Author Topic: Has anyone tried this?  (Read 4401 times)

Offline spazster

Has anyone tried this?
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »
Has anyone tried putting their pizza stone on the stove burners and then using tongs and oven mitts to put it in the oven to preheat and get a higher temperature before it thermostat kicks in?  I'm thinking about doing this, but I don't have an IR thermometer right now so I can't collect any data. Also, I'm a little worried about the safety risk so I don't want to jump into it just yet.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Has anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »
I wouldn't recommend it at all. To much risk of either burning yourself or damaging your stone due to thermal shock. Best just to put it cold into a cold oven and go from there.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »
Many stone manufacturers say NOT to put the stone in direct contact with an open flame. There are stones made however that work just fine on open flames. I would consult the recommendation of the stone manufacturer. All that aside, EV has a very solid point, why risk burning yourself when the stone will get plenty hot in an oven and you never need to touch a HOT stone, with or without gloves.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
Not to mention the damage that might be done to your kitchen floor (tiles, etc.) and anything else close by if the stone is dropped during transfer.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
If you are wanting to save some duckies on your power bill I say go for it!  8)
Loose those slippery tongs though dude..grab it with a mitt, and best be quick.  ;)
Don't go blasting the burner though...med flame for 'bout 5 min and you'll be golden.  :chef:

Disclaimer: I am in no way respon...... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »
I haven't done it with a stone, but have done it with steel.  It works, but I agree it isn't for the faint of heart.  A better method is to use a cast iron pan.  Preheat the pan hot on the stove top and get the broiler cranking in your oven.  Open the dough and put it in the pan.  Quickly top the pie on the stove top in the pan and then use a couple pot holders to pull it off the stove top and put it under the broiler.  I've cooked some decent 2 minutes pies this way in the past.
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
I haven't done it with a stone, but have done it with steel.  It works, but I agree it isn't for the faint of heart.  A better method is to use a cast iron pan.  Preheat the pan hot on the stove top and get the broiler cranking in your oven.  Open the dough and put it in the pan.  Quickly top the pie on the stove top in the pan and then use a couple pot holders to pull it off the stove top and put it under the broiler.  I've cooked some decent 2 minutes pies this way in the past.
Jeff's got it go'in on too.... ;)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
As much as I love Pizza, it is just NOT worth the risk to yourself or anyone else around the oven. If you do not have the right equipment, just use a pizza screen instead. I wish you well on your pizza making, but please don't take the high risks for just a pizza.

Best to you,

TomN

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
How does one determine/know if they have the type of stone that will blow up if you apply direct flame to it?  

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:28 AM »
I doubt it would blow up but a cheap stone would very possibly break in half at least. And maybe some "better" stones too. Of course, I'm no expert, just my gut feeling.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
instead of tongues and mitten use

Tongue and Groove Plier, Jaw Straight, Maximum Jaw Opening 2 1/4 Inches, Length 12 Inches
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CHANNELLOCK-Tongue-and-Groove-Plier-4CR41?Pid=search

Bert,

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
How does one determine/know if they have the type of stone that will blow up if you apply direct flame to it?  

Bob, best bet to contact supplier or manufacturer, if they are unknown, try it outdoors and wear a suit of armor.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »
Bert: I think it would be awkward to pick up a decent size stone with channel lock pliers (hard on the wrists), and probably not all that stable.

spazster: If you really want to try this, you might want to think about getting some Nomex/Kevlar oven gloves, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glove-Surface-Handler-Pack/dp/B001EPR98Q/?tag=pizzamaking-20

They are rated at 540 degrees.

To be honest, I wouldn't do this. Too much risk for me for not enough reward, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
instead of tongues and mitten use

Tongue and Groove Plier, Jaw Straight, Maximum Jaw Opening 2 1/4 Inches, Length 12 Inches
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CHANNELLOCK-Tongue-and-Groove-Plier-4CR41?Pid=search

I'd pay five bucks to see someone pick up a hot stone with tongues and mittens!  ;D
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
Just use a pizza peel and get on with it....  8)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Has anyone tried putting their pizza stone on the stove burners and then using tongs and oven mitts to put it in the oven to preheat and get a higher temperature before it thermostat kicks in?  I'm thinking about doing this, but I don't have an IR thermometer right now so I can't collect any data. Also, I'm a little worried about the safety risk so I don't want to jump into it just yet.

My gut feeling is that the difference would be negligible.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
If your goal is to get your stone hotter than your oven max temp, and you have a gas oven with the burner under the oven floor, place your stone directly on the floor of the oven.  This will get your stone hotter, faster, and exceed your oven max temp by as much as 200 degrees or more.  If you have an elec oven with an exposed element just above the oven floor, placing your stone as close as poss above the element will also get you higher temps.
Having said that though, having your stone hotter than the top heat (air temp) hitting your pie is actually the reverse of the ideal for some styles, and usually not a good thing.  But I have heard of folks doing something like this, then moving their stone under the broiler for the bake. 

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
Bert: I think it would be awkward to pick up a decent size stone with channel lock pliers (hard on the wrists), and probably not all that stable.

To be honest, I wouldn't do this. Too much risk for me for not enough reward, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Barry

... I used a  plier to move 14" x 5 /8 and swap stones of the grill. as shown in the picture below. I found this to be easier and safer than any other methods. I did this couple of times only... I agree it is not safe...
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
Are these safe enough.... ;D

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
Are these safe enough.... ;D

You have to special order that thing... I guess nothing is safe enough for this case...  ;)
Bert,