Author Topic: Pizza stone manufacturers  (Read 1080 times)

Offline tailbiter

Pizza stone manufacturers
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm looking into developing a pizza making accessory (similar to a pizza stone) but am in need of finding a manufacturer that has experience with baking stones.  Any ideas who might be equipped to do something like this.  I'd be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

Thanks

Eric

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pizza stone manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
If you gave a few more details, we might be able to tell you if it's been done before. I'm sure you'll also get lots of thoughts and suggestions.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline tailbiter

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »
If you gave a few more details, we might be able to tell you if it's been done before. I'm sure you'll also get lots of thoughts and suggestions.

Hi Craig, I just completed a provisional patent on the design. It's basicly a 2 piece structure that would sit on a ceramic grill such as a big green egg. I envision this as a ceramic structure. The first piece would be a ceramic stone that would sit on the ceramic grill base with a slot cut for hot air release.  The second would be a dome piece that would sit on top of the ceramic base that would perform as the oven to circulate the convection heat from the coals under the floor.  Ceramic grills do an OK job at cooking pizza, but there is no convection airflow in the design. This idea is ment to gap the bridge between a pompeii convection design and a ceramic grill. 

We've done a lot of investigation and design on this project, but I still need to find a manufacture that has experience with ceramics. I'm looking for someone who has already solved the whole "ceramics as a cooking" puzzel so I don't have to go through the costly process of certifying the materials.

Many thanks in advance.

Eric

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
A couple quick thoughts: I think you need a double floor - two ceramic layers with an air gap. I think you will brun the bottom of the pie to a crisp if a ceramic deck is directly over the fire/coals assuming the fire is hot enough that the device gets you to a meaningfully fast bake time.

I'm worried that an uninsulated ceramic dome will not maintain enough top heat. You will need a meaningful differential between the deck and the dome with the dome being the hotter.

Sorry I can't help with a manufacturing source.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
Wouldn't the dome for the big green egg act as the  convection circulator?

You can use something like this for the base...

http://redskygrilling.com/

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
Eric

Member GSpots (George) has experience with ceramic manufacture.  I have two of his baking stones.  Although he is a busy guy, he might be able to help you out once you have the oven configuration worked out.  As noted by Craig your challenge is to control top and bottom heat for an even bake.

Bob

Offline tailbiter

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »
A couple quick thoughts: I think you need a double floor - two ceramic layers with an air gap. I think you will brun the bottom of the pie to a crisp if a ceramic deck is directly over the fire/coals assuming the fire is hot enough that the device gets you to a meaningfully fast bake time.

I'm worried that an uninsulated ceramic dome will not maintain enough top heat. You will need a meaningful differential between the deck and the dome with the dome being the hotter.

Yes, Iíve considered both of your point to some extent.  I found pizza by way of my Big Green Egg (BGE), a ceramic grill.  What you described is exactly what the ceramic community recommends when cooking pizza in an grill like this.  With this setup you would use a ďheat shieldĒ, or plate setter as the BGEggers call it.  This deflect the initial heat from the coals so that point is covered.  My apparatus sets above all that.

As far as the dome retaining sufficient heat, all I can say is that is should retain as much as the BGE dome retains.  This issue actually strikes to the core of why I wanted to take on this project.  Contrary to the common conception that ceramic grills contain convection waves within the cooker I now suspect that there is actually very little convection occurring within these cookers. 

Donít get me wrong, Iím a huge fan of the product, but as a smoker.  It doesnít have the convection airflow needed to heat the top of a pie.  We put together a virtual model in SolidWorks (a drafting and design software package) that has an airflow simulator feature to simulate airflow within a given structure. We found that most of the hot air simply flows along the walls and straight out of the chimney at the top.   

This would explain why ceramic grillers are told to put the  pizza stone as high up in the dome as possible.  It has to be high because the only heat the top of the pie gets is the radiant heat from the dome walls.. no convection heat topples back down as heat is rising from all directions and the exit is straight up the top.

Even though this dome may not get anywhere near the same insulative qualities as a brick oven, it should get significantly better use of convection heat in the ceramic grill. 

Iíve included a couple of links to pics Iíve done on the Egg.  Iím hoping that with this new setup Iíll actually be able to accomplish what you guys seem to refer to as leopard spots. ;0)

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/v/711520_10200264419193827_767044004_n.jpg?oh=3bcf60de0d6206077c26150e963694f9&oe=50F6BB0F&__gda__=1358396925_add490cca5f287850529a5eabd762373
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/v/565690_10200264419353831_918209847_n.jpg?oh=a1e72f4c9f6f8d877d32e762ea14ec5c&oe=50F69913&__gda__=1358397689_0b9f2ed5d83bfcebfdff3b5abcd0f73c

BTW Craig.. Iíve been trolling this forum for some time and I have to say, Iím a big fan of yours.. One day I really want to build a WFO in my backyard. 

Eric

Offline tailbiter

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
Eric

Member GSpots (George) has experience with ceramic manufacture.  I have two of his baking stones.  Although he is a busy guy, he might be able to help you out once you have the oven configuration worked out.  As noted by Craig your challenge is to control top and bottom heat for an even bake.

Bob

Thanks Bob.. I'll see if I can look him up.  I really appreciate the pointer.