Author Topic: Store-bought pizza sauces  (Read 16521 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »
Check with your warehouse clubs or even online for Pizzaiolo in a #10 can. You do not have to do anything to this pizza sauce and it is always fantastic too. I can buy a #10 can of Pizzaiolo at Costco Business Center for $4.49 a can and sometimes even lower depending on the market price. So many Pizzerias use this sauce as well. Many use it straight out of the can and other pizzerias like to play with it some to make it their signature sauce. Either way, you won't be disappointed. So, give it a try.

TomN
PS
The website relfects a delivery price, but in the warehouse it costs less.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11739414&search=636543&topnav=bdoff&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=636543&Ntt=636543&No=0&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:40:00 PM by TomN »

Offline Piesonoven user NJ

Re: Re: Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »
Our family has been using Don Peppino for a long time. We doctor it with a tsp of sugar, tsp of garlic salt, tsp of basil and 1/2 tsp of oregano. When we have or buy fresh basil that is preferred. No cooking, just stir in.

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Re: Re: Store-bought pizza sauces
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Our family has been using Don Peppino for a long time. We doctor it with a tsp of sugar, tsp of garlic salt, tsp of basil and 1/2 tsp of oregano. When we have or buy fresh basil that is preferred. No cooking, just stir in.

15/16 oz can or the #10 can?

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:06:16 AM »
CasaVisco is How I started
John

John, how ironic, I drive right past the plant where it's made when I visit a friends place, it's in Schenectady, NY!

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »
HI:

I just tried Muir Glen Pizza Sauce. It was very good ---ripe tomato flavor, not too heavy on the spices. A little thick, but can always be watered down. My preferred style is Neapolitan, so this is not for the "purist" who would more likely hand crush plum tomatoes, and I am going to try a blend of 1/2 and 1/2 next time, but the Muir Glen was really liked by the family for its rich flavor.

Jim

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
I tasted Muir Glen and Don Pepinos side-by-side and I was hard pressed to tell them apart.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »
Check with your warehouse clubs or even online for Pizzaiolo in a #10 can. You do not have to do anything to this pizza sauce and it is always fantastic too. I can buy a #10 can of Pizzaiolo at Costco Business Center for $4.49 a can and sometimes even lower depending on the market price. So many Pizzerias use this sauce as well. Many use it straight out of the can and other pizzerias like to play with it some to make it their signature sauce. Either way, you won't be disappointed. So, give it a try.

TomN
PS
The website relfects a delivery price, but in the warehouse it costs less.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11739414&search=636543&topnav=bdoff&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=636543&Ntt=636543&No=0&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial
Tom,
I was just looking through the Costco warehouse catalog and they sure do have a lot of interesting pizza related items I'd like to try. Never been to a Costco...do you know; if a local store does not stock a warehouse item, will they deliver it to your store for pick up? I live 2 States away from a warehouse. Thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
Bought a jar of Mario Batali Neopolitan Pizza Sauce to try. After making my own with SM tomatoes, it just did not compare in flavor. The sauce is good, but not the red color I was expecting either. I hate to be critical, as I am not a certified chef like he is. However, i will not be buying it again any time soon. I will stick with SM tomatoes and add salt.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
I wonder whether they meant the spelling "Neapolitan" rather than "Neopolitan"?

Peter

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »

Peter

Ya, does seem strange. Online dictionaries however say they are one and the same.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »

My guess is that it means Mario has never seen the label.

I looked at Eataly, of which I believe he is a co-owner, and it says that by using it you become a Neapolitan (spelled the right way) pizza maker. Who knew it was so simple?  :-D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
Jeff and Craig,

When I used "Neopolitan" in a Google search, I was asked whether I meant "Neapolitan". That is why I wondered whether the producers of Mario's pizza sauce might have used the wrong, or less preferred, spelling.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Maybe there are certain royalties that have to be paid in order to use it or special certifications that are required and too costly? I am sure it was spelled that way on purpose and that he definitely saw the label first. After all, his photo is on the cover. I am sure that he wanted that to be right.

TomN
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:51:38 PM by TomN »

Offline nikesparq

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Interestingly, Batali's pizza sauce is the only one I know of that has anchovies.  I wonder why it's not mentioned on the front label though.  ???

http://mariobatalifoods.com/sauce_pizza.html