Author Topic: Baltimore: PG Hampden  (Read 9892 times)

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Re: Baltimore: PG Hampden
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
@PB so glad to hear things are moving along. It's gonna be a slog but one I am certain will be fairly quick (in getting its legs), incredibly interesting, fun and rewarding for you.

My fam loves Baltimore (dad was a Hopkins undergrad ages ago and lil sis recently got a master's there). Great town with lots of character and history.

With great anticipation,
JW
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:19:40 PM by johnnydoubleu »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Kelly, man am I excited for you!!! Are you going to use the same tomatoes as Pauli uses at his pizzeria. Last time I saw him he talked very highly of alta cuchina tomatoes.  He said they were a good replacement for his secret brand.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
So very stoked to see this happen!!!  Swing by my little cafe and grab a pie one Thursday if you need a break!  I'm Downtown!

Terry

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »
Kelly, man am I excited for you!!! Are you going to use the same tomatoes as Pauli uses at his pizzeria. Last time I saw him he talked very highly of alta cuchina tomatoes.  He said they were a good replacement for his secret brand.

Yes, I am going to use the same tomatoes as Paulie.

I am a big fan of the Alta Cucinas. I have been using them for some time now. They are as good or better than most of the tomatoes you will likely find (DOP included) and they are at an attractive price point. Good stuff. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 01:36:03 PM »
So very stoked to see this happen!!!  Swing by my little cafe and grab a pie one Thursday if you need a break!  I'm Downtown!
Terry

Terry, are you are near University of Maryland Medical Center, or am I thinking of someone else?

Thanks. --K

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
@PB so glad to hear things are moving along. It's gonna be a slog but one I am certain will be fairly quick (in getting its legs), incredibly interesting, fun and rewarding for you.

My fam loves Baltimore (dad was a Hopkins undergrad ages ago and lil sis recently got a master's there). Great town with lots of character and history.

With great anticipation,
JW

Thanks Johnny!

It's definitely going to be an interesting ride. A lot of hard work and a lot of fun.  :)  --K

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
I'm pleased as can be, Kelly!  I can't wait to visit, and really looking forward to seeing build pics as your plans unfold!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline passion4pizza

• passion-4-pizza
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
Congrats, Kelly and Paulie!

I was thrilled to read about this on Slice! When Paulie was up here for a visit back in the Fall, you two were talking on the phone but of course Paulie was typically discreet, so we didn't know what was being planned...

This is very exciting, and we can't wait for the road trip!

Cary & Lillian

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:41 AM »
Terry, are you are near University of Maryland Medical Center, or am I thinking of someone else?

Thanks. --K

That's me.  We spoke a long time ago when I was considering opening a place in Meadow Mill.  I own 2 small Coffee Shops on the UM Campus downtown.  I make pizzas on Thursdays at me UM Law School shop.  Cali-style, homemade toppings.  Let me know if you need a break and I'll get you my info.

Terry.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
The old brawd already has a lot of character that looks like an old pizzeria from the 50's (or a dance hall).

With the lights at the right level, even more so.

One of the last pics before some hammers start swinging. Taken the afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday.  :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
Kelly,

That is cool. Your space reminds me of this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9ZP_tTtLc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9ZP_tTtLc</a>
and
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8z1DIMe9Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8z1DIMe9Q</a>

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
Kelly,

That is cool. Your space reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9ZP_tTtLc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8z1DIMe9Q.

Peter

Not too far off.

Maybe we should make the squares on the floor light up like that place in SNF.

Great movie by the way. Thanks for the links.  --K

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
That place Rocks! Love, love the floors ( your not tearing those out are you?  :'()

You may have mentioned this before but where in Baltimore is your joint located?  Thanks

Scot

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
Looks like a cool old VFW hall or summ'in. I'm sure you're probably going to fancy it up but I can't help but picture a family style seating place....can almost picture the pinball machines lining one wall and hear the player piano rolling away in the background. Ah yes..... 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 03:18:05 PM »
Looks like a cool old VFW hall or summ'in.

Bob, your English is confused again. "Summ'in" is what Kelly will be doing at the end of the night when he's counting all that money he'll be bringing in!  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
That place Rocks! Love, love the floors ( your not tearing those out are you?  :'()

You may have mentioned this before but where in Baltimore is your joint located?  Thanks

Scot

Thanks Scot...I think it rocks too!  :)

I love the floors, but they have to go. Those are 9" VAT tiles. Not good.

They will be replaced with new green and white tile to match (as closely as possible) what is in there currently. They may be scuffed up a bit before installation. Time will tell.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »
Looks like a cool old VFW hall or summ'in. I'm sure you're probably going to fancy it up but I can't help but picture a family style seating place....can almost picture the pinball machines lining one wall and hear the player piano rolling away in the background. Ah yes..... 8)

Very much like an old VFW hall. It started life as a grocery store and then was the Hampden Republican Club for many years before we signed the lease.

It ain't gonna be fancied up too much.

You may get your wish on the seating thing....dittos on a pinball or 80s "golden era" arcade game or two. You never know.....

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
Sounds faaantastic Kelly!
Can I count the quarters while you stack da dollahs man?  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
How's it going??

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
How's it going??

For various reasons, several beyond my control, it's going much slower than anticipated.

Although it is always nice to get good news. Received these pics last week of the finished ovens at the Ferarra Workshop, just prior to being shipped from Naples. They have been on the sea for over a week now and just left port call in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Some final obstacles are being dealt with and the final dash should be occurring shortly. Exciting times.

Although, for me at least, probably the most anticipated night(s) in all of pizzadom just took place down in a garage in Texas this past weekend. --K   :)