anything along these lines?

From the standpoint of interesting and quality, out of the "ordinary" topping combinations, Baltimore has places like Iggies and Joe Squared.

From the standpoint of those types of toppings on a Neapolitan-ish crust in a setting like Paulie Gees, Baltimore does not yet have such a place. --K

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 05:13:29 PM »
Congrats Kelly, good luck!

I'm hoping that you will be open by the time we are down there next.

Online scott123

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
From the standpoint of interesting and quality, out of the "ordinary" topping combinations, Baltimore has places like Iggies and Joe Squared.

From your interviews, it seems like you're pretty amicable with these owners, but, if any kind of rivalry did develop, from seeing their pies and yours, I'm not sure there'd be much competition >:D Not that there needs to a rivalry, of course.  There are many paths towards pizza bliss  ;D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
......yes, I will be in the front of the house schmoozing with customers, keeping an eye on the finished pies coming out of the oven for quality control, working the music, etc....

After meeting you only once, I am confident that you can schmooze customers with the best of them.  Knockem' dead.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
Yes anyone that shows up with a thermos full of righteous lemoncello for a quick day of sampling, will be a huge  success for sure  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
From your interviews, it seems like you're pretty amicable with these owners, but, if any kind of rivalry did develop, from seeing their pies and yours, I'm not sure there'd be much competition >:D Not that there needs to a rivalry, of course.  There are many paths towards pizza bliss  ;D

I'm very amicable with several pizzeria owners in Baltimore. None more so than Lisa and Peter at Iggies, who have been very instrumental in helping me chase my dream. They have devoted both their time and their space to me and I am forever grateful of their help.

Joe from Joe Squared has also been very helpful, encouraging and always open for questioning. He and I may very well team up to bring Gragnano to Baltimore (finally for crying the f*** out loud).

There are a couple of others who have always asked to keep our relationship confidential, but have been very helpful to me over the years.

Long story short, I will always be a pizza enthusiast first and foremost. I will continue to eat pizza out and about whenever I can. There is room for various styles of pizza in every city and I firmly believe in the rising waters lifts all boats philosophy. If Baltimore itself can become a pizza destination of sorts, all of the better thought of pizza joints will benefit.

Finally, to help increase "pizza culture" in the city, I do plan to eventually resuscitate the Pieman's Craft event in Baltimore. Just like NYC, I would love to have a few of the owners and pie men of some of the better shops here in Baltimore take part in the event....maybe even bring in a guest pizza maker from NYC. I'll have the space to host such event.

But that is getting ahead of myself. Get the doors open first, get a grip on rocking consistently good pies out of the WFOs, get the business operating successfully and then I can worry about such things in more detail. --K

pizzapan