Author Topic: Roccbox vs Uuni vs BakerStone  (Read 938 times)

Offline Tim182

• I Love Pizza!
Roccbox vs Uuni vs BakerStone
« on: June 08, 2016, 04:50:08 AM »
Hi all

I am looking to buy my first oven to use outdoors. I am planning on making Neapolitan style pizza (but also open to experimenting with NY style)

This far, I have looked at all of the following but am a little unsure which will be best:

- Uuni 2s
- Roccbox
- Bakerstone (to be used on a Weber Genesis 310 -  3 burners)

My budget is up to $500 although I would love to spend a little less! It seems the Uuni 2s can turn out some fantastic pies, but one has to use it right. The BakerStone is very attractive due to its size and price, but doesn't seem to yield as good results.

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions! Are there any other ovens I should perhaps consider?

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Roccbox vs Uuni vs BakerStone
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
If you have the space for a Blackstone, it is no contest.  If not, you might want to also consider the MPO   ( Mighty Pizza Oven )   

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »
A Bakerstone is not capable of making Neapolitan pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tim182

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
I guess it is between the Blackstone and the Uuni2s.

I like that the Blackstone automatically turns and uses gas. I like that the Uuni is small and portable, also a bit cheaper where I am.

Are the results in the Blackstone that much better? It seems to be wel capable of both Neapolitan and New York style which is another benefit.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
Search for recent Unni posts here, there are a few. It seems to be a lot more difficult and temperamental. Also, propane is a much more convenient fuel.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tim182

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
I guess Blackstone it is! Provided I can get permission from the better half. It's not the best looking of things to keep in your backyard :-)

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
I have a bakerstone and a blackstone not even close blackstone all the way.

Right now the best price is about $292, Amazon and others. Your best bet it to print the Amazon price page, take to Home depot and order it (they match online prices).
That way if there is anything wrong you can return it to Home Depot and not have to ship it.

I have one and bought another for my Calabrese pastor in the big Lowes sell off ( I got one for $169 and the other for $99 but you will never see that again).
I have 3 friends waiting for price drops, the best in the last year was $275. 

While you are at it buy (Amazon or other) these 3 items for a pizza oven:
1. 14 or 16 inch wide wooden peel (for launching pizza to the stone)
2. 14 inch wide steel peel for removing the pizza.
3. IR thermal gun that can read up to 1000 degrees F (mine goes to 825 but I bake at between 750 and 800).

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »
I believe OP lives in europe.

Offline Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
Since you live I the uk I would suggest another route.

Get a steel plate and use your home oven and save up for a pizza party. Or at least wait and see if roccbox finally delivers any ovens and wait for the reviews.

There has been a few blackstone ovens on Amazon in the uk but you have to mess about with regulators and adapters etc and since there has been quite a bit of repairs on blackstones I personally wouldn't buy one living outside of the us.

I personally spent a lot of money on cheaper oven options which was a total waste. Should have gone for my pizzaparty from the beginning...
Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)

Offline Tim182

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »
Since you live I the uk I would suggest another route.

Get a steel plate and use your home oven and save up for a pizza party. Or at least wait and see if roccbox finally delivers any ovens and wait for the reviews.

There has been a few blackstone ovens on Amazon in the uk but you have to mess about with regulators and adapters etc and since there has been quite a bit of repairs on blackstones I personally wouldn't buy one living outside of the us.

I personally spent a lot of money on cheaper oven options which was a total waste. Should have gone for my pizzaparty from the beginning...

I think the pizza party will be too large. I am looking for something gas powered, (wood pellets would also be fine) and semi-portable. Therefore the blackstone would fit the bill quite well. What do you have to mess with; I would have thought the gas connectors are the same in the UK and US? There are a few online sellers in the UK which stock the Blackstone for ‎300.

Offline Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:39 AM »
In that case go for the blackstone or wait until you can read reviews on the roccbox
Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)