Author Topic: Dough acting strange.  (Read 172 times)

Offline sickpat

• I Love Pizza!
Dough acting strange.
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »
I've been using a dough recipe we developed a few months ago and it's been doing great until this week when it starting acting a little strange.

In the oven the dough has been raising itself off the deck more than usual. It's causing small pockets which don't bake as nice as the rest of the pizza. Almost under baked. We are running the ovens at the same temp.

The dough has seemingly been the same to the touch as far as mixing and shaping goes. The walk-in is the same temp and the pre-ferments have also been healthy and used on the typical schedule.

I can't figure out what the variable is. The dough guys on the line say it feels slightly wetter to the touch, but the hydration is the same as always.

The formula is as follows:

KA special 100%
Poolish 66.6% (16-18hr, .02% red label)
WW Levain 14.8% (100% hydration)
H20 46.2%
Sea Salt 3%
Red Label .4%

DDT: 75 Degrees, No bulk ferment, 24-36hr cold rise.

Any thoughts?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Dough acting strange.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »
When you say the dough is lifting off of the deck during baking, is it lifting up around the edges or more as large white colored pockets throughout the center of the baked pizza? Many time if you are developing bubbles under the dough skin during the early stages of baking the pressure lifts a portion of the dough up off of the deck and with the air gap between the deck surface and the dough it doesn't get properly baked in that specific location. Normally though with this condition there is also a bubble evident on the top of the pizza too. If these bubbles are not present then we need to look at something else and in that case I would guess that the problem might be coming from inconsistent incorporation of the fermented portion of the dough (poolish). Since the polish is heavily fermented it has a fairly high acid content and little or no sugars present. Combined, high acid and no sugar contribute to poor crust color development. Can you send a photograph of the bottom and top of your pizza so we can get a better idea?
Thanks,
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor