Author Topic: Baltimore: PG Hampden  (Read 10514 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Baltimore: PG Hampden
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
Those are beautiful.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
Those look amazing. So you're going to have two beast in there huh. I hope you open soon, I'm going to be doing a trip some time in the near future and PG Hampden would definitely be a stop.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 12:47:57 AM »
Wow, congrats Kelly!  So freaking awesome.  So much work though, but worth it!

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 12:53:47 AM »
A look at the Hampden menu has been posted on the website.

Kelly has some very unique, inventive, and inspiring pies on there. Some really cool combinations I've never thought to try!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
Very exciting. Quite a transformation of the front elevation.

The "Hampden Comes Alive" pie looks familiar  ;)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
Wonderful!  Of course, I very enthusiastically applaud the use of Aleppo on the "Hampden Comes Alive!" There also seems to be a lot of Aleppo oil on the vegetarian side, which is right up my alley. I see a road trip in the near future.   8)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:50:54 AM by dhorst »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
Very exciting. Quite a transformation of the front elevation.

The "Hampden Comes Alive" pie looks familiar  ;)

Yes, The Hampdenite from last summer's farmers market.  It was popular. The Aleppo Calabrian combo is great. 
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dhorst

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
Do you think you'll be up and running by this fall?  DMC and I are thinking about heading on a road trip sometime in September or October to visit Norma and maybe we'll swing down to Baltimore if you're open.

Diana

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
Kelly, will you be running your ovens at different temps or did you get 2 simply for volume/quick service?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »
The Aleppo Calabrian combo is great.

I agree  ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:53:07 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 12:36:18 PM »
I think a little pre-opening, PM.com alumni soiree would be awesome! 8) ;)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
I'd come!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »
Kelly, will you be running your ovens at different temps or did you get 2 simply for volume/quick service?

Hi Bob.

Mostly for volume/quick service, especially when considering the size of the joint and take-out together could put on a heavy load.  But also for flexibility.

I would imagine there may be some nights (Tues in particular) where one oven may potentially be able to handle the regular, round pies.

This would be especially true, over time, as we get better at handling multiple pizzas and are able to competently increase the workload in any given oven.  This would allow for the potential to operate the second oven at a lower temperature (600s) for square/sicilian pizzas. We'll have to wait and see if there are any slow nights and also take into account any increasing demand for square pies, once they are offered. It's nice to have some flexibility by having two ovens.

As an aside, this flexibility will come in nicely as I plan to eventually resurrect an annual, Pieman's Craft type event here in Baltimore. I don't pretend to be anywhere near the likes of Mangieri and Polombino during the previous Pieman's Craft events at the old UPN EV space, but I love the idea of that event. Being able to have a high temperature and a lower temperature oven would allow for nearly all of the better pizza owners and/or makers in Baltimore to be able to assemble in our space and cook their style of pizzas at the event.  It would really be a tour de force of the best of Baltimore pizza all under one roof and a great opportunity to thank those pizzeria owners that I have admired and have helped me over the years....and more importantly provide a great event for pizza enthusiasts in the area. 

But that's putting the horse well before the wagon and there are a lot of more important things to worry about right now. But such events, as well as using the latent heat after service for breads, long roasting peppers, tomatoes, etc. are things I will definitely tinker with at some point down the line.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
I agree  ;D

Well, the ideas came from you and Diana, so I would hope so!  ;)

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »

A good idea for sure...you never know. If we did it early enough after the ovens are cured and during pre-opening, bring a pad and pencil to mark down how many pizzas I burn during such an evening!  ::)

Definitely going to be many days of me essentially shackling myself to those ovens and making pies continously over an entire day to speed up the learning curve. Can hardly wait. --K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
....and more importantly provide a great event for pizza enthusiasts in the area. 

And pizza enthusiasts in Texas too.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
And pizza enthusiasts in Texas too.  ;D

Careful....I may put you on the oven side of the make table at such an event.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
Hi Bob.

Mostly for volume/quick service, especially when considering the size of the joint and take-out together could put on a heavy load.  But also for flexibility.

I would imagine there may be some nights (Tues in particular) where one oven may potentially be able to handle the regular, round pies.

This would be especially true, over time, as we get better at handling multiple pizzas and are able to competently increase the workload in any given oven.  This would allow for the potential to operate the second oven at a lower temperature (600s) for square/sicilian pizzas. We'll have to wait and see if there are any slow nights and also take into account any increasing demand for square pies, once they are offered. It's nice to have some flexibility by having two ovens.

As an aside, this flexibility will come in nicely as I plan to eventually resurrect an annual, Pieman's Craft type event here in Baltimore. I don't pretend to be anywhere near the likes of Mangieri and Polombino during the previous Pieman's Craft events at the old UPN EV space, but I love the idea of that event. Being able to have a high temperature and a lower temperature oven would allow for nearly all of the better pizza owners and/or makers in Baltimore to be able to assemble in our space and cook their style of pizzas at the event.  It would really be a tour de force of the best of Baltimore pizza all under one roof and a great opportunity to thank those pizzeria owners that I have admired and have helped me over the years....and more importantly provide a great event for pizza enthusiasts in the area. 

But that's putting the horse well before the wagon and there are a lot of more important things to worry about right now. But such events, as well as using the latent heat after service for breads, long roasting peppers, tomatoes, etc. are things I will definitely tinker with at some point down the line.
Thanks Kelly, you are going to have one faar-out pizza palace there...I know it's going to be an exciting place!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
A good idea for sure...you never know. If we did it early enough after the ovens are cured and during pre-opening, bring a pad and pencil to mark down how many pizzas I burn during such an evening!  ::)

I would love to come down almost any evening or weekend and watch you make pies. 

Offline dhorst

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
I'd be there for sure!

pizzapan