Author Topic: An observation: Neo-politan vs Neapolitan  (Read 7920 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: An observation: Neo-politan vs Neapolitan
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
No more than 7 dollars. How they keep it at that price is beyond me....how they maintain the quality and do so is even more impressive.

How much is a Margherita at DM?

If someone asked me what I thought the average price for a Margherita is at a decent NP place here is the States, off the top of my head, I'd say $12-13.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
No more than 7 dollars. How they keep it at that price is beyond me....how they maintain the quality and do so is even more impressive.

I believe their proximity to the ingredients and the pricing dictated by the market in Naples is what's driving their prices much lower than the US.  They opened in Japan and they sell their pies for 1,450 yen or about $16.  The doppio mozzarella is $18. 

Offline La Sera

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
It does cost that in Tokyo, but the cost of living makes it feel much less than the exchange rate amount. I guess the old Big Mac analogy works here: that cost in Tokyo is equal to the cost of two medium Big Mac sets in Tokyo.

Another comparison is that it's 2/3rds the price of a 10" pizza delivered by any national chain.

So, it's pretty cheap.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »
As someone in the business of trying to sell high quality pizza against large chain store "food" resembling something almost pizza-like, I can tell you that it's a hard road.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to sell Ferrari's and Armani suits to farmers. If you grew up eating Pizza Hut or Domino's, you think that Pizza Hut is pizza.

It's a small niche of people who understand and appreciate Neapolitan pizza outside of Italy.

I bet I could give away pizza and 90% of people would still pay an outrageous amount for the crap shoveled on loaf bread with ketchup on it that passes for pizza here. I wouldn't put a dent in their market share.

The power the national brands with TV advertising have over the masses is phenomenal.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »
Neapolitan pizza made with in house mozzarella and local tomatoes would have minimal cost no matter where you made it, your fuel and flour would be the largest expense.  To me, the spirit of Neapolitan pizza is not using imported Italian ingredients that counts, it is the freshness and localness of the ingredients used, as well as the simplicity.

Here in Texas, that is not going to mean week old buffalo cheese that has 10,000 airline miles and canned tomatoes, it will be fresh mozzarella pulled daily, local Rockwell tomatoes prepared well, and a hot fire. 

Offline David Deas

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »
Neapolitan pizza made with in house mozzarella and local tomatoes would have minimal cost no matter where you made it, your fuel and flour would be the largest expense.  To me, the spirit of Neapolitan pizza is not using imported Italian ingredients that counts, it is the freshness and localness of the ingredients used, as well as the simplicity.

Excellent point.  I like it.

Offline David Deas

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »
I'm not suggesting anyone tell the customers "This is what it's supposed to be and you should like it like this".  I'm suggesting explaining to the customers what will be on their plate and why it is that way before it get's to them.  Take away the shock.

Waitress: "Have you been here before?"
Customer: "No."
Waitress: " Let me tell you a bit about our pizza then.  Our pizza is traditional Neapolitan Pizza.  It's cooked hot and fast in a wood burning oven, and because of that it might be a bit different then you are used to even from other pizzerias advertising Neapolitan pizza.  It's going to be very thin, soft, pliable, lightly topped and maybe a bit wetter then you are used to.  Traditionally it's made this way on purpose for lots of reasons from being easy to fold for mobile eating to ease of digestibility.  We make it that way because we think it tastes great, hopefully you do too."

All of this is in the goal of hoping the pizza get's a fair chance.  Put a 60 second pizza in front of somebody expecting a hot and ready and their mind will me made up before they ever taste it.  I'm also not pulling this out of thin air.  This is very similar to how I introduce people to Neapolitan pizza in my own home. 

Nice post.

Offline David Deas

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
I am absolutely starving and I would eat 99% of any of that food shown in the STG yelp pics. Its surprising to hear that a pie with such a high degree of visual appeal (leoparding, charring, high quality ingredients) could taste as bad as David says it does.

Anyway, I am STARVING, if anyone cares.

That place is not strictly a pizzeria.  They do a lot of other foods.  Generally speaking, don't order pizza from a place that isn't strictly a pizzeria.  That goes for STG just as much as it does for the Olive Garden.

