Author Topic: Malnatis better be looking over their shoulder  (Read 8542 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Malnatis better be looking over their shoulder
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
For mine....
I pull each Cento whole plum out individually and give it a squeeze over a bowl to get water out and then place in a 2nd bowl.....once all in I squeeze/break them up into size I want and then add the thick puree from the can to desired consistency....adjust for salt and that's it. No seasoning for me...I want those as bright and "tomatoey" as possible. I always use a sausage "patty" in mine so that is the "spices".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
It must have been tough parting with that beauty, LOL.

Yep.  It looked so good I used that pic on my Pinterest recipe.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Had the Chicago deep dish urge today.  Inspire by Nate's formula/approach, with a couple minor tweaks: I used 25% fat - half lard and half corn oil. No butter, no olive oil. I used a flour mixture comprised of 93% AP flour (9.8% protein) and 7% semola rimacinata di grano duro.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pythonic

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Had the Chicago deep dish urge today.  Inspire by Nate's formula/approach, with a couple minor tweaks: I used 25% fat - half lard and half corn oil. No butter, no olive oil. I used a flour mixture comprised of 93% AP flour (9.8% protein) and 7% semola rimacinata di grano duro.

Looks good Johnny.  How did it eat?

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
Thanks Nate. I'm no CDDP expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it came out OK I think. Crust flavor was very good. I greased my pan with lots of butter, so the outside crisped up a bit, but the crumb was moist and soft- like a savory shortcrust, but more crumbly than flaky. I wouldn't hesitate to use lard again, it added to the texture and flavor! Thanks for the inspiration to give CDDP another shot!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:52:17 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pythonic

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
Thanks Nate. I'm no CDDP expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it came out OK I think. Crust flavor was very good. I greased my pan with lots of butter, so the outside crisped up a bit, but the crumb was moist and soft- like a savory shortcrust, but more crumbly than flaky. I wouldn't hesitate to use lard again, it added to the texture and flavor! Thanks for the inspiration to give CDDP another shot!

Drop the oil to 21% and try corn oil. Corn oil is used to give the crust it's patented flavor.  It's not supposed to be too flaky either.  You want a cross between flaky and bready.   Go 46% hydration.  Also try putting your sausage directly on the cheese.

Nate

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
I'd say the crumb was a cross between crumbly and bready. Can't tell from the pic, but there was sausage over the cheese. I added some chunks over the sauce, because I noticed some members do that.  Kind of like a sneak preview of what's to come.

When you say "drop the oil to 21% and try corn oil", do you mean to use only corn oil as a fat source? Also, it seems butter flavored Crisco is a popular product for greasing the pan.  Is butter commonly used? How about corn oil?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pythonic

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »
I'd say the crumb was a cross between crumbly and bready. Can't tell from the pic, but there was sausage over the cheese. I added some chunks over the sauce, because I noticed some members do that.  Kind of like a sneak preview of what's to come.

When you say "drop the oil to 21% and try corn oil", do you mean to use only corn oil as a fat source? Also, it seems butter flavored Crisco is a popular product for greasing the pan.  Is butter commonly used? How about corn oil?

Got it.  I like the sneak preview.  Chicago deep dish restaurants for the norm also use an oil to coat the pan as well.  I prefer the crisco because it gives it a nice crispy outside.  I use like 80% corn/20% olive oil in my dough.  The crust should not be crumbly though.  Did u use sliced cheese?  Do you think that is perhaps coming from all the moisture/grease after cutting?   Did u use my mixing instructions?

Nate
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:13:03 PM by pythonic »

Online woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »
Malnatis better be eatin' their spuds runnin', because we're onto them.  ;D

Made my first Chicago DD using pythonic's same day dough, for the folks.
It came out really nice, we almost polished off the whole pie (well, only 9").

Some learnings for next time:
When using mushrooms that have been washed, get some water out of them
If using crushed tomatoes (Sclafani), get some water out of them
When adding fresh garden tomatoes for bigger chunk, get some water out of them
  ::)

Other than some extra moisture, the sausage and mushroom was a good combo,
and even so, the crust held up well. It was flaky and biscuity, using an anodized aluminum/steel combo. No seasoning required.
No butter flavored Crisco available, so I used butter and a bit of PAM.

I like this recipe a lot!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:15:43 PM by woodmakesitgood »