Author Topic: Limoni e sole  (Read 1592 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Limoni e sole
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »
Lemons and sunshine.

Meyer lemons, smoked fior di latte, and sunflower shoots that were dressed with oil, salt, and crushed anchovy.

John

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Limoni e sole
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
That is a weird combination of ingredients...I love it!  I bet it tasted even better than it looks, if that is possible.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
John your pizzas are amazing!

Offline csafranek

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »
John I would love to see some pictures of your oven and a quick video of how you prepare and cook your pizzas. PLEASE? :-)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:29:14 PM »
beautiful John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »
far out John!  i've never heard of sunflower shoots.  looks amazing.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
Perfect balance and beautiful as always.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
All the food groups seem to be well represented....... And looking very tasty. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
I absolutely LOVE sunflower sprouts - never thought to top a pizza with them.  I will now!  That is gorgeous.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
John I would love to see some pictures of your oven and a quick video of how you prepare and cook your pizzas. PLEASE? :-)

Thank you all.

If I can get the right person to film me, I would not be adverse to putting something together. But you can search YouTube and find a wealth of info on preparing and cooking NP pizza. The dough used for this pizza is really easy to do. The only difference from the instructions below is that I used 10% whole wheat flour.

24 hour workflow at 67 degrees room temp.

100% Caputo pizzeria
62% water
2.6% salt
5% of water natural starter (or .02% IDY)

Dissolve yeast in water. Add in flour then sprinkle salt on top. Mix with hands until combined and incorporated. Rest 20 minutes, then stretch and fold a few times. Repeat rest, then stretch/fold. Repeat again. The mass should be smooth by now and about 2 hours may have passed. Ball (not too tightly) and let rise until you are ready to bake - preferably around the 24 hour mark.

John

enter8

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
John that is just stunning. True edible art! I've been creeping away from NY towards Neapolitan style dough recently but I have a long way to go before achieving anything approaching the beauties you are baking (Granted a WFO would help :D).

I'm sure you've answered this before but if you'll indulge a new fan, could you tell me if you prefer using starter or IDY?

Mal

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
I'm sure you've answered this before but if you'll indulge a new fan, could you tell me if you prefer using starter or IDY?

Thank you Mal. I use starter most of the time, and prefer it to IDY. My favorite form of yeast is fresh yeast, but it is very difficult to find in markets where I live. They only problem is that if your starter is not at it's absolute optimum when you use it, the end result can have a heaviness that IDY or CY do not have.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
 john, that pie looks delicious. how do you handle your baking session as to what you are cooking during each one. is there a menu that you prepare ingredients for?. do you sample a piece of each pie? sorry just nosy :chef:.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
Thank you Larry - I plan out each pie and it's ingredients before hand. I come up with combinations based on what I see at the store. And yes, I taste each one. I make sure each pie that comes out everyone sees, I then cut it with a wheel, and then immediately take the "chefs slice". I then go back after everyone is done and have a slice or two cold to test for texture.

John

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Lemons and sunshine.

Meyer lemons, smoked fior di latte, and sunflower shoots that were dressed with oil, salt, and crushed anchovy.

John

Dear John, your novel and creative choice of toppings is artistically carried out in creating your pizza. Great imagination and beautiful work of art! Did you grow the sunflower shoots yourself?
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
Dear John, your novel and creative choice of toppings is artistically carried out in creating your pizza. Great imagination and beautiful work of art! Did you grow the sunflower shoots yourself?

Thank you Omid. The shoots were grown locally by a farm in Gloucester, MA, close to where I live. They produce these shoots for sale this time of year.

John

pizzapan