Author Topic: Unique oven config, need dough advice  (Read 462 times)

Offline VarunS

Unique oven config, need dough advice
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
Dear Tom

Thanks a ton to you and many of the members here for sharing such great information. Really appreciate it.

Some of the information below maybe relevant for the think tank boards but eventually I need advice for a dough formulation hence posting here:

Since a few months I have started a pizza delivery service. Currently we are doing only thin crust pizzas of one size.

This is the current formulation that I use along with the process

AP Flour 100%
IDY 0.9%
Bread improver 0.2%
Water 50%
Sunflower oil  3.6%
Sugar 1%
Salt 1.8%

Mixed in a dough mixer , balled and refrigerated for 12 hours to a day. Let it come to room temperature then roll by hand, cut with a stencil and parbake for 30 seconds at 390F. Cool and then dust of excess flour and refrigerate until an order comes.

A brief summary of how my oven works. It has only a 3" height as one chamber is converted to two with an extra stone and heating element.  There is of course a temperature setting along with power buttons that regulate the intensity of heat from the different elements.  The top power button actually control both the top and middle heating element while the bottom one controls only the bottom.  Due to this I have to keep the top and bottom power settings the same. If I don't there is a difference in temperates and pizzas won't cook evenly.

I am currently using it at 572F with power settings 4 and 4. The dough formulation that i use has to be cooked on a screen because of the proximity of the stone to the respective heating element above it.

The company has a model without the extra stone but we require this particular one due to space and budget constraints.  The single stone model has a much more even heat distribution and ability to cook the base directly on oven stone. Another interesting thing I have to do is circulate the screen every minute for even cooking (there are probably different temperature zones and it is not consistent hence we do this else pizza browns more on one side)
We remove the from the screen and cook for 15 seconds to get it browned and crisp. The pizza is then cooled on a word rack, boxed and delivered.

The customer response has been very good and I am not in a position where I can or should be messing with this recipe. I forgot to mention that each pie before being par baked weighs 160gms. This is for a 11inch pie. As you can imagine this is quite thin. However that being said I want to make a thicker pizza perhaps a 300gm one.

The characteristics I am looking for are soft tender bumaybe like a pan pizza. Is something like this possible in my current temperature and oven configuration ? I am willing to try multiple recipes. Am open to using pans screens etc. If par baking this sort of crust is an option i would like to try that method too. We use our kitchen for other purposes and at times counter space can become an issue.

I have tried some formulations with lower sugar, oil and higher hydration playing around with these parameters mainly and yet I have not been able to cook it directly on the stone without it burning from the bottom. Burning happens in less than two minutes.

Would love some suggestions or any hacks that I may be able to do to get what I am after without altering oven settings.

Sorry for the extremely long post but hopefully this can help someone else too :)

Cheers
Varun

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Unique oven config, need dough advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
Varun;
I can't say for sure that you will succeed with your oven, but it is worth a try. Here is how I would start:
Pan: Deep-dish (1.5 to 2-inches deep having a dark color (anodized or seasoned to a dark color)
Dough: 100% flour; Salt: 1.75%; Shortening/Butter: 4%; IDY: 1%; Sugar: 2%; Water: 55%
Procedure: Add water (65F) to the mixing bowl, add flour and the remainder of ingredients, mix at low speed for 3-minutes, then mix at medium speed for 8-minutes, or do all of the mixing at low speed for 15-minutes. Targeted finished dough temperature is 80 to 85F. Immediately after mixing, scale the dough into 400-gram weight pieces and form into balls, wipe dough balls with vegetable oil after placing into plastic dough boxes. Cross stack in the cooler for 18 to 36-hours. Remove dough from cooler and allow to temper AT room temperature for 2.5-hours, then either open the dough balls with a pin, and place into a lightly oiled baking pan. Cover and set aside to proof/rise for 45 to 70-minutes, take to the oven for baking. I think you will be able to bake right on the deck. Baking time will be about 4-minutes. NOTE: If you see a spot on the par-baked crust that appears to be an oil spot, it isn't. What you are looking at is an area of collapse. To correct the problem you will need to bake the crust a little longer, possibly at a lower temperature. Remove the baked crust from the pan immediately as you remove it from the oven and place onto a wire grid or shelf to cool. Let me know if you have any questions or problems.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor