Author Topic: When to add oil in dough making?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline kneader65

When to add oil in dough making?
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
I am keen to the difference between adding oil in following cases:

1.Adding oil together with all wet ingredients to the dry flour

2.Adding oil during kneading after the wet ingredients have been added to the flour and time for autolyis allowed

What will be the effect on dough quality and the final product?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: When to add oil in dough making?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:47 AM »
I am keen to the difference between adding oil in following cases:

1.Adding oil together with all wet ingredients to the dry flour

2.Adding oil during kneading after the wet ingredients have been added to the flour and time for autolyis allowed

What will be the effect on dough quality and the final product?

I am not sure of the differences and some of my methods I trust to the experience of others.
In my mixer, a Compact Bosch, I find that even at 61% hydration a few drops of liquid after mixing/kneading helps pick up all the flour. I choose to add my oil at this point, based on the recommendations of those who have gone before.
Try it both ways and decide what works best for you.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
kneader65,

What style of pizza are you making?

I have added oil right to the water and also added oil after the other ingredients are mixed.  I usually donít add the oil to the water for a NY style dough unless there is a high amount of oil.

If making a cracker style of some other styles the oil might be added to the water first.   

Usually an autolyse whether it is a shorter or longer times is usually used at the beginning of the kneading, after the flour and water (and can be yeast) are mixed, before the salt is added. 

You might also want to look at this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21635.msg218669.html#msg218669

Like Mark posted try the addition of oil both ways to see what you like.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline kneader65

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
Thanks Norma and Mark for your responses.I was doing a Dominos style dough with 7.5% oil content.The reason for asking the question was that I noticed a diffference in dough behaviour when I added oil along with water  and when I added oil after hydrating flour.
When I added oil together with water,the dough was easy to strecth and did not tear easily.It was easy to get windowpane .But when I added oil after autolysis,I noticed the dough had a tendency to tear and window paning was not as good as in the first instance.I am using a Bosch universal and have not had any difficulty in incorporating oil after autolysis.
So I am leaning to the view that adding oil  in the beginning gives you a dough that is more easy to work wih though at the cost of gluten development.As an experiment I will now try a partial addition of oil with water at the start and will add the remainder during kneading.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
kneader65,

If you are using 7.5% oil for your Dominos style of dough it might work better of adding the oil first.  Keep up your experiments and see what happens.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
if mixing in my 'modified' bread machine, i add the oil to the water.  i always do sugar/water/yeast/oil, seperate from the salt and flour.  if the yeast shows activity, i add oil.  the flour and salt is already in the mixing bowl.

if it's more than my normal .1-1.5% oil (as in, 5% or higher, depends on recipe), i add the flour, salt, and oil to the bread machine.  i let it do its 6min 'pulse' cycle, wait another 5, and then add the water/sugar/yeast.  i've noticed it tends to give those flaky high oil pockets a LOT better.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
Most pizzerias mix everything in the bowl and then add the flour. Then start for 6-10 minutes on the Hobart.
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."