There *was* once an exception; Double Zero Napoletana when they first opened here in Atlanta.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 07:27:43 PM »
I live in Brazil so its hard to compare to Neapolitan in the US, but i was in Naples in May/June 2012 for 7 days, i had pizza in 5 or 6 places and they all where different, but basically i noticed the difference in dough hydration and sauce quantity, these 2 differences made "all the difference" because it made the dough wetter or dryer and crispier, but they all used flour+water+salt+yeast dough and canned tomatoes.
[/quo

te]

is there a lesson here??     

Offline peytonssmith

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
In Durham,NC. people go ga-ga over "NP" pizza cooked in a 600 degree WFO oven. Makes me  ::)....used to make me wanna smack somebody but I am recently the kinder more....Bob.  :o

Chicago Bob, you talking about Pizzeria Toro????

Offline peytonssmith

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
For me the ideal would incorporate a few things.  First VPN would be thrown out the window.  My personal opinion is that VPN is more of a minimum requirement then a goal.  I would personally never market a product on the sole fact that I meet a minimum requirement. 

After that I would like to see REAL Neapolitan pizzerias educating their customers on their product.  I don't care how they do, just so people know not only what to expect, but why.  Serving the average american a sparsely topped wet floppy pizza with no warning is going to be a recipe for failure.  Explaining that it is supposed to be that way and why it historically developed that way before the pie is in front of them takes the shock away and gives them a better chance to experience the pizza for what it is, not what it isn't.  In that situation some will love it, some will hate it, and some will be indifferent.  Like pretty much any product.  In that situation the good will thrive, the poor will die, and the mediocre will scrape by, just like any product.

I disagree.  I live in a pizza backwater, where the best offering is poor NY imitation.  Been selling best version of napoletana I can make  from an oven mounted trailer for 3 years, and I can count on one hand the number of clients/guests/customers who thought it was burned, or not enough cheese, etc.  My founding belief was/is that, despite the totally f'ed palate of too many Americans, that everyone knows when something is better than another thing; even if that something is brand new to them.  Successful places that sell bad pizza places don't have to explain to their customers what their intent is... 

Offline peytonssmith

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »

Here's how they do it.  I could sell a good margherita, using premium ingredients to other pizzerias, and still end up with a food cost well below the industry norm of 30-33%.  Modern Neapolitan in USA goes for $12-14 because the market for Mellow Mushroom bears a similar price point.  In fact, good NP, just as anything better than another thing, should cost more due to premium quality (AM takes this as far as it will go, but he does so in large markets with more potential customers).  That market was established well before NP began to gain traction here.  Not so in Naples.  For that matter, you can't separate the proliferation of NP places from the fact that, even using relatively expensive ingredients, pizza realizes lowest COGS in industry.  Most of new NP is driven by profit incentive, not passion.  Isn't that obvious?

I'm not suggesting anyone tell the customers "This is what it's supposed to be and you should like it like this".  I'm suggesting explaining to the customers what will be on their plate and why it is that way before it get's to them.  Take away the shock.

Waitress: "Have you been here before?"
Customer: "No."
Waitress: " Let me tell you a bit about our pizza then.  Our pizza is traditional Neapolitan Pizza.  It's cooked hot and fast in a wood burning oven, and because of that it might be a bit different then you are used to even from other pizzerias advertising Neapolitan pizza.  It's going to be very thin, soft, pliable, lightly topped and maybe a bit wetter then you are used to.  Traditionally it's made this way on purpose for lots of reasons from being easy to fold for mobile eating to ease of digestibility.  We make it that way because we think it tastes great, hopefully you do too."

All of this is in the goal of hoping the pizza get's a fair chance.  Put a 60 second pizza in front of somebody expecting a hot and ready and their mind will me made up before they ever taste it.  I'm also not pulling this out of thin air.  This is very similar to how I introduce people to Neapolitan pizza in my own home.

