Author Topic: Chi-town thin pics  (Read 20757 times)

Offline wrm2012

Re: Chi-town thin pics
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »
What gives man...ya'll don't trust "OL" Bobby?  8)
Actually; I think it a good idea to try all 3 types.....different folks an all that. :chef:
  I did just that with Johnsonville.  I preferred the hot. My son preferred the mild. Daughter preferred the sweet.  Wife was in the mild camp.  Funny thing is just for laughs I also cooked up some turkey breakfast sausage and we all picked that one as our second favorite.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:40 AM »
Not that it matters, but here is my recollection of Italian sausage growing up in Chicago in the 50's.

When dad said he was going to the butcher to pick up some sausage he'd ask what everyone wanted.

Sweet was the most mild, just a plain old Italian sausage, tasting mostly of fennel.
Mild was the next step up, I'd say the same as sweet but with more spice added.
Hot was hot, probably some red pepper flakes added to the mixture
And there was also extra hot, which almost no one ever wanted, probably cayenne added to the hot.

Now living in Tampa, I prefer SweetBay store brand Italian. Quite a bit of fennel, and as close to Chicago as I can remember.
I've had the Premio, and while it's good, just not as good as SweetBay.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »
Yes, stone on bottom rack, didn't I say that pages ago?  :-D
Heck yeah!! i think you did!! sorry about that!!  good info! worth repeating!! worth endorsing!!

Offline BTB

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
Looking at all the great work that a large number of you guys and gals are doing on Chicago thin crust style pizzas makes me hanker for getting back to work on baking up some of these great pizzas.  Its been a while, but here's one I made in the past.
                                                                                          --BTB          :drool:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
Looking at all the great work that a large number of you guys and gals are doing on Chicago thin crust style pizzas makes me hanker for getting back to work on baking up some of these great pizzas.  Its been a while, but here's one I made in the past.
                                                                                          --BTB          :drool:
Awesome looking as always BTB...great to hear you have a hankering to get back to making some of these. Really look forward to that!!  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BTB

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
Different Chicago Pizza Cuts:  "Squares" and "Strips" aka "Chesdan Cuts"
While  Chicago style thin crust pizzas were most often cut into "squares," a large number of great thin crust pizzerias in Chicago cut their pizzas into "Strips" instead.  The most famous of the pizza places that cut into strips was Chesdan's on Archer Ave, who for decades was a major competitor to another famous pizzeria a mile or so away, i.e., Home Run Inn.  And Mrmojo, you'll recall that DiMaggio's in Southwest Michigan cuts their pizzas into "strips" too.  (umm . . . just had one last Saturday night.)  The term party cut was never heard or spoken in circles that I traveled in until I started to visit this website a few years ago.

Here's some examples that I baked and cut in both ways in the recent past.

--BTB                :chef:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:08:48 PM by BTB »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2013, 11:05:51 PM »
oh man! that looks fantastic!!  i love dimaggios!!!  i miss it dearly! havnt  gotten back to the parents summer place in like 5 years!!!  how would you classify dimaggios?  is it chicago thin or something more akin to that area. i recall its crust, something about it like oil baked in? and lots of corn meal from the peel? man!! excellent sauce and sausage too!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »
great to hear from you again BTB!  your pizzas are amazing as always!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
Different Chicago Pizza Cuts:  "Squares" and "Strips" aka "Chesdan Cuts"
While  Chicago style thin crust pizzas were most often cut into "squares," a large number of great thin crust pizzerias in Chicago cut their pizzas into "Strips" instead.  The most famous of the pizza places that cut into strips was Chesdan's on Archer Ave, who for decades was a major competitor to another famous pizzeria a mile or so away, i.e., Home Run Inn.  And Mrmojo, you'll recall that DiMaggio's in Southwest Michigan cuts their pizzas into "strips" too.  (umm . . . just had one last Saturday night.)  The term party cut was never heard or spoken in circles that I traveled in until I started to visit this website a few years ago.

Here's some examples that I baked and cut in both ways in the recent past.

--BTB                :chef:
Hi BTB,
The 3rd pizza pic in your trio is haunting me...any chance you can link all of us to that particular one?  :drool:
Thanks!  :chef:

Bob

Offline redox

« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
Bob,
No Chicago thin pics in awhile. You're not giving up pizza for the summer are you? A 14 minute or so bake with no stone is perfect for the hot weather. Btw, the more I use that cutter pan the more I like it, and I liked it a lot the first time I used it.  :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
Bob,
No Chicago thin pics in awhile. You're not giving up pizza for the summer are you? A 14 minute or so bake with no stone is perfect for the hot weather. Btw, the more I use that cutter pan the more I like it, and I liked it a lot the first time I used it.  :)
No sir! Absolutely not giving up noth'in when it comes to pizza...n-o-t-h-i-n-g!
Jus trying to loose a 'lil weight that's all.....and now you done made me hungry to fire off a pie tonight; dag it!  :drool:

Yep, that brand of pans just seem to get mo bettah as time goes by.  :chef:

Offline BTB

« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
Here's a link to the Kitchen Daily website.  Their survey just named Chicago the No. 1 U.S. city among 35 for best pizza, according to Travel + Leisure readers.  Chicago pizza enthusiasts like us, of course, already know that.     >:D

America’s Best Cities for Pizza
http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/americas-favorite-pizza

--BTB                            :D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »
Sweet home Chicago!  8)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
Those are some amazing lookin' pies. I smoked a brisket today, but I think I would have enjoyed one or two of your slices better. Have a great 4th!

Offline elementswhiteplains

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
They look lovely. Hope I could make one like that one day.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
nick and EWP, thanks...I sure would like to see you guys give this a go and post a pic or 3 here.  ;D
Easy peazzy pizza to make. :chef:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »
I have one more NY style to go at a .075 TF Thursday or Friday. At that time I will pretty well know what I like with my experiments. After that, I will read this thread several more times and go with what worked best for you. Your Chi style of pies look awesome, and I think I could get hooked on them.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2013, 02:12:49 AM »
it was hot! But got the oven going and had a few beers and good pizza.  Chicago thin crust!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:52 AM »
sorry the pics are rotated. I need to figure that out.  thanks! 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
sorry the pics are rotated. I need to figure that out.  thanks!
Faaantastic pizza pics Mr. Mo....I really like your Chi-town pies cooked in the WFO; excellent top browning dude!  :drool:

Are you taking your pics with an i-phone Mo?