Author Topic: Pizzacraft PC0601 Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Oven  (Read 447 times)

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
Pizzacraft PC0601 Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Oven
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
So we're in the process of buying a house that has a gas stove (and water heater) - I haven't cooked with gas much other than on the BBQ and in the camper so I'm kind of looking forward to it.  We don't close for another couple of months but I was poking around Amazon and saw this which I thought was kind of interesting:

Pizzacraft PC0601 Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Oven

One of the reviews is a pretty good read too:

The Pizza Dilemma

We sold our previous house about three years ago and have been renting small apartments since then.  We are looking forward to having some more space but made a pact not to start buying a bunch of new stuff right away.  Not sure what I'll end up buying in the pizza department, if anything, but it's fun to look!

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pizzacraft PC0601 Pizzeria Pronto Stovetop Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:31:56 PM »
I've never seen that thing before. Looks like a paid review to me. I wouldn't trust it. In any case, the guy really doesn't know what he's talking about - for example, he thinks a pizza stone absorbs steam from the pizza and that steam in the air of an oven will make pizza soggy. Also, he says the stone gets up to 600F but the temp above is 100F less. That's a recipe for pale pizza. If the pie in the pictures in the review didn't have sauce and cheese spilled all over the cornicione, it would be pretty much white as a ghost.

I think you would have much better results with a thick pizza steel and save a bunch of money.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »
I have also been recently considering this oven. I went as far as to partly to through the checkout process on Amazon. However, 2 things stopped me from finalising the purchase. First, the photos, despite not directly showing the underside of the pie in most of them, seem to hint at the underside  being very dark or burnt while the top remains quite pale. Second, the reviews and description say that pies are done in about 6 minutes. I get very close to those times in my home oven without the broiler and with my baking  steel, at around 260c and my pizzas, to me at least, look better than the ones in the photos.

That said, i am still considering one for my girlfriends place as she does not have a proper oven...

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
That said, i am still considering one for my girlfriends place as she does not have a proper oven...

It may be a decent choice for a scenario like that. I'm curious to read your review if you decide to get it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »
It may be a decent choice for a scenario like that. I'm curious to read your review if you decide to get it.
If I do get it I will post a review for sure.

However now I'm also wondering if it would be possible to mod it by adding a stone  to the top...

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:55:48 PM »
Might not leave enough room for the pizza.

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:55:25 PM »
@TXCraig1   :-D yes, I tend to agree with you on all points, there's a lot of paid for and free sample reviews going on on Amazon these days, I don't put as much faith in the reviews as I used to, especially not the good reviews - the bad reviews I still read because most of the time you can tell which ones ring true.  I just thought the review I linked to, misinformed as it may be, was well written.  I agree on the steel too, I like the results I get on cast iron (for the most part) so I think steel would be similar.  I'd like to do pies bigger than the 14" ones I do on cast iron now.  I haven't spent a lot of time looking at steels yet but the few I've looked at are around 14" at least in one dimension so I don't see the cost/benefit over the cast iron I already have.

I still feel like I have a ways to go to improve my regular oven bakes so I doubt I will buy anything new - I'll already be changing ovens with the new house so I'll need to figure out how that one bakes before adding new equipment to the arsenal.

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »
I haven't spent a lot of time looking at steels yet but the few I've looked at are around 14" at least in one dimension so I don't see the cost/benefit over the cast iron I already have.

The reason you might want to replace the cast iron with steel is to get something thicker. I haven't seen a cast iron "stone" that is thick enough. 3/8" or better yet, 1/2" will really make a difference.

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
Well I bit the bullet.  I'm sure it'll drop in price soon enough now that I've ponied up, but hey...

I'll post back with my impressions once it arrives (I expect it will be toward the end of the month unfortunately). 

Looking at the design, I'm thinking if I cover the top vents, say with some aluminium foil on the inside, it should perhaps help reflect heat back onto the top of the pizza as well as allow the air temp inside to climb higher. 

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:30 PM »
Looking at the design, I'm thinking if I cover the top vents, say with some aluminium foil on the inside, it should perhaps help reflect heat back onto the top of the pizza as well as allow the air temp inside to climb higher.

That might actually hurt the performance. The heat you will be reflecting back will be that emitted from the top of the pizza which isn't all that hot. I think you want the top to be as hot as possible and radiate its own heat back at the pizza. To this end, hopefully the inside of the top is black/dark so it is very emissive.

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
That might actually hurt the performance. The heat you will be reflecting back will be that emitted from the top of the pizza which isn't all that hot. I think you want the top to be as hot as possible and radiate its own heat back at the pizza. To this end, hopefully the inside of the top is black/dark so it is very emissive.

Would that not only work well if the top had any significant amount of heat capacity? Currently it looks like it is only a thin piece of steel sheet.  Maybe I could put a pizza stone on  top of the oven...

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
Would that not only work well if the top had any significant amount of heat capacity? Currently it looks like it is only a thin piece of steel sheet.  Maybe I could put a pizza stone on  top of the oven...

No, it's not about heat capacity so much as the temperature. The hotter it gets the more heat it radiates, and it's a 4th order function, so the amount of thermal IR increases much faster than the temperature (in degrees K). The other question is how much heat is that thin metal bleeding off to the air outside the oven, and that's where a stone inside might help as it would somewhat act as an insulator. It would also effectivly lower the dome, so to speak, which also increases the thermal IR on the pie (a.k.a. increasing the "view factor"). From the pictures, it doesn't look like there is much room for a stone inside and still have room to launch the pizza. Another thing to try might be to insulate the dome on the outside somehow if you can find a way to do it safely.

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »
Learn something new every day :)  thanks for the explanation.   I guess the only way for me to find out is to try different configurations once I receive it!

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 09:20:09 PM »
I'm excited to see what you can do with it.

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 05:49:14 AM »
Update: I received the oven and tested it, as expected, the top heat is insufficient. I got a very nicely charred base and virtually white top (which I remedied with a blowtorch).  The pizza was very nice, very crisp crust and was done in under 6 mins (could have taken it out even earlier), a marked improvement from the pathetic toaster oven I was using before. However, now I'm looking into modifying it by lowering the roof somehow.  Good  news is that the interior is black enamel. I may also simply try raising the stone a bit first.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the post, and keep us updated.  I saw one in Sur La Table the other day, and the top look pretty thin as will, didn't look like it would store any heat.