Author Topic: Is this truly a New York pizza sauce recipe?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline redox

Is this truly a New York pizza sauce recipe?
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »
Years ago I got the following recipe from a site selling pizza pans and other related items. The site might've been pizzaware.com but I'm not really sure.
I was just curious if it met the criteria for a real NY pizza sauce because I'm not really sure what those are. It does make a mighty tasty sauce, though.

Jack's Mama Mia Pizza Sauce
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Some defunct pizza site. Maybe pizzaware.com
Serving Size: 1

Ingredients:

1 can tomato paste
3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder
1/16 teaspoon onion powder
1/16 teaspoon msg, optional

Directions:

Measure dry ingredients into a small container, mix together well, and set
aside. In a medium sized saucepan, combine tomato paste with water over
medium heat until it has a uniform consistency. When it begins to bubble,
add pre-measured spices and reduce heat to medium-low.

Allow to simmer, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes until it reaches desired
thickness. Stir occasionally.

Cover and cool to room temperature.

Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed, (up to 4 weeks).

Makes about 1 1/8 cups.

Offline tombiasi

Re: Is this truly a New York pizza sauce recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
Hi,
I am one who does not cook the sauce. Most pizza shops that I know do not cook the sauce. The recipe looks OK except there is no olive oil and the spices and sugar should be a little more. IMHO
To answer your question, I am not an expert, but to me that's not a NY recipe.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »
I don't cook my sauce either. You might check out this thread for more on that, praticularly some of Tom Lehmann's coments at the very end: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.0.html

If the cooking part of that recipe is simply to get it to the desired consistency, you could get to the same place without cooking by simply adding the water a little bit at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
I can't comment on the authenticity, but further cooking of tomato paste?
They got the tomato concentrated down into a paste by heating and removing a good deal of the water, so I would be hard pressed to see anything good happening flavor wise by again heating the sauce, prior to application, and then finally putting it on a pizza where it will again be cooked. Seems like a lot of cooking to me. Most N.Y. style sauce recipes/formulas that I've seen use either crushed tomato or San Marzano tomatoes that have been torn apart for use as part of the sauce, some with the other part sometimes consisting of a much lesser amount of tomato paste used for thickening the otherwise thin sauce. I don't percook mine either as it will get all the cooking it needs on the pizza, and I always like to include a small amount of olive oil to give added dimension to the flavor profile.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I think I made the mistake of thinking this was going to be easy. Who knew that eating pizza won't make you an expert? I've got a lot to learn but with all the helpful people around here it should aid my learning curve.

I can't comment on the authenticity, but further cooking of tomato paste?
They got the tomato concentrated down into a paste by heating and removing a good deal of the water, so I would be hard pressed to see anything good happening flavor wise by again heating the sauce
That's so obvious now that you've mentioned it, I'm embarrassed by my own denseness. I'll go sit in the corner with a pointy hat.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
That's so obvious now that you've mentioned it, I'm embarrassed by my own denseness. I'll go sit in the corner with a pointy hat.

redox,

You shouldn't feel too embarrassed and you can set the dunce hat aside. Even Stanislaus, which makes some of the finest canned tomato products anywhere, has a paste product: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Full-Red-Tomato-Paste.pdf. It is somewhat a stepchild product that I suspect that they would rather not produce, and they don't mention it often, but they wouldn't carry it if there was not a demand for it. I should add, however, that the Stanislaus paste product is not made from concentrate and is subjected to less processing than competitive products, as noted at http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/not-from-concentrate/process_comparison and at http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/not-from-concentrate/consequences_of_rmfg.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I think I made the mistake of thinking this was going to be easy. Who knew that eating pizza won't make you an expert? I've got a lot to learn but with all the helpful people around here it should aid my learning curve.

redox,

Never feel you shouldn't ask questions.  I am here on the forum almost 4 years and am still learning.  I also still ask questions all the time.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »
We have a saying here at AIB International: The only bad question is the question that goes unasked. I like to tell my students that while it took me 45+ years to gain my knowledge of pizza, by asking the right questions you can gain that knowledge in just a few minutes. I think I can speak for everyone here in saying that this also applies to everyone here too. Questions = the shortest route to knowledge and understanding.

pizzapan