Author Topic: Stainless Steel Ovens  (Read 690 times)

Offline Buttero John

• I Love Pizza!
Stainless Steel Ovens
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
I am wondering if anyone owns a stainless steel oven such as Fontana Forni Toscana line, Bella ovens sold by Forno Bravo or Alfa pizza ovens.  I recently purchased a Marinara model made by Fontana Forni.  I am cooking pizzas in 2 minutes with nicely cooked bottoms and crust.  Here's a video I took.  A little shaky as I was working the pizza turning peel with one hand while holding my camera with the other. 

Offline Gosseni

Re: Stainless Steel Ovens
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »
Yep. I have the Alfa Quattro Pizze.

Offline Buttero John

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 06:08:04 AM »
What are your likes and dislikes about your 4 Pizze?  Would you purchase this again if given the opportunity?

I don't think I could produce a 90 second pizza with my Fontana but 120 sec is close enough for me. 
I know many would shy away from this type of oven but imo it's a great product for a homeowner who doesn't want the longer heat up times, doesn't need the long heat retention for bread baking and values the portability of this type of oven.   

I have also spoken with a caterer who is using one and has no regrets. She mentioned that since most of her catering events last a few hours & that the shorter start up was important as well as mobility.  They added pneumatic casters to it so that it can me moved to a customer's back yard if need be.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:41:02 PM by Buttero John »

Offline Gosseni

Stainless Steel Ovens
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »
Sure.
Obviously my requirement will not be a match for most.

Pros.
Faster warmup times.
Run off my wood deck with no modification to oven or deck.
Sustains temperature that allow for 120 second bakes.
Able to produce the product that I like.
Allow for lower temperatures to prepare Bistecca al Fiorentina.
Portable.
Comparatively inexpensive.
Pretty well insulated for a refractory oven. No major flux in temperature from pizza to pizza.
Bakes even. No doming.

Cons.
Too small. Can really only bake one 12 inch pizza at a time.
I might be pushing the temperature maximums here. Will that increase wear and tear?
Not as pretty as a larger ceramic oven.
Lack of mass does require more fuel to sustain temperature.
Probably not a permanent solution. Will it break? Will I wish I built out a permanent solution once?

Overall?
Pleased with the purchase. I would buy it again under the same circumstance. I had the same misgivings that many have with metal ovens. I believe the technology is improving and so is the price of entry. All of this allowed me to improve my pizza product. Which is what it is all about. This'll not be my last oven. My requirement will change and I guess I will need to scale accordingly.
Hope that helped.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:50:14 PM by Gosseni »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
I'm confused why you refer to it as a "refractory" oven. Other than the deck, it's metal right?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Gosseni

Stainless Steel Ovens
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:48:58 PM »
Correct. That was a misstep. I had the same issues that came with perception of metal ovens. This ALFA oven is not ceramic. It is metal. Typing too fast. Corrected.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:50:31 PM by Gosseni »

Offline Buttero John

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »
Gosseni,
I have also thought about the increased wood requirement to maintain higher temps. At this point I have fired my Fontana about 5 times to cook about 10 pizzas each time. It seems I've used about 5 pieces of firewood each firing plus kindling for start up as well as kindling to increase flame when needed.

Each time there was plenty of coals left to continue cooking.  I'm guessing here but if I were to have purchased a casted oven like a Forno Bravo Primavera, I would bet it would have required as much as or more wood to cook the  same amount  of pies.  A refractory oven has more mass which requires more fuel to reach initial cooking temp.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:11:54 PM by Buttero John »

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »

Gosseni,
I have also thought about the increased wood requirement to maintain higher temps. At this point I have fired my Fontana about 5 times to cook about 10 pizzas each time. It seems I've used about 5 pieces of firewood each firing plus kindling for start up as well as kindling to increase flame when needed.

Each time there was plenty of coals left to continue cooking.  I'm guessing here but if I were to have purchased a casted oven like a Forno Bravo Primavera I would bet It requires as much as or more wood to cook the  same amount  of pies.  A refractory oven has more mass which requires more fuel to reach initial cooking temp.

Makes sense to me Buttero John.
That comparative analysis would be interesting.
All I know is I am ready to make some pizza.

Offline Buttero John

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »
That is a great looking pizza!  This is what it's all about.

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks John.
It is all cumulative. Trying to improve.
Bring on Summer!

Offline Buttero John

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 07:32:54 PM »
While on the topic, here's how one owner of a SS oven made it more portable by building a platform to go under the cart with pneumatic tires.  I'm thinking about doing the same as I've been asked to use my new learned cooking skills to bake pizzas at a private party.  Guess this is one way I can help make this oven pay for itself.

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:12 PM »
That is a great addition. The private parties will be big fun. Good luck!

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
Gosseni that's a great looking pizza. May I know what kind of cheese you use, is it Buffula? Thanks

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »

Gosseni that's a great looking pizza. May I know what kind of cheese you use, is it Buffula? Thanks

Yo Rock. Happy to assist.
Generally I would use Buffula but did not have the curd. So that is home stretched regular cows milk mozzarella.
Thanks for the compliment.
Getting better with practice.
Hmmmmm..... "Yo Adrian..... I did it!"

wordpress