Author Topic: pizza screens  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Tory

pizza screens
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
Well, I typically use a pizza stone to cook my pizza. Recently I was given a couple of these aluminum 'screens'. However, on every attempt to use these screens, the pizzas usually either stick to the screen in spite of me 'oiling' the screen with olive oil or or cooking spray. I"m on the verge of throwing these screens in the trash. They really seem to be a bigger problem than they're worth.

Has anyone every used these screens? Had any success?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: pizza screens
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
Last time I used mine the aluminum frame melted, in the trash! :'(

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:38:22 PM »

Online Seven

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Never had any sticking on mine but I did season them before using. Are you pressing them too hard when applying sauce and toppings?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »
Tory,

I use a pizza screen every time I make pizza and do not have any trouble. Take a look at my thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.340.html

A few suggestions for you:

I press out my dough on my counter top and I have put enough flour on the surface to help the dough not to stick so much. (if you do not have a counter top to work on, then get a plastic or wooden board.)  You will have to flip the dough over and press it out a few times till you reach the desired size pizza circle. (Place the pizza screen over the pressed out dough to see how close you are to the correct circle size.) It does not have to be perfect, as you can shaped it.

Then place your dough onto the pizza screen. See if you can take the dough off the screen once before you start putting toppings on your dough. If it is already sticking, then you need some flour on it.
In most cases, mine never sticks to the screen. Again, make sure your dough is not that sticky when your ready to place it on the pizza screen.

The worst thing you can do is press the dough into the screen. The dough will bake into the screen.

I cook my thin crust pizza at 425 for 15 mins. (Adjust to your oven) You should not have any sticking to the screen. Pull the pizza off the hot screen with tongs when it is finished cooking.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Tory,

I forgot that i had these photos.

A friend was helping me make pizza. He pressed the dough into the screen in an attempt to reshape the pizza dough. As you can see, it baked into the screen. it is better to have your dough circle a little larger and then shape it on the pizza screen, than to have it smaller and try to press it out. Remember, it does not have to look perfect on the screen. Also, you will get better as you make more pizzas.

Just thought I would show you the photos of what can happen.

TomN
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:52:53 AM by TomN »

Offline GeordieBC

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
They are all I have ever used. Season them as you would a cast iron fry pan. Never wash them but if things stick let it try and tap them out. When theyvare black after a few years they rarely need much oil.  Always spray them with oil ( do it in the sink for easy clean up) and have dough rolled out before gently resting the dough on the screen. Put on your toppings and don't press the dough down. We used these at a pizzeria I worked at 30 years ago because none of us mastered the peel to do it fast without a mess. I still use a peel to get the pizza on the screen in and out of the oven off the stone. Less mess.

pizzapan