Author Topic: I Need a Better Container to Proof My Dough  (Read 7597 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: I Need a Better Container to Proof My Dough
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
Mitch,
I may try your aluminum foil idea if my sticking problem doesn't get any better.
Currently, when the dough sticks, I do pretty much the same thing you do.
I dust everything with flour and use a plastic scraper around the edges until the ball is loosened up enough for gravity to do the rest.
As for the black residue, I scrubbed all of my pans with soap and water as soon as I got them.  I do the same after every use as well.  Yet, I still get the black residue every time I oil them.  I'm guessing that there is some kind of chemical reaction happening as they sit on the shelf for four days.  I should try oiling one of my aluminum cooking pots the same way and see if I get the black residue from them.
Thanks.
Dave

You got me curious enough to try to understand this a bit more.  Googling "gray residue on cookware" and similar wording gave me a half dozen hits that all pointed in the same direction.  The dough pans are non-anodized and this is the aluminum oxidizing.  Most say it is a big no-no to put in the dishwasher.  All say to wash/scrub well.  Some say to use a vinegar solution - others bar keepers friend.

Good luck, I don't use mine much but when I do use them, I wipe them well.  Scott or John's ideas seem pretty darn reasonable if the oxidation is bothersome to you.

I will be sticking with my plastic containers since I only make one or two pizzas 90% of the time.  For the parties, no container in the house is safe from me.

- Mitch
Mitch

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 12:01:14 AM »
FWIW,

That black residue you get off of Aluminum is known as smut. Aluminum is a highly reactive metal and as detergents, cleaners, etc. removes (etches) some of the (highly reactive) Aluminum surface, it leaves behind some of the other elements used in the production of Aluminum, such as Copper, Silicone, etc. Strong alkali's always produce smut where acid's don't always depending on it's formula and certain acids are used as smut removers as they remove the residuals.

Dishwasher detergents tend to be fairly alkali and vinegar is a dilute Acetic acid solution.
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline ddolinoy

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I'll try treating my aluminum dough trays like my cast iron skillet; no soap.
I'll also give it a thin coat of olive oil AFTER I wash it with water and see if that helps stop the oxidation reaction.
Seasoning it this way may also help the dough ball stick less to the pan.
Thanks.
Dave