Author Topic: I Need a Better Container to Proof My Dough  (Read 5137 times)

Offline ddolinoy

Re: I Need a Better Container to Proof My Dough
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
Mitch,
That looks great except the height of the container looks like it is too tall for my use.
I'm limited in the amount of space I have in my refrigerator and I often have the need to stack three containers.
I've discovered one drawback with my new aluminum dough pans.
Before placing the dough ball in the pan, I rub some olive oil on the bottom with a paper towel.
When I look at the paper towel, it's black!
If I use a fresh peice of paper towel and more olive oil, the towel isn't nearly as black as at first.
I'm wondering why this is happening.
I'm still having to help the dough ball out of the pan with a scraper which is something I'm trying to avoid.
The aluminum pans have a rough surface compared to plastic containers, so I'm thinking that is why my dough balls don't fall out on thier own.
Can you provide a link to where I can purchase your containers?
Thanks.
Dave

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
These containers are around 4" tall.  I have a set of 3 metal dough containers with a lid.  I think the total height is a bit under 8 inches.  So, I see the issue, assuming your space is less than 12 inches.

Here is another idea:  Pick up a roll of Reynolds non stick aluminum foil.

http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Wrap-Release-Non-stick-Aluminum/dp/B005EF1YRY/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It is 35 square feet and 12 inches wide.  Assuming your containers are 6 inches or less, then you can cover the bottoms of 70 containers for about 10 bucks - 15 cents each.  I have done this a few times when I knew I had a sticky dough and I was worried about the dough sticking to the metal containers.  Just cut out a circle for the bottom and you are done.  When you flip the container over, the dough obviously drops out.  Then, the foil peels off - no muss, fuss, hassle, etc.

It is a bit more effort to cut out the circle but not a big deal.  Better than staring at the dough hook going round and round while the dough mixes.

As an alternative: sometimes, if I have a stubborn dough, I just dust my hand with flour and the top of the dough.  If I work around the edges, nudging the dough off the bottom a little bit all around, it then drops out fine. 

Not sure what the cause of the black is on the pan, but has happened to me too.  I think it is about new aluminum pans that need a thorough cleaning to get off whatever residual stuff is on it when it was new.

good luck,
Mitch

Offline ddolinoy

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Mitch,
I may try your aluminum foil idea if my sticking problem doesn't get any better.
Currently, when the dough sticks, I do pretty much the same thing you do.
I dust everything with flour and use a plastic scraper around the edges until the ball is loosened up enough for gravity to do the rest.
As for the black residue, I scrubbed all of my pans with soap and water as soon as I got them.  I do the same after every use as well.  Yet, I still get the black residue every time I oil them.  I'm guessing that there is some kind of chemical reaction happening as they sit on the shelf for four days.  I should try oiling one of my aluminum cooking pots the same way and see if I get the black residue from them.
Thanks.
Dave

Offline scott123

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
These are what I use. Same as the aluminum pans, but plastic, so they aren't reactive.

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=12232&categoryid=149

They do require a very light oiling to release the dough, although I'm at 62% hydration.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 06:26:55 PM »
why not have me get you a few Artisan dough trays they hold 6 doughballs and fit in fridge make you feel like a real pizza pro too! 1/2 the size of the ones used in pizzerias arounfd the country. they are slick!! come in Kit with 2 trays 1 lid and slick spatula to remove the dough balls. send me a pm if you are interested I have em in stock!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
Mitch,
I may try your aluminum foil idea if my sticking problem doesn't get any better.
Currently, when the dough sticks, I do pretty much the same thing you do.
I dust everything with flour and use a plastic scraper around the edges until the ball is loosened up enough for gravity to do the rest.
As for the black residue, I scrubbed all of my pans with soap and water as soon as I got them.  I do the same after every use as well.  Yet, I still get the black residue every time I oil them.  I'm guessing that there is some kind of chemical reaction happening as they sit on the shelf for four days.  I should try oiling one of my aluminum cooking pots the same way and see if I get the black residue from them.
Thanks.
Dave

You got me curious enough to try to understand this a bit more.  Googling "gray residue on cookware" and similar wording gave me a half dozen hits that all pointed in the same direction.  The dough pans are non-anodized and this is the aluminum oxidizing.  Most say it is a big no-no to put in the dishwasher.  All say to wash/scrub well.  Some say to use a vinegar solution - others bar keepers friend.

Good luck, I don't use mine much but when I do use them, I wipe them well.  Scott or John's ideas seem pretty darn reasonable if the oxidation is bothersome to you.

I will be sticking with my plastic containers since I only make one or two pizzas 90% of the time.  For the parties, no container in the house is safe from me.

- Mitch

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 12:01:14 AM »
FWIW,

That black residue you get off of Aluminum is known as smut. Aluminum is a highly reactive metal and as detergents, cleaners, etc. removes (etches) some of the (highly reactive) Aluminum surface, it leaves behind some of the other elements used in the production of Aluminum, such as Copper, Silicone, etc. Strong alkali's always produce smut where acid's don't always depending on it's formula and certain acids are used as smut removers as they remove the residuals.

Dishwasher detergents tend to be fairly alkali and vinegar is a dilute Acetic acid solution.
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline ddolinoy

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I'll try treating my aluminum dough trays like my cast iron skillet; no soap.
I'll also give it a thin coat of olive oil AFTER I wash it with water and see if that helps stop the oxidation reaction.
Seasoning it this way may also help the dough ball stick less to the pan.
Thanks.
Dave