Author Topic: HELP!! My activation is exploding!!!  (Read 1235 times)

Offline MrPibbs

HELP!! My activation is exploding!!!
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
I just started activating my very first ever sourdough culture, namely the Italian Ischia from sourdo.com

21 hours ago, I put the packet of Ischia into a clean 1 qt Ball jar with 3/4 C warm water, 3/4 C KAAP flour shown in this link. I mixed well, and put it in this proofing box I bought from Amazon.  I made sure to include an accurate thermometer inside which did correlate with the 90F box control setting specified in the Sourdo.com instructions.

Their instructions say that in 24 hours there may be a few bubbles. Well, at 21 hours, it has nearly reached the top.  I'm not sure if it is supposed to be growing this fast in the first 24 hours.  Not sure if I should mix it all up first, as it appears to have some clear liquid on the bottom before removing some, reducing temp to 70F, and feeding 1 C flour & up to 3/4C water to maintain thick batter consistency every 12-24 hours.  I enclosed a photo I just took.  I made the mark where it started 21 hours ago.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: HELP!! My activation is exploding!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
It's working, now take it out of the proofing box and start changing out 1/2 the goop with a fresh flour/water mixture for the next 4-5 days.  Keep it around 70 degrees

Stir it with a clean fork first to remix and then change out 1/2 of the mixture with fresh water/flour.

You're on your way.

If it gets to the point that it smells like vomit... don't panic... it's just that leuconostoc bacteria from the flour has taken over before the lactobiciliic bacteria and yeast can be predominant.

To combat the vomit smell and leuconostic baceria overload (if it happens) add a tablespoon of unsweetened pineapple juice in place of 1 TBS of the water.  Do this a few times.  This will help...

http://sourdough.com/forum/brand-new-starter-smells-vomit

Some say to start with the pineapple juice, but I salvaged a stinky starter after 4 days with the pinapple juice trick and another 3-4 days and it all worked out well.

Keep going... you're doing it right.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
Qarl,  you are an angel.  This looked way, way beyond the sourdo.com activating instructions that says "At the end of 24 hours a few bubbles may appear as the first sign of growth and activity."

Thank you so much--especially for the tips about the smell and pineapple juice and link.

Offline modeck

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »
Hi Mr Pibbs,

I'm aware that this is an old post, but if you (or anyone else) can comment, I'd be very grateful.

I am having exactly the same issue (as per the photo above), using the same proofing box, but with the CAMALDOLI Italian sourdough culture from http://www.sourdo.com as opposed to the ISCHIA one.

How did yours work out in the end? Did discarding approx half, lowering the temperature to 21C/70F and feeding every 12 hours produce a good, usable culture?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline modeck

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Update on this...

Having washed the starter (twice) as per Ed Wood's instructions, I followed the twice-daily refreshment, 50:50 F/W regimen to no avail; there continued to be some brief, thin bubbling, but no rise.

Following the advice here https://food52.com/hotline/18365-why-isn-t-my-sourdough-starter-active-yet-after-3-weeks the starter eventually reached a useable state by refreshing once every 24 hours, with a slightly higher ratio of flour to water (initially 60:40, later 55:45). There were sure signs of improvement after 24 hours; after 5 or 6 days, the starter began doubling.

Temperature of proofing box was for the most part maintained at 23C.

When not in fridge, the starter is now refreshed every 12 hours, first at 55:45, second at 50:50; this to prevent it getting too thick.

First Margherita today using 20% starter; not a huge difference in taste (had previously used a 20% 'sponge'). From what I've read here, the CAMALDOLI culture is quite mild.

Hope someone else finds the link above as helpful as I did :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:56:44 AM by modeck »

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »
There is much to be experimented with now that you have it going.  Do not worry about "too thick". A stiffer starter can be fed less often so can be easier to maintain. It may also produce a more sour end product if used straight  away versus using a bit of it to build a levain over 2-3 feelings.

pizzapan