Author Topic: What type of cheese?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline ImageMan

• I Love Pizza!
What type of cheese?
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »
I notice on DKMs recipe on the front page, the one I plan on using, he uses sliced Mozarella. Can I use the stuff that comes in a ball, and slice it and layer the pan with that? The stuff that has a bit of water to it. Or do I want dry sliced mozarella? What cheese do you guys use?

Offline chiguy

Re: What type of cheese?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »
 Hi Imageman,
 The key to a deep dish is to cover the entire bottom of the panned dough with layered cheese. The cheese is placed there to create a sauce barrier and also the cheese melts into the crust and gives it a great soft texture. If you use Fresh mozzerella to cover the entire bottom of the panned dough, then it should be fine. I would reccomend to let the pizza sit for at least a few minutes to give the fresh mozz time to cool and settle. I personally use a less watery cheese for deep dish like sliced provalone or part-skim mozzarella.          Chiguy   

Offline buzz

Re: What type of cheese?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:07:01 AM »
It doesn't matter if your mozzarella is sliced or shredded (Giordano's, for example, used shredded). The best are Stella (used by Giordano's, although a commercial grade) and Sorrento, both of which have great flavor and mouth feel. I don't personallly like fresh mozzarella because I find it too bland, but that's an indivdual decision. You can certainly use any cheese you'd like!