Author Topic: Chi-town thin pics  (Read 17937 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Chi-town thin pics
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Mini Pepperoni and green peppers.  Was a little heavy handed on the sauce and cheese and it was great.  Sorry no beer in the dough some how I ended up just drinking it. Guess I have a little trouble pouring beer in anything other than my mouth.  Thanks to my son and his Ipod for the pic.
Mmmm Hmm..I have that same problem with beer. That pizza sure does look tasty though and I hope your son enjoyed your excellent work!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
Bit late -- Happy Birthday Bob

Awesome looking pies...
Bert,

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »
He loved it.  Now if I could just get him to kick his pepperoni habat, and get him hooked on sausage.  With the left over dough I made a pizza of ranch dressing, green peppers, and sliced tomatoes.  No pics it was an ugly pizza.  I didn't care for the ranch dressing, need to find a good white sauce.  The crust was great though and the od shape had alot of untopped parts and the crust really became cracker like.  I'm guessing this dough would make a very good cracker if pre baked.  LOL guess I should have taken a pic of it now that I said that.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
He loved it.  Now if I could just get him to kick his pepperoni habat, and get him hooked on sausage.  With the left over dough I made a pizza of ranch dressing, green peppers, and sliced tomatoes.  No pics it was an ugly pizza.  I didn't care for the ranch dressing, need to find a good white sauce.  The crust was great though and the od shape had alot of untopped parts and the crust really became cracker like.  I'm guessing this dough would make a very good cracker if pre baked.  LOL guess I should have taken a pic of it now that I said that.
wrm,
I love it when people use the excess scraps and make a second 'lil pizza out of it...you did good!  :)
Have you tried the Premio brand mild Italian sausage yet? Try making your son a grilled sausage an peppers sandwich..that ought to hook him.
Very astute of you; yes, this dough makes a fine cracker pizza when you pre bake the crust.  :chef:

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2013, 11:54:26 PM »
Thin to win..once again. Sweet 'lil Friday night pizza; sausage an mushroomz. Got me some krispy crispies from up there on the top shelf man! Reminded me of back home.  :drool:

Offline moose13

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
Damn! Now i am hungry again.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
Damn! Now i am hungry again.
Thank you Moose....I like to think of the top as being a happy Brown colored cloud filled full of nice pleasant rain for the awaiting thirsty Spring plants down below; rather than a mean, not so lovely dark cloud that might want to bring bad news to a good day.
You know what I mean man?  ;D
Glad you enjoy.  :)

Bob

Offline redox

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »
Wow! That's the most evenly browned pie I've seen in some time. Beautiful! It's like edge play for pizza. What'd you do, rotate it every 30 seconds?  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »
Wow! That's the most evenly browned pie I've seen in some time. Beautiful! It's like edge play for pizza. What'd you do, rotate it every 30 seconds?  ;D
Thanks Jay! Cooked it on the top rack and just left it alone. Well, I did whisper to it a 'lil bit before placing in oven.  8)

Bob ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »
Another enjoyable Sunday night; Chicago thin pizza style.   8)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
Bob,

Those are great. You will have to bring your skills to ILM.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
Bob,

Those are great. You will have to bring your skills to ILM.

John K
Thanks!  Bob is the Paladin of pizza making...have peel; will travel.  8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun_%E2%80%93_Will_Travel

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »
Made one last Sunday with 1/3 milk and 2/3 water, no Ice House Though.  I didn't double the yeast and salt but I did let the dough rise in the oven with the light on for 1.5 hr and let it rise another 1.5 on the counter before baking.  The dough at least doubled but when I baked the pizza the crust didn't rise at all.  This one was baked at 450 for 19 min.  The top looked beautiful but the bottom remained a pasty white.  The flour I used was King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose.  For the next one I guess I'll get some Gold Metal Unbleached All Purpose or maybe I should add more corn oil? 

Still the most successful pizza I've had lately.  Also the picture of the oven setup is how it was baked, the stone was on a rack above the metal perforated pizza pan.  Should I lower the pizza closer to the bottom of the oven?  I really miss Chicago thin pizza here in Tampa and would like to perfect a recipe before the Bears season starts again.

Thanks  :)

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »
looks good, i'd eat it!   :chef:  if you want to cook the bottom more, move the stone to the bottom so it can better "see" the radiant heat from your bottom heating element. 

also, if I had to criticize, I might suggest applying sauce and toppings a bit closer to the edge so the rim isn't as big.  Also, that thing needs more sausage!   :chef:

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
Thanks CDN,  I agree the sauce needs to be closer to the edge.  The cheese turned out excellent.  I used Sorrento part skim mozz. with Sargento pre-sliced deli style provolone all over the top.  It was a pleasant chewy cheese that reminded me of home.  And for the sauce I used Chicago Bob's recipe on this thread, but with a little bit more water.  That was also excellent.  I have been searching and buying whole canned organic tomatoes for sauces when all I needed was a 89 cent can of Continada.  Thanks again! 

Today I also got a new pizza pan from amazon.  I ordered it last week when I read Chicago Bob used American Metal Craft Pans.  Here is a picture of both 16" pans I now own.  The American Metal Craft is the one on the left.  Is this similar to your pan Bob?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
Thanks CDN,  I agree the sauce needs to be closer to the edge.  The cheese turned out excellent.  I used Sorrento part skim mozz. with Sargento pre-sliced deli style provolone all over the top.  It was a pleasant chewy cheese that reminded me of home.  And for the sauce I used Chicago Bob's recipe on this thread, but with a little bit more water.  That was also excellent.  I have been searching and buying whole canned organic tomatoes for sauces when all I needed was a 89 cent can of Continada.  Thanks again! 

