Author Topic: Standard home oven heat up speed broiler vs bottomelement  (Read 200 times)

Offline Ovenray

• -
Standard home oven heat up speed broiler vs bottomelement
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:07:48 PM »
Since I want to get the most heat out of the oven and as fast as it is possibly able to I tested the most important configurations with a 12 inch cordierite stone from bottomlevel to top, going from broiled to conventional while each time letting the oven almost completely cool down. The testing took me 3 different sessions during 2 days but now I know, the IR thermometergun never lies, it revealed the hotspots and the temperature difference from the center of the stone to the edges in all the different corners and to what effect on every different ovenlevel.

The results are surprising and revealing and so much so I thought it was worth sharing, it shows once again how important facts are versus subjectivity as nothing beats measuring and weighing.

The oven was set to 300 C / 572 F during each session.

I started out using the conventional setting (top and down elements together) while placing the stone on the bottomlevel. It took the oven an hour to reach a mere 255 C / 491 F.

After the cooldown I only changed the setting to the broiler while all else being equal. Within 15 minutes the top of the stone was heated to 270 C / 518 F but it was still about that temperature after 30 minutes.

The next day I placed the stone on the second level from the top and again only used the broiler and thats when the magic happened.

Within 1 minute the center of the stone reached 80 C / 176 F
Within 3 minutes the center of the stone reached 160 C / 320 F
Within 12 minutes the center of the stone reached  277 C / 530.6 F
Within 14 minutes the center of the stone reached 297 C / 566.6 F and which was around the same after 30 minutes.

I would have never expected such a result as I would usually use conventional to heat up the stone which always takes about an hour or so before the thermostat light switches of. So for a few years I pretty much wasted a lot of energy while not getting the most out of it...
I'm grateful for all things learned from you folks.

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
Re: Standard home oven heat up speed broiler vs bottomelement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:11:17 AM »
Ray,

What type of 'home oven' can be set to 300 degrees c. ???

Case

Offline Ovenray

• -
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
Ray,

Case

Retro Atag ovens have that setting, I believe the oven to be atleast 45 years of age. I've got it by chance btw, a few years back I needed a temporary oven and I spotted this old beast on Marktplaats for 60 euro, got it for 30 and after cleaning and putting it in place discovered the added bonussetting of 300 C. What's funny, there's always one or more of these for sale at a time, for giveaways, just like now, check: Atag retro

I'm grateful for all things learned from you folks.

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »
It is funny that somewhere the oven industry decided that we at home don't need more then 250 degrees celsius :chef:
Thnx for the tip Ray. I do know that gas ovens usually run at a higher temp. (And humidity) then the electric versions. I did own a 1920's gas oven once but it was far from save for operation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:15:12 PM by Neopolitan »

Offline maverickcro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
Ray,

Case

actually a lott new ovens can achieve 300 C .. i have bought mine 3 months ago (BOSCH HBG675BS1). until my rocboxx arrive i am happy with results i can get... with baking steel and 50 min preheat i can bake pizza in about 3 minute