Author Topic: Chi-town thin pics  (Read 18868 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Chi-town thin pics
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
Garvey, DD and Chicago thin should be a breeze to cook in the wfo.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Shaffer,
I'm beginning to suspect your oven. Do you have a way of taking some temps. or even a temp. right on the center rack.

At 450 this pizza; with the dough weight I'v given should bake in around 12 mins..  Your 20 min bake should make that crust almost burnt and the cheese would probably break down also.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
I'm confused...  If you're concerned about preheating a stone, why would you cook on one initially, only to then remove the pizza?  If you preheat the stone, why not take advantage of it and use it the whole time? 

Again, the problem is that you're heating the top too much compared with the bottom.  The only way to change that is to increase the heat at the bottom (or decrease top heating) using a stone and/or the bottom rack (probably both). 

Apparently in his oven, Chicago Bob is able to get good browning on the bottom using just a pan on the middle rack, but ovens are different and clearly isn't working for you.  This is why humans have developed heat transfer theory!  There really isn't any question - you can keep trying the same thing again (and getting the same results), or you can use one of the methods I've described to better heat the bottom.   :chef:

CDN, your right.  I left out that I would preheat the stone before putting the pizza pan on top.  I don't mean to be repetitive with cooking on the middle shelf, I was just trying out 2 pizza pans I never used.  I thought that maybe one would transfer heat better than the other.  For my next trial and error I'll skip the stone and move the pizza pan to the bottom rack.

CB, that's a good idea, I have some surface thermometers I use for my Weber.  I'll give it a check.

Thank you to all our veterans.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone. 

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »
I made the generic Chicago thin 16" recipe at my cousin's house for the Sunday before memorial day.  Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures.  The pizza was cooked on the bottom rack using only the perforated pan and I added 2% sugar to the recipe.  The dough also sat it the fridge for two days before cooking.  The browning turned out very good.  The outer crust was a little crispier than the center but the center was still browned.  The pizza turned out to be the hit of the party.  Some neighbors there even asked if I owned my own pizza joint.  Of course I told them the truth and about pizzamaking.com .  It felt really good to finally have a successful pizza and share it with everyone.  I cook a lot of other food than pizza and I always feel like cooking a good meal is great, but even better when you can share it with people.

Chicago Bob, I found the Premio mild Italian sausage!  I haven't checked Wallmart yet but it is at a grocery down here called Win Dixie.  I used it on my pizza last Sunday.  My uncle who hasn't lived in the Chicago area since the 70's really, really liked sausage and asked what kind it was.  I didn't ask but I suspect it might have reminded him of the sausage he used to get back in the day. 

Tonight I'm going to repeat the Loowater's Chicago Generic Thin recipe with 2% sugar added with my oven on the bottom rack.  I'll post some pics soon.  I think my bottom rack will do the same trick as my cousin's.  CB, when I preheat my oven I'll check the temp with my other thermometer. 

I want to try another:
- Chicago Bob's thin recipe he recommended to me on this thread
- Garvey's Recipe from the " Chicago Thin A Labor of Love" thread
- and the Chicago Bob's Ice house recipe on this thread. 

I'm getting reconstructive knee ACL surgery this Friday, I will be out of action for 2-4 weeks so that's in the future. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:37:08 PM by shff1984 »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
I gotta try this Premio stuff.  I see the Mild pictured.  How are the Mild and Sweet different, C-Bob (or anyone else)?  It's confusing to me that they sell both separately, because I've only ever known "sweet" and "mild" to be interchangeable, with a producer picking one name or the other.

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
I just looked up the nutritional differences on the Premio website.  It looks like they are very similar in ingredients.  Both of the labels on the red portion of the front package say made with real imported fennel.  The main differences I see are that the mild Italian sausage is higher in fat and calories.  I haven't tried the sweet sausage so they might both taste good.  If its unhealthy it usually tastes good.  Here are some pics of the nutritional info:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
I gotta try this Premio stuff.  I see the Mild pictured.  How are the Mild and Sweet different, C-Bob (or anyone else)?  It's confusing to me that they sell both separately, because I've only ever known "sweet" and "mild" to be interchangeable, with a producer picking one name or the other.
Big difference between the 2 Garvey.
Sweet is more like the bad imitations of Italian sausage you normally get at a grocery store or even Whole Foods. More basily than fennel like flavor and texture is wrong; sort of a greasy, finer grind feel in the mouth.

The mild is the closest I've come to good old Chicago fennel sausage we used at the pizzeria's back in the 70's. The fennel and porkiness come through and the grind/fat slight chunkyness holds up and gives the correct type of "chew" to this "mild" selection of Premio sausage.
It's odd that they look the same(grind) in their packages but the way they cook up is quite different. Try both if you'd like...the second best thing about this sausage is that it sells for under 3 bucks a pound! 8) Hope I've helped...

Bob

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Yes, thanks, both of you!  Very helpful.  It's odd that they'd use different grinds and different meats, too.  I would have imagined they'd use the same base meat and grind for every product.

