Author Topic: Trip to Melbourne planned, where to find good pizza?  (Read 816 times)

Offline dylandylan

Trip to Melbourne planned, where to find good pizza?
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:10:44 PM »
Hi all,

I'm planning a short work & play trip to Melbourne in a month or so.  I'll be aiming to sample the best pizza I can find.  I'm after neapolitanesque pizza. I've done the obligitory googling, and going on reviews and pictures have come up with the following places I'd like to try:

• LaSvolta
  • 400 Gradi
  • Scoozi
  • Firechief

Probably not-coincidentally, when I was coming up with this list I discovered that 3 of the 4 above are AVPN accredited, and the other is applying to be.

The following are the "also rans" that I don't think I'll bother with - mostly because I've managed to find pictures of pizza from these places that gave me some doubt.
  • Plus 39 Pizzeria
  • Woodfire Cafe Pizzeria
  • Marcadante
  • Ladro
  • D.O.C
  • Pizza Farri
  • Fratellino

Any locals able to give me a steer?  What have I missed?  Am I way off the mark?

Many thanks,
Dylan

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Trip to Melbourne planned, where to find good pizza?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
I know 400 gradi is very good, the owner (Johnny) is a great researcher of neapolitan pizza, they changed the oven to a SF, so the pizzas must be even better.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:52 AM »
thanks, that's an encouraging sign for sure.  Looking forward to getting over there.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:04:33 AM »
Any advances on my list?    I'm waiting to board now... really looking forward to pizza that blows me away, hope I find some starting tomorrow.

Offline Pizzaboyo

An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
that app looks like a sound investment!   we've arrived in Melbourne and friends have turned us onto a few good places that I hadn't found on Google.  Haven't figured out if I'll be "that guy" taking photos of every pizza I eat... might happen!

pizzapan