Author Topic: Flour questions...  (Read 1326 times)

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
Flour questions...
« on: December 26, 2005, 10:33:34 PM »
If I used 00 in place of all purpose for the "JPY" pizza dough, what do you think would happen? We just got a bunch of different flour from Champlain Valley Milling back east and a new mixer from ABS (American baking systems) I think you can put 34 pounds of flour in this one. We are planning to try a lot of bread and pizza recipes over the next couple of months. I like getting input from different pizza people that know their stuff.

7 cups all purpose flour
1 cup semolina
1/4 cup olive oil
1 full teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast (IDY)

Thank you,
-JP-

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Flour questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:43:37 PM »
JP,

I can't answer your question since I don't use semolina, sugar, or olive oil in my dough. What kind of crust are you trying to make with that recipe? From what I understand, Caputo 00 is designed for Neapolitan-style pies - a highly hydrated crust baked quickly at high temps. If CVM is providing you with a 00 clone, you may want to try a Neapolitan formula just to compare. Your ovens make a dynamite Neapolitan pie.

Bill/SFNM

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 02:46:26 AM »
For this one it's just a 8 oz/12 inch pie with a little border around it. Not a Neapolitan pie for this one. I was trying to see if anyone would know what would be different about the dough if I changed the flour to 00. I'm not sure if CVM has a 00 dough or not. I did hear that they mill some of the King Arthur flour.
-JP-

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »
I don't know what you will get from making the substitution, but you may want to check the protein content of the flour you are thinking of using since a flour that is similar to the 00 flour may not be able to handle all the water in your recipe. If that's the case, you will perhaps want to hold back some of the water and add it back in gradually.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
 Hello JPY,
 I think before you start changing you're father's recipe you should convert it to bakers percentages.If you do not have a scale, get one!! I believe pete-zza already calculated the water at about 58%. I have seen 00 recipes using this hydration so i do not think it will be a problem. You may make the substitution for 00 flour and find it handles you're hydration just fine. When and if you decide to start changing hydration, weighing ingrediants and using Bakers % comes in very handy. Once you have the bakers % you can make any given amount of dough you need very easily.If you need help doing this just let us know. It's almost necessary in my opinion to achieve a consistent finished dough.     
                                                                                                              Goodluck,  Chiguy

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 02:02:17 PM »
I guess it just takes time.  Once we get all the products here then we can make a bunch of doughs and try them out.  I'm trying to get my father to try other pizza doughs besides his own, he is very good with pastries and bread, I guess it comes from the French/Armenian background.  There's also a place in Studio City, CA (Los Angeles), Albano's Brooklyn Pizzaria, which was voted for best pizza in LA.  I was going to go there and see what info or samples I can get from him. For the Neapolitan pizza there's that Antica Pizzeria in Marina Del Rey, CA (which is also in Los Angeles) I remember Giuseppe came by our place with his Verace Pizza Napoletana certificate to take some pictures in front of our forno.  He did not have his restaurant at the time. I think he does classes now.
-JP-

pizzapan