Offline redox

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
When I get the taste for pizza I can't always wait 3 days for Garvey's version (delicious as it is) so I'm gonna have to do yours again now that I've gotten a bit better at rolling the dough really thin. Soon...but I really have to watch my pizza intake since I can now make such good pies at home. That's one reason I bought the smallish 12-inch cutter pan. I'm becoming a big fan of cutter pans, btw. I got a Hex Quik Disk here http://www.pizzatools.com/Hex_Quik-Disks/30885/subgrouping.htm but haven't used it yet except to help launch a pie that was too big for my small pizza peel. I need to see how well that works for a thin crust.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
When I get the taste for pizza I can't always wait 3 days for Garvey's version (delicious as it is) so I'm gonna have to do yours again now that I've gotten a bit better at rolling the dough really thin. Soon...but I really have to watch my pizza intake since I can now make such good pies at home. That's one reason I bought the smallish 12-inch cutter pan. I'm becoming a big fan of cutter pans, btw. I got a Hex Quik Disk here http://www.pizzatools.com/Hex_Quik-Disks/30885/subgrouping.htm but haven't used it yet except to help launch a pie that was too big for my small pizza peel. I need to see how well that works for a thin crust.
I hear you on the pizza intake Jay.
I often use a little 10" cutter pan...only takes 5oz of dough.  ;)

Bob

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »
I just looked up the nutritional differences on the Premio website.  It looks like they are very similar in ingredients.  Both of the labels on the red portion of the front package say made with real imported fennel.  The main differences I see are that the mild Italian sausage is higher in fat and calories.  I haven't tried the sweet sausage so they might both taste good.  If its unhealthy it usually tastes good.  Here are some pics of the nutritional info:

Bob,

You need to call up your friends at the FDA and see if they can get a crack investigative team on this sweet/mild Premio deal??!!!!

Seriously, why would a company want to do this --- to have minor variations of a "similar" product causing only confusion amongst customers (like me! ???). I could understand if they called one "sweet" and one "fennel" but I just don't get the sweet/mild distinction. I can see that there's paprika in the sweet, and also that they list the preservatives on one but not the other. And now you're telling me the grind is different between the two??? Dang-it!

Admission: I think I have been getting the sweet all along (That's all they have at Costco). Embarrased to say I think its good :-[. And also I'm going to admit I thought "Ol' Bobby may just be a little bit too picky on his sausage and these products are just the same thing in different packages!"

But now you have piqued my interest sir, and I will be heading to Walmart, and buying some MILD premio, and doing a side-by-side, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of the two sausages in question.

I need help on one aspect of my study --- I need a good sausage placebo! Just kidding.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline redox

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
Bob,

You need to call up your friends at the FDA and see if they can get a crack investigative team on this sweet/mild Premio deal??!!!!

Seriously, why would a company want to do this --- to have minor variations of a "similar" product causing only confusion amongst customers (like me! ???). I could understand if they called one "sweet" and one "fennel" but I just don't get the sweet/mild distinction. I can see that there's paprika in the sweet, and also that they list the preservatives on one but not the other. And now you're telling me the grind is different between the two??? Dang-it!

Admission: I think I have been getting the sweet all along (That's all they have at Costco). Embarrased to say I think its good :-[. And also I'm going to admit I thought "Ol' Bobby may just be a little bit too picky on his sausage and these products are just the same thing in different packages!"

But now you have piqued my interest sir, and I will be heading to Walmart, and buying some MILD premio, and doing a side-by-side, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of the two sausages in question.

I need help on one aspect of my study --- I need a good sausage placebo! Just kidding.

John K

John,
I've been using the Premio Sweet Italian Sausage from Costco, too. I like it just fine although I've been thinking of adding fennel to the next thin crust to try to make it more "Chicago-like".
I'd be interested in your side-by-side taste test.

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
This one was a half sausage pizza cooked at 450 for 20 min on the bottom rack.  As CB would say, "Eazy Pezzy" :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
What gives man...ya'll don't trust "OL" Bobby?  8)
Actually; I think it a good idea to try all 3 types.....different folks an all that. :chef:

Offline redox

« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
This one was a half sausage pizza cooked at 450 for 20 min on the bottom rack.  As CB would say, "Eazy Pezzy" :chef:

Uh-oh, you're in for it now.  ;D

Offline shff1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
Sorry man,  I barely got 2 pieces last Sunday.  I had to have more of that pizza again.  Thanks for the recommendation on the sausage, it will be my go to sausage just like the Contadina sauce.  Its like I can't get enough pizza.  I want to try everything.  I think that last thin recipe you gave me is going to be next and then the Ice House.  It's good because I've been drinking the ice house lately.  The Ice House is very powerful! :pizza:

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
What gives man...ya'll don't trust "OL" Bobby?  8)
Actually; I think it a good idea to try all 3 types.....different folks an all that. :chef:

Nah,

It's just Newton's 1st Law of Inertia! Had the two Premio types been there side-by-side I would have purchased both. Since purchasing the mild would require a separate trip to Wallyworld it just didn't happen!

But now it will! Cuz Bobby has spoken! :)

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
Uh-oh, you're in for it now.  ;D
Feareth not for our humble pizza pal sir redox. For he knoweth not my ways...this time!!  >:D

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2013, 12:48:34 AM »
great looking pizza!  were you happy with your bottom crust? still looks a little light....i think if you have that stone in there.  either cook with the cutter right on the stone, or after 5 min slide it off the cutter onto the stone!  unless you got it the way you want it!! then repeat repeat lather, rinse and repeat!! really good looking browning and leoparding on that cheese! 

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2013, 01:40:02 AM »
Yes, stone on bottom rack, didn't I say that pages ago?  :-D