Author Topic: Store-bought pizza sauces  (Read 16515 times)

Offline nikesparq

Store-bought pizza sauces
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
Over the past couple of years we've been experimenting with store-bought fully-prepared pizza sauces that our kids use to make their own pizzas.  Currently Pomi pizza sauce is our favorite; it's simple with minimal seasoning.  The flavor blends well with the crust, cheese and other ingredients without being overpowered.  And unlike other Pomi products it has a spout and cover.

We've also purchased various canned sauces but most of them were not very good.  The only decent one we found is Don Pepino pizza sauce which I actually bought online.  There are a few jarred sauces that are we've bought more than once although I wouldn't go out of my way: Classico traditional pizza sauce, Prego pizza sauce and Trader Giotto's fat free pizza sauce. 

Our second choice would be Raos pizza sauce; it has a more complex flavor than Pomi and it's essentially similar to their famous marinara sauce with added ingredients.  If I had to pick a third, I'd go with Casa Visco Italian Style pizza sauce although I have to buy it online.  It usually has a fresh tomato taste but a few of the jars I've bought in the past have had a sour taste.

Cheers!

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Don Peppino pizza sauce is canned by the same company which cans my favorite canned crushed tomatoes, Sclafani. My advice would be to season a can of Sclafani crushed tomatoes the way you like and use that as your sauce.

Offline BuonaSeraCiaoCiao

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »
Don Pepino sauce also has somewhat of a following with Jews for some reason. I'm not sure why, because I know plenty of other commercial sauces are certified Kosher, but every Jewish grocery store I go to (I'm Jewish btw) seems to devote a lot of shelf space to it.
Pizza is a vegetable.

Offline communist

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
When short of home made pizza sauce, I like Don Pepino.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
CasaVisco is How I started
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
I found Rao's pizza sauce for $4.50 per bottle
I like the sauce and bought all 11 bottles from my local supermarket......JT

Offline Re4otiare

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:07:48 AM »
I generally just use whatever sauce I see. For awhile I used the Great Value brand sauce, but now I have this Mantia's sauce from my local SavALot. I really kinda like the Mantia's better since it seems to have a more in your face flavor than the GV brand.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:10:37 AM by Re4otiare »

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Re: Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
When short of home made pizza sauce, I like Don Pepino.

I have been using Don Pepino as well.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
Communist:

When you use Don Pepino, what do you add to it to 'doctor it up'? I felt like it could use something,  but I could not figure out what. Basil maybe.

Offline communist

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
I use it straight, but I agree, it is missing something

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
LOL - well if you figure out what it is,  be sure to post it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
LOL - well if you figure out what it is,  be sure to post it.

Soul.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Re: Re: Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
You recommend fresh or dried?

Fresh - straight from the heart. ;D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
LOL.

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Over the past couple of years we've been experimenting with store-bought fully-prepared pizza sauces that our kids use to make their own pizzas.  Currently Pomi pizza sauce is our favorite; it's simple with minimal seasoning.  The flavor blends well with the crust, cheese and other ingredients without being overpowered.  And unlike other Pomi products it has a spout and cover.

We've also purchased various canned sauces but most of them were not very good.  The only decent one we found is Don Pepino pizza sauce which I actually bought online.  There are a few jarred sauces that are we've bought more than once although I wouldn't go out of my way: Classico traditional pizza sauce, Prego pizza sauce and Trader Giotto's fat free pizza sauce.  

Our second choice would be Raos pizza sauce; it has a more complex flavor than Pomi and it's essentially similar to their famous marinara sauce with added ingredients.  If I had to pick a third, I'd go with Casa Visco Italian Style pizza sauce although I have to buy it online.  It usually has a fresh tomato taste but a few of the jars I've bought in the past have had a sour taste.

Cheers!

I recently purchased two small jars of Classico traditional pizza sauce (just recently available in the Youngstown, Ohio market). The first one I used straight from the bottle and I thought it overwhelming.

The second jar I mixed with an 8oz can of Redpack tomato sauce and added 1/2 TSP of basil - I thought the taste much better and I got approximately twice the sauce for a little more money (about $0.65) - I find the "stretched sauce" not so bad in a pinch - The Don Pepino is decent but a little acidic for me.

I'd try the Pomi pizza sauce but it appears not available in my general area.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
I just saw that Don Pepino also offers a pizza sauce with basil. Anyone try that one? I have only seen the regular one in my local grocery store. I may ask them to order some with the basil to try it.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
1 #10 can of don pepino

taste it, then:   sugar to taste (IMO, 1T is close).  it's rather salty to start with. add none or more of the following.  1t basil, oregano, 1/2clove garlic or 1t granulated garlic, 1/2t black pepper, 1/2t CRP or 1/6t cayenne pepper, 1T olive oil,  1/2t cilantro.

these are 99% of the time, my seasonings.   everything is less than i would use in case someone takes this as a preaching of faith, and ruins a gallon of sauce.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »

I recently purchased two small jars of Classico traditional pizza sauce (just recently available in the Youngstown, Ohio market). The first one I used straight from the bottle and I thought it overwhelming.

The second jar I mixed with an 8oz can of Redpack tomato sauce and added 1/2 TSP of basil - I thought the taste much better and I got approximately twice the sauce for a little more money (about $0.65) - I find the "stretched sauce" not so bad in a pinch - The Don Pepino is decent but a little acidic for me.

I'd try the Pomi pizza sauce but it appears not available in my general area.

I have been buying Classico traditional pizza sauce from
my local Shoprite.
Cost per jar is around $1.79
Not a bad sauce at allllll but still looking for the holy grail.
Joe and Pats on Staten Island NY is the Holy Grail butttt to bad they don't sell it in jars.....JT

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
It's around $2.19 in this area.

The holy grail is very elusive!