Today I also got a new pizza pan from amazon.  I ordered it last week when I read Chicago Bob used American Metal Craft Pans.  Here is a picture of both 16" pans I now own.  The American Metal Craft is the one on the left.  Is this similar to your pan Bob?
Shaffer,
A bit hard to see the inside side of your new pan but I can tell you right now it is going to make a much better pizza than the perforated pan.
How bout posting your dough formula; especially the dough ball weight. Or just tell me what size the new pan is....looks like you used about twice the amount of dough you need so lets get that straightened out first thing.
With your oven; I think we might need a tiny bit of sugar in dough for browning, I've used your cheeses(extensively)and know how to work them and with the sauce situation under control this all should be a very easy fix.  8)

Bob

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »
...the picture of the oven setup is how it was baked, the stone was on a rack above the metal perforated pizza pan.  Should I lower the pizza closer to the bottom of the oven?  I really miss Chicago thin pizza here in Tampa and would like to perfect a recipe before the Bears season starts again.

Looks like you're getting close!  Nice job!

I'd go a different direction, personally, and advise you to ditch the pan and cook on the stone instead.  (To make it easier, you can assemble the pie on foil and then launch that onto the stone, removing the foil for the last few minutes as desired.)  I'd even suggest getting a second stone.  Put one low and one high.  I like to start my pizzas low (to cook the crust) and then finish high (to brown the cheese).  Of course, your oven may vary, but I've found that the two-stone setup is the best way to achieve consistent results under a variety of conditions. 

Also, if you're looking for a tried and true recipe, I'd naturally suggest my own.  But barring that, I'd suggest moving towards a longer ferment.  Same day dough doesn't do it for me.  It's too unpredictable (IMO) and has too many off flavors (IMO).

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
Thanks Garvey, When I started making pizza at home last year I actually started on your recipe.  It was very good but I was having trouble figuring out the right cheese to use at the time, I was not getting the results I wanted and I became discouraged for a while.  Until I came across this thread, I was using the pizza stone for a lot of different recipes but none of them were as successful as yours.  Recently in Tampa, a Chicago pizzeria opened up called Rosati's that I used to frequent in the west suburbs of Chicago.  I then correctly remembered that the crust that I liked was soft and foldable.  I think I need to make your recipe again with the metal pan.  Also thanks for your sauce and pizza recipes.  Because of your blog I have been tempted to get my own pizza boxes so I can deliver them to myself LOL!

Thanks Chicago Bob, I used the Lehmann dough calculator for a 16" pizza and a thickness factor of 0.09
Flour (100%):         330.9 grams
Water (33.33%):    110.3
Milk (16.66):           55.16
ADY (1%):              3.31
Salt (1%):              3.31
Corn Oil (3%):         9.93
Total:                     512.91
My digital scale from target only measures to the nearest gram so I usually just round the ingredients...

Also from Loowater's recipe are these directions I followed:
Stand mixer instructions: In the mixer bowl, add water and salt to dissolve.  Addanyeast and allow to bloom for 5 minutes.  Add half of the flour and combine fully on mix setting then knead for 8 minutes on 4 setting.   Add remaining flour and attempt to fully combine.  Note: Because the dough is very dry, it will not form into a cohesive ball; rather it will be loose and scrappy with some raw flour left unincorporated.

Rising: After proper mixing, the dough will be very stiff. Place dough in oiled bowl and allow to rise for a minimum 1 1/2 in oven with light on and hot water along with for humidity.  Divide and let rise on counter for another hour or two or move to fridge for later use.

Instead of putting it in the fridge I used it right away. 

I am really excited to start making 16" pizzas in my new pan than my 14" stone.  That way I can make just one pizza instead of two.  Maybe I can try switching to the gold metal flour and eliminate the milk and make it all water.  All of your pies look great, if I take out the milk and use the flour you use, maybe I can eliminate some variations from your 1st pizzas on this thread.  I can also try doubling the yeast and salt, that in combination with the new pan might produce results similar to yours.  I am really just a novice that started making pizzas at home August 2012 so your advice is very much appreciated.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
Wow, man, I don't have much to add.  Sounds like you're in the throes of a full blown pizza experimentation cycle.  Really, that is awesome.  I know you want to achieve great results, so it will happen for you.  Just take good notes along the way, and you'll get what you're looking for sooner or later. 

I've never had good luck with pans.  I know many on here swear by them, but I always get exactly what you got: crust that is too blonde and never cooks up right.

I like your idea of ditching the milk.  And if King Arthur ain't doing it for you, ditch that, too. 

Here is a softer dough formulation I've used.  Makes one 14" pie.  Do a 24-hr ferment in the fridge for this one.
Flour (100%):
Water (52%):
IDY (0.8%):
Salt (1.5%):
Oil (4%):
Sugar (1.5%):
Total (159.8%):
281.6 g  |  9.93 oz | 0.62 lbs
146.43 g  |  5.17 oz | 0.32 lbs
2.25 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.75 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
4.22 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.76 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
11.26 g | 0.4 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.5 tsp | 0.83 tbsp
4.22 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.06 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
450 g | 15.87 oz | 0.99 lbs | TF = N/A

Hope it helps somehow.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
Chicago thin in the wfo. front edge got too close to the fire off the peel, but it flaked off and the char added some good flavor. here's a pic or 2 and this didn't happen!

pizzapan