Author Topic: Chi-town thin pics  (Read 16503 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Chi-town thin pics
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
Oh man!  looks soooo good! Sounds like you loved the new sauce?  Really looks delicious!   inspiring!  was the crust still l loos emergency thin crust you did before?  rock on Bob!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
wait!  this is your new dough recipe!!  looks awesome!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
Oh man!  looks soooo good! Sounds like you loved the new sauce?  Really looks delicious!   inspiring!  was the crust still l loos emergency thin crust you did before?  rock on Bob!
I am a big fan of Mr. loowaters, but to be fair to him I suppose I should stop riding on his coat tails.  :)
I use his emergency "generic Chicago thin crust" recipe but double the salt and yeast....and to even further bastardize it instead of water I used 50/50 milk and Icehouse beer on this last one.

Does that qualify it yet to say that it is my own recipe now? I don't know and I don't care either...as long as if it can inspire someone else to give it a go, and they like it....then that would make me happy, sure.  :)

Bob

edit: sorry Terry, looks like we posted at the same time... :-D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:10:29 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
no worries Bob! Thanks for getting back to me! Your changes sound really interesting! milk and beer!  Did you still get a crisp bottom?  It sounds like you liked the flavor of the crust too? Nice work!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
no worries Bob! Thanks for getting back to me! Your changes sound really interesting! milk and beer!  Did you still get a crisp bottom?  It sounds like you liked the flavor of the crust too? Nice work!
Oh yes, tasted good...I like the milk in there, seems to add tenderness. My crust is really not what I would call crispy at all Terry...only the lip is "crisp" and the rest of it is easily "foldable". In fact, sometimes I use a lower bake temp and the bottom comes out a very pale, light brown...almost white. That's what I grew up on and like the most. Now if only I could get the mozz from back then.....

Whip one of these up for a same day Terry...you can use the dough right after making it if you want to. Super easy!  :chef:

Bob

Offline chaspie

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
Bob, I'm not very familiar with the Chicago thin style pizza, but yours are some of the best looking ones I've ever seen.  They look incredibly appetizing.   

I don't think I have a proper cutter pan, but I'd like to try to make a pizza like this anyway.  What was your baking temperature and time for the pizzas you posted at the start of the thread?  What's the typical range of cooking time/temp for this style? 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
Bob, I'm not very familiar with the Chicago thin style pizza, but yours are some of the best looking ones I've ever seen.  They look incredibly appetizing.   

I don't think I have a proper cutter pan, but I'd like to try to make a pizza like this anyway.  What was your baking temperature and time for the pizzas you posted at the start of the thread?  What's the typical range of cooking time/temp for this style?
Thank you Chuck.  :)
Hey, you don't really need a special pan. I started with just a cheapo grocery store pan from the baking goods isle...maybe went to an "air bake" cheapo at Walmart, etc. This doesn't look bad...http://www.walmart.com/ip/BakerEze-3-Piece-Pizza-Pan-Set/8071233

Anyway, a good pan will, of course, give even heating and consistent results. But my American Metalcraft pans still only cost like 15-20 bucks. ;)

Middle rack, 450 degrees gets you in the ball park and typical bake time is 13-15 minutes. Super easy pizza to make...hope you give it a go soon pizza pal!  :chef:

Bob

Offline chaspie

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
Thank you Bob.  I found a pan that will work.  I'm looking forward to giving this a try.  I'll post pics if it looks decent.   :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2013, 12:34:42 AM »
Finally...a b-day pizza!  ;D
Only 2 days late but that's OK 'cause I'm still celebrating...know what I mean.  8)

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:18 AM »
Don’t know what recipe of Chicago Bob’s this is but I tried it and it was really good, quick and easy.  No pics as the batteries in the camera died. From  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23730.msg241043.html#msg241043

AP Flour (I use AP)  100%
Water 50
Corn oil 3
Salt 2
IDY .08
TF = .09
I rolled it as thin as I could. Put it in the pan and trimmed off the rest.  Took the trimmings and made another smaller pizza with it.  Did that one on a stone without a pan.  Both pizzas were great.  Thanks for the recipe CB.  Now I just need to work on my sauce.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
Don’t know what recipe of Chicago Bob’s this is but I tried it and it was really good, quick and easy.  No pics as the batteries in the camera died. From  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23730.msg241043.html#msg241043

AP Flour (I use AP)  100%
Water 50
Corn oil 3
Salt 2
IDY .08
TF = .09
I rolled it as thin as I could. Put it in the pan and trimmed off the rest.  Took the trimmings and made another smaller pizza with it.  Did that one on a stone without a pan.  Both pizzas were great.  Thanks for the recipe CB.  Now I just need to work on my sauce.
Glad this worked out for you Bill. The recipe is one I've played with for quite a while; making different changes to what began as loowaters thin in the Emergency dough section.
I'm happy to see the way you rolled those pizzas because the TF I gave is really just an estimate on the high side actually. Sometimes I like it a little thicker- like .09; especially if I am doing more than 1 topping.
Here is formula to what I'm recently doing that I believe you will like. Have fun!  :chef:

water:50
IDY:1
salt:2
corn oil:4
sugar:1
TF:.07

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
Happy birthday Bob!!!!!!  awesome looking pizza!!!!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
Thank you Terry!  :)

Offline Condolini

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
Those look yummy! Guess Chi thin is my next project. Thanks C B!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
Looks fantastic Bob.  Is that sausage and mushroom?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline redox

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
Bob,
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! That looks great. Next time I do Chi thin I'll try your new formula. Same day dough? How many hours? Room temp ferment or 'fridge?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Why thank you so much fellers.  :-[

Condolini: yes, please do go for it pizza pal; these babies are far from being a "project", they practically fall right together for ya.  :chef:

Nate: yes sir..good old Med. S,M...as we would write on the guest check back in the day. :)

Jay: you got it buddy...same day; er... maybe same hour  :)   this is "Easy Peazzy" pizza, bro!!  :drool:

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »
Hey CB happy birthday.
CB I'll give your updated recipe a try.  Same hour?  You do let it rise correct?  I'm guessing rise intil it doubles or close to doubleing. Anyways that is what I did with the other one just let it rise then rolled it out as thin as I could and panned it, sauced, topped and off to a 500 degree oven. Btw I used ADY at the same amounts as your IDY. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:42:48 AM by wrm2012 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
Hey CB happy birthday.
CB I'll give your updated recipe a try.  Same hour?  You do let it rise correct?  I'm guessing rise intil it doubles or close to doubleing. Anyways that is what I did with the other one just let it rise then rolled it out as thin as I could and panned it, sauced, topped and off to a 500 degree oven. Btw I used ADY at the same amounts as your IDY.
Thanks Bill!  8)

Good question...back in the 70's we didn't know anything about letting dough rise to develop flavor,etc.. In fact; when I was just a prep boy(13yrs. old?)the older boys would get mad at me if I had somehow "messed" up the dough because it was rising too much in the sheet pans and making it hard for them to pull dough balls.  :-\   Now a days I put it in a warm oven and it will double quickly. Try some beer instead of the water sometime Bill.  :)  Same amounts of ADY vs IDY is fine for this dough...it'll never know what hit it!  ;D
Just have fun and try an get a pic or three up here if you would please. :chef:

Bob

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
Mini Pepperoni and green peppers.  Was a little heavy handed on the sauce and cheese and it was great.  Sorry no beer in the dough some how I ended up just drinking it. Guess I have a little trouble pouring beer in anything other than my mouth.  Thanks to my son and his Ipod for the pic.