Author Topic: Chi-town thin pics  (Read 18447 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Chi-town thin pics
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:09:08 AM »
Just made a pretty nice Chicago cutter pan pizza...thought I would post some pizza eye candy.  :chef:

Thank you once again Lou Waters.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:17:31 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline petef

Re: Chi-town thin pics
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »
Nice pics, Bob. What are your topping there?

Reason I ask, I notice your toppings are swimming and submerged amongst all the cheese. I was getting similar results with my sausage & mushroom pies when I made a relativity thin crust.

When I buy a S&M pizza locally the toppings are usually nicely presented on top of the cheese and that's what I wanted to get with my home baked S&M pizza too.

I made one adjustment. I initially left the S&M toppings off. I baked the pizza with just the sauce & cheese about half way until I saw the cheese bubbling and rising up. Then I'd quickly remove the pie, add the S&M toppings and complete the bake. That did the trick!

Hey nothing wrong with submerged S&M in cheese, but if you ever wondered about that, I'm just sharing with you here. :)

---pete---

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:33:38 PM by petef »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
Looks like a Chi-town thin to me. Good work Bob!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »
that looks great Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  :)

Petef, pizza pie is indeed a S&M...cheese applied on top.
Back in the 70's we always put all the toppings above the cheese and they would pretty much stay there while still allowing a nice cheese GBD. Can't seem to get that with today's cheeses so rather than fight it I just load the cheese on last(luvs my crispy dark bits ;) )
Bob

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »
awesome pizza bob!!!  which loo waters recipe did you use? i love loos recipes!  he rocks!  its been in the single digits here so no wfo.  i too have been doin some thin crusts in pans in the oven on the stone.  having a lot of fun!  i don't know if they look as good as yours tho!!!!!  hey, what was your sauce?  that looks awesome too!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
awesome pizza bob!!!  which loo waters recipe did you use? i love loos recipes!  he rocks!  its been in the single digits here so no wfo.  i too have been doin some thin crusts in pans in the oven on the stone.  having a lot of fun!  i don't know if they look as good as yours tho!!!!!  hey, what was your sauce?  that looks awesome too!!
Thanks Mo. I use the Lou's on the "emergency" page and just double the yeast and salt(I use it within a couple hrs.). This sauce was puree made from Contadina paste, water, salt, pepper, dried oregano...the usual. ;) Glad to hear you've been making these too lately...would like to see your latest an greatest.  :chef:

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
This sauce was puree made from Contadina paste, water, salt, pepper, dried oregano...the usual.

Huzzah for paste!   :chef:

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
It's just so beautiful.... :'(
Josh

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
Damn, now I am hungry.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »
Damn Bob, that pie looks excellent!  What kind of cheese did you use?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »
Thanks Nate....jus try'in to follow in your footsteps man.  ;)  ;D
Cheese(and plenty of it :-[) is half Sorrento WM, half Scarmorza. The Scar is pretty dry and a pretty good amount of saltyness to it....they go well together. There was fresh shrooms on that pie so it didn't have my usual darker cheese crispies. The WM contributed a bit to that effect some too I'm sure...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:28:39 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
Looks good, but for folks reading this in the future, it would probably be useful to know what formulation was used, what (if any) changes were made, etc.  I post my photos and results in the appropriate existing thread for this reason.  Keep up the good work though, I look forward to seeing your next pies!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »
Just made a pretty nice Chicago cutter pan pizza...thought I would post some pizza eye candy.  :chef:

Thank you once again Lou Waters.  ;)
Gee Whiz Wally....I'm jus a stupid kid try'in to make my own fun "pic" thread.....  ???

;D

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »
bob, you mentioned this was loos thin from the emergency page right?  in a cutter pan and not dierct on the stone  right?  thats the same one I've been doing in my deep dish pan!  what else is funny is i used the same paste, i normally use puree.  i also tried Garveys pizza factory sauce which was very good as well!!  i need to get the pics off my camera!  i cant use the wfo(too cold outside!)  and doin em in the pan over using peel and getting them on the stone adds 4 min to cook time but heck a lot easier!! and less stress!!! i mean i think im pretty good now peel to stone but i still stress getting em on my small stone in the oven.  I've also been trying different oils in the pan to try and get a fried crisp to the crust.  best so far has been butter flavored shortening!   i don't think mine look as good as yours though!  thats one tasty looking pie you made!!!   love it!!!  im envious of your skills!!!!!  and of you and your friends taste buds!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:12:02 AM by mrmojo1 »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
garvey thanks a ton for the pizza factory sauce recipe!  really enjoyed the flavors!!  brought back memories of pizzas i had growing up in the chicago burbs!!!  thanks again!!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:22 AM »
bob, you mentioned this was loos thin from the emergency page right?  in a cutter pan and not dierct on the stone  right?  thats the same one I've been doing in my deep dish pan!  what else is funny is i used the same paste, i normally use puree.  i also tried Garveys pizza factory sauce which was very good as well!!  i need to get the pics off my camera!  i cant use the wfo(too cold outside!)  and doin em in the pan over using peel and getting them on the stone adds 4 min to cook time but heck a lot easier!! and less stress!!! i mean i think im pretty good now peel to stone but i still stress getting em on my small stone in the ove
Mr Mo,
Yes, loo's from emergency and in a pan. I always leave the stone in oven...for this style I put cutter pan on rack below stone''good to go as soon as oven hits preheated. Convenience aside Mo, I believe the pan also contributes a (softness) texture/aspect to how this Chicago thin bakes. They don't call 'em greasy 'lil (fold able) squares for nothing.  ;)

ps, Garvey is straight in tune with his spiced up sauce. 8)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »
I've also been trying different oils in the pan to try and get a fried crisp to the crust.  best so far has been butter flavored shortening!  
This type of dough has a relatively high oil content in it....if I wanted to try and accomplish what you are describing Mo.....I'd dial the oil waaay back(in your dough formula), go ahead and oil the pan(lard for me) and bake that thing pretty hot, in pan on top of a stone(that is well pre-heated) on the upper rack. And don't forget your thin TF. Hope this makes a 'lil sense...give it a go and please let us know....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:37:52 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
garvey thanks a ton for the pizza factory sauce recipe!  really enjoyed the flavors!!  brought back memories of pizzas i had growing up in the chicago burbs!!!  thanks again!!!

Thanks, buddy!  Sauce doesn't get nearly enough respect around here.  It's all about the dough.   :chef:

Cheers!
Garvey

Offline dtikal

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Hey Chicago Bob! Thats a great looking pizza!  Looks like what I am after.  Sorry for the trouble, but I am having difficulty locating the Loos recipe on the emergency page.  Can you direct link it? I am dying to try it.

pizzapan