Author Topic: Source for Mozzarella Curd  (Read 16553 times)

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Source for Mozzarella Curd
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »
I enjoy making mozzarella at home using store-bought curd. Using the curd is a very simple way to enjoy the great taste/texture of freshly made mozzarella without having to start with fresh milk, etc...

When I lived in New York, the local Italian market would sell me the curd that they used for about $5.00 a pound. Now that I live in Washington DC, I cannot find a store that will sell me the curd. First, it appears that most "gourmet markets" here actually buy their mozzarella from suppliers, and what passes as "fresh" is at least several days old (not to be a mozzeralla snob, but the local Italian markets around NYC often make their mozzarella several times a day, and if you time it right, you can stil get it warm---it is out of this world).  Second, even the very few stores that use curd give me a really strange look when I ask to buy some.

SO, I am wondering if anyone knows of a wholesale source of good quality mozzeralla curd, either over the internet, in DC or in the Boston area, where I travel to a good deal.

Thanks in advance. If anyone who enjoys mozzarella has a chance to make it themselves with the curd, I really recommend it. When I make it for a party or gathering, everyone loves to watch it being made, and the kids have a great time trying it themselved.

Thanks, best regards and a happy new year to all.

Jim

Anyw

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Source for Mozzarella Curd
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »
Gee, I don't know where you'd buy the curd.  Have you tried making it yourself?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »
I know Grande is my favorite fresh mozzarella and that company does sell the curd seperately.  You might want to try Salumeria Italiana in boston and see if they will do a special order for you.  They don't have the curd in the store, but I know they carry the grande fresh mozzarella.  They also ship.

www.salumeriaitaliana.com

Offline pizzaqueen

• I Love to Ship to Pizza Makers!!!!
    • Pennsylvania Macaroni Co.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »
Hello,
I am going to put mozzarella curd on our website for all my pizzamaking customers..
Thank You, Rose
Pizza Queen Jr.

Offline ilpizzaiolo

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:16:51 AM »
penn mac is a good source for curd... i believe you can get the grande curd there 412 471 8330... also, since you are in d.c. area, try this place... they are a distributer of high quality products that sells to restaurants, but i am sure you could go there and pick up curd.... International Gourmet - DC, Charlotte, Atalanta 703-569-4520

hope this helps.

- ron

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 08:16:55 AM »
Thanks PizzaQueen (i.e., Rose of PennMac) and Ron for the info. I will check out both sources, and Rose, you can expect a call from me! Thanks again.

Jim

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
Some time ago, when I was looking for a source of Caputo Pizzeria flour, I called International Gourmet only to be told that they did not sell to individuals. I was told that I could work through one of their local accounts in their service area, but being in Texas, which was not in their service area, that was not an option.

I called again today, and spoke with a customer service rep who told me that their policy has not changed. They do not sell to individuals, even if they show up at one of their facilities with cash in hand. However, I was told that they will help identify accounts through whom an individual might work to gain access to International Gourmet's product offerings. IG has expanded since I last spoke with them and they now operate in DC, Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and a few other states.

I was able to confirm that IG carries the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and the mozzarella curd. I did not inquire, but it is likely that they carry other pizza ingredients also.

Peter

Offline optionmaestro

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »
I suggest trying Fresh Mozzarella making it fresh from the Mozzarella curd. I buy mine from a mozzarella manufacturer named Golden Age Cheese. There website is goldenagecheese.com and you can purchase it directly from them online!

Offline pizzaqueen

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »
pennmac.com
Good News!
Reducing price of Mozzarella Curd!!!!!
I am lowering our mozz curd Wednesday 3/11/09
1-4# 4.49lb
5-9# 4.39lb
10-20# 4.19lb
21+# 3.89lb
Thank you, PizzaQueen
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:31:03 PM by pizzaqueen »
Pizza Queen Jr.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 08:22:39 AM »
Does anyone have a good site for instruction on making the mozz. from the curd?

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
East Coast blend mozzarella
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
Does anyone have a source online for the Grande East Coast Blend diced instead of shredded?

Thanks

Offline pizzaqueen

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
Pennmac.com has a recipe for making Mozz on their Recipe page.
Rose
Pizza Queen Jr.

Offline bellagirl

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:51:18 PM »
A good site to purchase mozzarella curd is Golden Age Cheese. They ship fast fresh and always arrives cold! Their site is http://www.goldenagecheese.com and you can buy Mozzarella curd directly at: http://www.goldenagecheese.com/mozzarella.htm and they also have step by step instructions on how to stretch it at: http://www.goldenagecheese.com/mozzarellastretching.htm

Offline grossr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
I think this is worth reviving. 

Just got a shipment from DiBruno in Philly.  I had a source in NJ, Italian deli that closed.  Polly O Gold is what is mostly used in NJ.  DiBruno uses the Grande version and I will be stretching the mozzarella Saturday evening.

Anyone found a good source in the NJ area for less than 6.50lb.  I can get it from a Italian deli for 7.49 lb salted and ready to go, so 6.50 is not a fantastic deal for 10lb.

I have an email to PennMac to see what the 21lb brick costs of Grande, that is if I like.

PS Pizza in Napoli is great, but you gotta love the burt part.