Author Topic: Go to NP dough recipe  (Read 3220 times)

Offline csafranek

Go to NP dough recipe
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
So what is everyone's go to NP pizza dough recipe for WFO NP pizzas?

Offline TXCraig1

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline csafranek

Re: Go to NP dough recipe
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:49:21 AM »
Let me clarify dough without the use of natural starters. I am looking for dough with IDY and such. I'm just getting ready to start NP pizzas and attempting to make my own sour dough culture is a little bit down the road for me. I intend to get there just not yet. Thank you

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:23 AM »
go with the AVPN foolproof formula.

1L Water
1.650 to 1800 Kg Flour (depends in how strong the flour is)
50 to 55g Salt
3g of CY or 1g of IDY

2h bulk, 6h balled all Room temp.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Dieter01

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
I finished building my WFO last week and plan to bake my first pie this Monday. I plan to use CF, not a sourdough variety (this time around anyway...).

Got a good starting point ?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
I finished building my WFO last week and plan to bake my first pie this Monday. I plan to use CF, not a sourdough variety (this time around anyway...).

Got a good starting point ?

Do you mean CY?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21730.0.html
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »

1L Water
50 to 55g Salt
3g of CY or 1g of IDY

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »

1L Water
50 to 55g Salt
3g of CY or 1g of IDY

Out of curiosity, yesterday I implemented Andre's AVPN dough recipe. Unfortunately, my Caputo "00" Pizzeria flour had gone bad, so I used Caputo "00" Extra flour. The bake results came out better than I expected. They were not anything spectacular, but not bad for an 8-hour (2+6) dough. This is definitely not my style. Good day!

Omid
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
Continued . . .

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
Out of curiosity, yesterday I implemented Andre's AVPN dough recipe. Unfortunately, my Caputo "00" Pizzeria flour had gone bad, so I used Caputo "00" Extra flour. The bake results came out better than I expected. They were not anything spectacular, but not bad for an 8-hour (2+6) dough. This is definitely not my style. Good day!

Omid

Hi Omid, the pizzas look very good, thats what most regular pizzerias in Naples serve, the more traditional pizzerias (the ones we always talk about here in the forum) have flour blends and longer maturation periods.

Offline Paul_N

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »
Hi Omid, the pizzas look very good, thats what most regular pizzerias in Naples serve, the more traditional pizzerias (the ones we always talk about here in the forum) have flour blends and longer maturation periods.

Is there a page with more detail on the AVPN recipe? I'm looking for a recipe to use w/caputo OO & IDY and this one fits the bill.  I'm interested to know about rise times, overnight rising in a fridge, etc.   If the there aren't other additional details other than to experiment and find what is right for me, I'd love any advice that people have on what has worked well for them.   I still learning to use my WFO and am looking for something that will serve as a good foundation for later experiments.

Thanks,
 -Paul

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Is there a page with more detail on the AVPN recipe? I'm looking for a recipe to use w/caputo OO & IDY and this one fits the bill.  I'm interested to know about rise times, overnight rising in a fridge, etc.   If the there aren't other additional details other than to experiment and find what is right for me, I'd love any advice that people have on what has worked well for them.   I still learning to use my WFO and am looking for something that will serve as a good foundation for later experiments.

Thanks,
 -Paul

Dear Paul, unfortunately I do not know if there is a thread, in this forum, that contains details on the AVPN dough methodology. You may want to ask Pete-zza (Mr. Peter), the moderator. I do not know how serious you are or how deeply you would like to delve into the subject matter, but to give you advice on what has worked well for me or other members (which may not work so well for you, depending on your present skills and situation/circumstances) can be a wide-ranging and exhaustive task since making Neapolitan pizza is an extensive discipline that can not be easily encapsulated in a set of easy-to-follow instructions. If you ask me for advice, I would not know where to begin, inasmuch as I know nothing of your background, situation, skills, and the tools you have at your disposal. You may like to create your own thread and start asking specific questions. Showcase your pizzas and ask knowledgeable members to critique your efforts. I wish you the best!

Omid

Offline sub

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
Beautifull looking pies as always Omid, it's fantastic the results you've got whatever the recipe is !

