Author Topic: Another Blackstone Fail  (Read 842 times)

Offline ccpflaum

• I Love Pizza!
Another Blackstone Fail
« on: June 08, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
I bought this oven a little over a month ago on Amazon. It has made some amazing pizzas in the last six weeks but this evening the motor ceased to work. Blackstone assured me that the motor failure was no longer a problem - wrong. Chinese junk is Chinese junk. If anyone can point me to a high-quality replacement motor, I would be most appreciative. BTW, the platen has been 1/4" off from the get go but this didn't seem to affect the pizza but, maybe, is a reason that the low quality motor failed. I don't know.

Dinner was served an hour late as I had to use my home oven and the pizza was a major fail. The plan was for NP and, at the lower temp of the oven, the dough did not perform as it would have at a higher temp - no spring, it tasted like a cracker.   >:(

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Another Blackstone Fail
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »
Yes if the edge of the plate is resting on the lip of the oven then it will produce unneeded drag and stress on the cheap motor and maybe why it failed.  In that case, you should blame it on that.  The BS oven is made of cheap parts and labor that's how they can sell it to you for such a low price and still make a profit.  No one ever complains about the low price but are quick to complain about the low quality.  You get what you pay for right?  Just make sure you raise that plate before the new motor arrives or it might fail as well.

I had my BS oven for well over a year using it regularly without motor failure. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:54:39 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:49:35 PM »
My motor failed too not too long after purchase. Well, it would just kind of stop whenever. Not good, so it was saved for emergency back up and I got this

http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-60013-Replacement-Rotisserie-Motor/dp/B0000E2RH5/?tag=pmak-20

Knock on wood, so far it's okay. Best part is that it's reversible direction..easy to do and so helpful to have the plate go CCW, so the bake can be judged before the next approach to the flame, rather than after. o battery option but I always prefer AC power..so much more reliable.

Online carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Always trying to improve my dough.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
I can't imagine a failure when your in the field somewhere with your oven with crowds of people drooling for a slice. I need a back-up. Will this battery powered motor do?

https://www.amazon.com/OneGrill-Cordless-Rotisserie-Motor-25-Chrome/dp/B00436ULLA/?tag=pmak-20

Carl

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
Have had mine for a little over two years. The piece the power cord goes into broke this weekend.  Still works with batteries though. Looks like it is time for me to get a spare motor too.

Offline Rocky Balboa

• Mangia! Mangia!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
My oven is 2 years old and don't have any issues with the motor so far. I even turn it on and off at every launch and it hasn't quit on me yet. I must say that my platter has always been very balanced so maybe like some say an unbalanced one puts strain on the motor.

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »
I am an Electrical Engineer, and have a question.
Of those that fail how many of you keep them outdoors?

The motor may get exposed to moisture, never a good thing.

Mine almost 2 years old is kept in the garage, with a cover I use it almost every week between 3 and 6 pizzas each time.

I just did the motor bearing change about a month ago, until that time it was just using the sleeve bearing, if it were outside I could see where corrosion would increase the resistance hence burn out the motor certainly reduce it.
My pastor has had his for about a year, he also keeps it inside no issues he still uses the original bearing.

My advise to all is:
1. Almost without saying, use the cover.
2. Bring it into the garage when not in use.
3. Remove the motor, keep it in a dry place (if your garage is damp, or you have it outside ).
4. Test spin the platen without the motor before using the oven.

Optional but not a bad idea.
5. Grease the bearing  when necessary (I never did this but did clean and inspect it a few times).
6. Do the bearing MOD.

I keep the motor separate from the unit, and install it when I am about to fire up. Before doing so I spin the platen, to see how free it spins. This may help my motor life given any corrosion that may have accumulated is broken up by my spin. Therefore the inertia needed for the startup will be less strain on the motor.

With the bearing mod in place the drag is greatly reduced, I have a Weber rotisserie motor I have not tried yet as my backup.
I may have to test it out, I often have people over and it bode well for me if it did fail.

Offline ccpflaum

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:08:42 AM »
I am an Electrical Engineer, and have a question.
Of those that fail how many of you keep them outdoors?

The motor may get exposed to moisture, never a good thing.

Mine almost 2 years old is kept in the garage, with a cover I use it almost every week between 3 and 6 pizzas each time.

I just did the motor bearing change about a month ago, until that time it was just using the sleeve bearing, if it were outside I could see where corrosion would increase the resistance hence burn out the motor certainly reduce it.
My pastor has had his for about a year, he also keeps it inside no issues he still uses the original bearing.

My advise to all is:
1. Almost without saying, use the cover.
2. Bring it into the garage when not in use.
3. Remove the motor, keep it in a dry place (if your garage is damp, or you have it outside ).
4. Test spin the platen without the motor before using the oven.

Optional but not a bad idea.
5. Grease the bearing  when necessary (I never did this but did clean and inspect it a few times).
6. Do the bearing MOD.

I keep the motor separate from the unit, and install it when I am about to fire up. Before doing so I spin the platen, to see how free it spins. This may help my motor life given any corrosion that may have accumulated is broken up by my spin. Therefore the inertia needed for the startup will be less strain on the motor.

With the bearing mod in place the drag is greatly reduced, I have a Weber rotisserie motor I have not tried yet as my backup.
I may have to test it out, I often have people over and it bode well for me if it did fail.

The new units have the bearing mod, according to Blackstone, so that is not a problem.

Offline ccpflaum

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Another Blackstone Fail - it was the gears
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:04 PM »
I took another look at the motor today. I could hear the motor but the shaft was not turning. I took apart the motor case and discovered that a set of gears was not meshing. Fixed that with a screwdriver and the shaft turned again. Connected it to the platen and it operated a few seconds and then failed again. The platen spins freely and is not binding. I think the problem is in the cheap plastic gears in the motor. Anyway, I have ordered a new motor from Amazon and it should be here in a few days. I have still not received a reply from Blackstone to the email that I sent three days ago. Clearly, BS has a customer service problem.

Offline ccpflaum

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »
I can't imagine a failure when your in the field somewhere with your oven with crowds of people drooling for a slice. I need a back-up. Will this battery powered motor do?

https://www.amazon.com/OneGrill-Cordless-Rotisserie-Motor-25-Chrome/dp/B00436ULLA/?tag=pmak-20

I did some research and that motor will work well.

Online carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
Tks for checking. I found out today it's battery operated only.
Carl

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
Tks for checking. I found out today it's battery operated only.
Thanks Carl, I ordered one just to have a backup handy.
Hans

Offline ccpflaum

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
Carl: I got mine from Amazon yesterday. It is battery and transformer operated. The power unit from the Blackstone worked with it.

Offline ccpflaum

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone Fail - I think that I figured it out
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
I think that I found what caused the motor to fail. The shaft from the platen to the drive has a bolt through the shaft just above where it rests on the bottom of the oven. On each side of the bolt there is a roller. The roller on the opposite side of the head of the bolt is secured with a light metal clip. The clip on my oven came undone and the roller slid off causing the load to be unbalanced. I repaired this and now the platen turns more smoothly and is closer to level (though not perfect).  ;D I will try and find a nut to replace the clip. It also appears that these rollers should be oiled periodically. Any suggestions regarding a grease that will tolerate the high heat?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:41:41 PM by ccpflaum »

Online carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »
Carl: I got mine from Amazon yesterday. It is battery and transformer operated. The power unit from the Blackstone worked with it.
I was just going to report that the seller contacted me to say that there was another model available with the transformer. I had wondered if the BS transformer had the same tip and the tip polarity to run this motor. Tks for confirming this.

Carl

wordpress