Author Topic: Problems with the variable regulator valve?  (Read 673 times)

Offline moosebytes

Problems with the variable regulator valve?
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
Anyone have issues with this regulator? For the 2nd bake in a row, we've had an issue where there has been a steady decline in both flame and temp after the first bake of the night. Tonight (19 outside air temp...half a tank of Propane), 1st bake launch was at 933 after 15 minutes (1:30  bake time). Immediately after pulling that pizza, cranked the regulator (not the psi regulator) down just a hair to try and steady the temp at around 820ish for the 2nd bake. Ate the first pie and were ready to launch the 2nd about 15 min after taking out the first. Reading was 820...perfect!!!? So turned it up full just before launch, and the flame didn't change. In fact, 5 minutes after pulling the 2nd pie (2:30 bake time), the temp of the bottom stone had dropped to 670. We turned the whole thing off for about 15 minutes, then fired it up full bore for 15 minutes. At the start, the temp was 350. Fifteen minutes down the line, 650. twenty minutes, down to 620ish. Said screw it! and shut it down for the night. Seriously. LOVE this oven, but afraid it's just not quite ready for prime time. We've already had to replace the upper casing and platter, and now this. Anyone else have similar issues?

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Problems with the variable regulator valve?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »
Sorry about your troubles,  I haven't had anything like that happen.  Sounds like the regulator is misbehaving - you have the 10 psi or the 5 psi?

Offline Dusen berry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
How cold was your propane if you blow on propane that could've been the problem is cold as it was outside I had to shake the tank around a few times in a single work fine :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Anyone have issues with this regulator? For the 2nd bake in a row, we've had an issue where there has been a steady decline in both flame and temp after the first bake of the night. Tonight (19 outside air temp...half a tank of Propane), 1st bake launch was at 933 after 15 minutes (1:30  bake time). Immediately after pulling that pizza, cranked the regulator (not the psi regulator) down just a hair to try and steady the temp at around 820ish for the 2nd bake. Ate the first pie and were ready to launch the 2nd about 15 min after taking out the first. Reading was 820...perfect!!!? So turned it up full just before launch, and the flame didn't change. In fact, 5 minutes after pulling the 2nd pie (2:30 bake time), the temp of the bottom stone had dropped to 670. We turned the whole thing off for about 15 minutes, then fired it up full bore for 15 minutes. At the start, the temp was 350. Fifteen minutes down the line, 650. twenty minutes, down to 620ish. Said screw it! and shut it down for the night. Seriously. LOVE this oven, but afraid it's just not quite ready for prime time. We've already had to replace the upper casing and platter, and now this. Anyone else have similar issues?

What do you mean by "PSI regulator?" What other regulator do you have?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
What do you mean by "PSI regulator?" What other regulator do you have?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to the red dialed regulator that attaches to the tank. The one that says "10 PSI".

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to the red dialed regulator that attaches to the tank. The one that says "10 PSI".

So, when you said, "Immediately after pulling that pizza, cranked the regulator (not the psi regulator) down," you mean you turned the tank valve down?

The tank valve doesn't regulate pressure - just volume - you get the same pressure to the regulator regardless of how far open or closed the tank valve is.  If it's not open far enough, however, there might not be enough volume of flow for the regulator to deliver the desired PSI. You might also get variations in pressure from the regulator as pressure in th tank can vary quite a bit. Generally, you should open the tank valve all the way and only use the regulator to control flow to the burner.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
So, when you said, "Immediately after pulling that pizza, cranked the regulator (not the psi regulator) down," you mean you turned the tank valve down?

The tank valve doesn't regulate pressure - just volume - you get the same pressure to the regulator regardless of how far open or closed the tank valve is.  If it's not open far enough, however, there might not be enough volume of flow for the regulator to deliver the desired PSI. You might also get variations in pressure from the regulator as pressure in th tank can vary quite a bit. Generally, you should open the tank valve all the way and only use the regulator to control flow to the burner.