Nice litle mako on the cornicione I was thinking you can only have those with more hours of fermentation.

Was the pizza easy on the stomach ?

I've read on pizza.it that Ciro Salvo uses the Caputo giallo (yellow)  for 6 to 10 hours rise.

Di Mateo receipe in pdf here
with an useful yeast table at the end

La confraternita della Pizza Part.I - Spiegazione Impasto Napoletano STG - Salvatore di Matteo

La confraternita della Pizza Part.II - Impasto Napoletano STG - Salvatore di Matteo

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:37:13 PM by sub »

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 07:47:58 PM »
Is there a page with more detail on the AVPN recipe?

I believe the AVPN regulations are what you're looking for:

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 06:45:40 AM »
Beautifull looking pies as always Omid, it's fantastic the results you've got whatever the recipe is !

Nice litle mako on the cornicione I was thinking you can only have those with more hours of fermentation.

Was the pizza easy on the stomach ?

Dear Sub, thank you for the compliment! Based on Andre's AVPN dough recipe, below is the recipe that I actually carried out:

Caputo "00" Extra Flour: 1650 grams
Water: 1000 grams
Salt: 43 grams
Fresh Yeast: 3 grams

Per Caputo's website, the 00 Extra flour is "recommended for mixtures with short rise". Caputo 00 Extra is a weaker flour (W 210-230) than Caputo 00 Pizzeria (W 280-320). The former contains 11% protein while the latter contains 12.5% protein. Moreover, the former has somewhat higher α-amylase enzyme activity (Falling Number 300-360) than the latter (Falling Number 340-360). At last, Caputo 00 Extra has a lower extraction rate than Caputo 00 Pizzeria. The way the dough was developed during mechanized kneading, the way I managed the oven, and the way I baked the pizzas are also factors to be considered. As I am sure you know, minute details can bear significant results.

The pizzas in the pictures above may look aestetically pleasing, but their flavors and textures, as far as I am concerned, were definitely not as pleasing. Good day!

Omid

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
I agree with Omid's opinion, as i posted the AVPN basic recipe, its not what i use, i agree with testing and tweaking until you find your sweet spot formula.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »
The AVPN is an excellent place to start.   It is a simple dough with a simple workflow, and with practice and experimentation it can be developed to suit your personal tastes and needs.  I can tell you as someone who made a simple dough for 30 years, the only thing that really improved it was extending the fermentation times. That makes all the difference in the world.

That said, I am too lazy to maintain an SD culture, which is (IMO) crucial to the best Neapolitan dough.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
Omid, your pizzas are beautiful as always. And your skill as a photographer is quite impressive too. I wonder what camera/lens you are using. 

Also, how could you tell that your flour had gone bad? Did you have bugs in it?

Best regards,

TinRoof

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
Omid, your pizzas are beautiful as always. And your skill as a photographer is quite impressive too. I wonder what camera/lens you are using. 

Also, how could you tell that your flour had gone bad? Did you have bugs in it?

Best regards,

TinRoof

Thank you! I use an ordinary camera by Canon (PowerShot S95). It is not a professional camera, but adequate for my purposes. Here's more information on my setup:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.msg158239.html#msg158239

Since then, I have learned how to use the camera on manual mode, which gives me greater control.

With respect to my Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, it had gone bad because the dough mass remained relatively patchy and fragmentary throughout the kneading process. The dough stubbornly refused to form a proper gluten network throughout the mechanized kneading process. In other words, my point of pasta was out of reach or beyond the capacity of the dough to deliver. By the end of kneading and 20-minute rest period, the dough mass was still composed of patchy dough flesh and fragmentary dough skin. It was a chaos, no apropos uniformity of flesh and skin. Good day!

Omid

Offline communist

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »
e? I'm looking for a recipe to use w/caputo OO & IDY
Thanks,
 -Paul
  I am interested in the same recipe.  I am going to try Neapolitan at home in the Blackstone oven.  I have my Caputo 00 and my IDY.  I am complete rookie when it comes to Neapolitan.  Anyone willing to give a Neapolitan for Dummies detailed basic recipe for a same day Neapolitan dough?  Thanks  Mark

pizzapan