We pulled the pie and turned down the "flow" regulator on the main body of the oven..just a tiny bit. Since we got this oven (August, I think), we've always kept the "volume" regulator 2/3 of the way open. The issue seems to be with the "flow" regulator: When we first fire the oven up, the "flow" regulator is always wide open.Once we crank it down a bit between bakes, it's not getting back up to speed-so to speak, when we turn it up for the next bake. We're in the middle of an ice storm here, so we can't fire it up again until maybe tomorrow. We're going to attach a full LP tank and fire it up with BOTH valves wide open, and just let it do what it's 'gonna do. We need to see if, after it reaches whatever high temp it can achieve in about 30-35 minutes , it levels off at that temp, or will it begin a slow decent downwards. If it levels off, we'll turn it down a bit for 15 or so minutes, and then turn it back up to see if we can  replicate the issue we've been having the last couple of bakes. Thanks for your input!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
On mine, I set the red regulator at 1 full turn counterclockwise short of full open, and never change that while making pizza.  The main volume control is set to about 2 1/2 on a scale of 5  ( I drew numbers across the top so I could keep track ) to warm up, and sometimes cook at that level, and sometimes turn it above that level.  I like it when the stone is around 600 - 650F  measured at the outside rim of the stone when it is directly facing the front -  I consistently get around a 2 minute pie with nice char on the bottom.  If I turn the main volume control up to a 3 or more, I find that the temp of the stone increases too much between pies.   Note that I have generally been baking in the 50's to 90's ambient temp.

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
On mine, I set the red regulator at 1 full turn counterclockwise short of full open, and never change that while making pizza.  The main volume control is set to about 2 1/2 on a scale of 5  ( I drew numbers across the top so I could keep track ) to warm up, and sometimes cook at that level, and sometimes turn it above that level.  I like it when the stone is around 600 - 650F  measured at the outside rim of the stone when it is directly facing the front -  I consistently get around a 2 minute pie with nice char on the bottom.  If I turn the main volume control up to a 3 or more, I find that the temp of the stone increases too much between pies.   Note that I have generally been baking in the 50's to 90's ambient temp.

So when we set our red regulator back about 33%, it's pretty much what you've been doing. With the size of my hand, it take 3 full turns to either open or close that valve. We've mostly been baking within a range of 800 to maybe 850. The pies have been great! Rival anything we've ever had in Italy. From last 2 bakes:(1)Clam/Garlic (2) pepperoni (3)margherita. The margherita was the 2nd pizza last night with the woeful oven temps. The pepperoni also from last night...clam & garlic from the bake prior. The Margherita from last night at diminished temp.Last pic is the Margherita in the oven.

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 11:17:46 PM »
Moosebytes,

Perhaps you are experiencing some issues with improper purging of the tank, especially if it is new.  It will tend to act somewhat erratic and not maintain consistent volume.  I have two tanks and had the same thing happen to me on my first tank.  The first tank still felt like it had considerable weight to it (not as light as an empty tank) when I started to experience the same issues as you did.  I then hooked up my second (full) tank, and it worked like normal.  I normally do not get my empty tanks filled, I usually take my empty tank and trade it in on a full one.  When doing this, One does not know if that new tank has been properly purged from the start.

Kerry
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:38:52 PM by kerrymarcy »

Offline moosebytes

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Moosebytes,

Perhaps you are experiencing some issues with improper purging of the tank, especially if it is new.  It will tend to act somewhat erratic and not maintain consistent volume.  I have two tanks and had the same thing happen to me on my first tank.  The first tank still felt like it had considerable weight to it (not as light as an empty tank) when I started to experience the same issues as you did.  I then hooked up my second (full) tank, and it worked like normal.  I normally do not get my empty tanks filled, I usually take my empty tank and trade it in on a full one.  When doing this, One does not know if that new tank has been properly purged from the start.

Kerry
A couple of nights ago we tried to replicate the problems that we were having the two bakes prior, EXCEPT that, instead of a less than full tank, we began with a full one. No issues what-so-ever. Cranked it up for the first bake and launched at 933...turned it way down between bakes (forgot to take a reading of how low the stone temp got between bakes), then cranked it back up again and had no problems getting over 900 in pretty quick order. We're going to try it again this evening with a tank that's about 2/3 full. Trying not to get to nerdy with all of the technical goods & bads with this oven as it could easily take away from enjoying the great pizza that it turns out. When all is said and done, it's a pretty fun oven if operating as it was meant to.