Huh?  The best pizza, bbq, pie, etc. I've ever had didn't have to tell me it was different.  I just knew when I ate it; the fact that it was better than my previous "best I ever had" meant it was necessarily different.  I would be skeptical of a server explaining to me the differentiating qualities of their pizza versus her presumption of what I was used to, which would be clear to me the moment I took a bite; as if she was apologizing in advance based on the whack assumption that I wouldn't like it.  Well if that's your paradigm, don't sell pizza.  That's dumb.  Same way with BS, meaningless descriptors like luxury, custom, and with pizza--artisanal and gourmet.  BS words meant to sell the idea of a thing rather than the thing itself.  The product does all the talking. 

I wonder if a place like Da Michele would fly in the states. Just a few types pies well crafted and not overpriced....casual eats. In dollars, Da Michele is about half the price of any other "neapolitan" pizzeria here in the states.

Totale tried to make a go of it but didn't last.

This place does just fine.  http://www.800degreespizza.com/

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
I've read through your 6 posts(2 of which are directed to me) and your bio, and you seem to be all over the place which is making it hard to get a read on where you are coming from.

You bio states your favorite style and "Napoletana" and your favorite pizzeria is Pepe's.  I know Pepe's uses the term Napoletana in their name, but it bears little resemblance to Neapolitan pizza.

You then state you have been selling Neapolitan pizza for three years, but in another board you ask very basic questions about pizza cooked in a 550F oven with bread flour.   

So, if the pizza you are selling is similar to Pepe's and cooked in a 550F oven, then your experiences are exactly what I would expect.

Am I missing something?

Here's how they do it.  I could sell a good margherita, using premium ingredients to other pizzerias, and still end up with a food cost well below the industry norm of 30-33%.  Modern Neapolitan in USA goes for $12-14 because the market for Mellow Mushroom bears a similar price point.  In fact, good NP, just as anything better than another thing, should cost more due to premium quality (AM takes this as far as it will go, but he does so in large markets with more potential customers).  That market was established well before NP began to gain traction here.  Not so in Naples.  For that matter, you can't separate the proliferation of NP places from the fact that, even using relatively expensive ingredients, pizza realizes lowest COGS in industry.  Most of new NP is driven by profit incentive, not passion.  Isn't that obvious?

Huh?  The best pizza, bbq, pie, etc. I've ever had didn't have to tell me it was different.  I just knew when I ate it; the fact that it was better than my previous "best I ever had" meant it was necessarily different.  I would be skeptical of a server explaining to me the differentiating qualities of their pizza versus her presumption of what I was used to, which would be clear to me the moment I took a bite; as if she was apologizing in advance based on the whack assumption that I wouldn't like it.  Well if that's your paradigm, don't sell pizza.  That's dumb.  Same way with BS, meaningless descriptors like luxury, custom, and with pizza--artisanal and gourmet.  BS words meant to sell the idea of a thing rather than the thing itself.  The product does all the talking. 

This place does just fine.  http://www.800degreespizza.com/
-Jeff

Offline peytonssmith

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 01:14:06 AM »
I've read through your 6 posts(2 of which are directed to me) and your bio, and you seem to be all over the place which is making it hard to get a read on where you are coming from.

You bio states your favorite style and "Napoletana" and your favorite pizzeria is Pepe's.  I know Pepe's uses the term Napoletana in their name, but it bears little resemblance to Neapolitan pizza.

You then state you have been selling Neapolitan pizza for three years, but in another board you ask very basic questions about pizza cooked in a 550F oven with bread flour.   

So, if the pizza you are selling is similar to Pepe's and cooked in a 550F oven, then your experiences are exactly what I would expect.

Am I missing something?

Sure, you are missing quite a bit. 

Yes, my preference is for NP.  FWIW, my favorite NP places are Keste and Paulie Gee's.  A Mano was very good when I was there visiting RC in 2007 when he was anonymous.  I liked Motorino, but my recollection of it was that its cornicione wasn't as light and delicate as I prefer, though the flavors were spot on.  When I had UPN before he sold to MP, the pizza I had was very good, light and delicate irrespective of his much discussed method.  I thought Bianco was damn good, especially the Wiseguy--though not NP as far as I'm concerned.  Pizzicletta was very good, and a cool space.  And yes, Pepe's is my favorite pizzeria--not my favorite pizza;  2 vastly different things that are not mutually exclusive.  Why would you assume I cook in a 550 degree oven?  Because of a 6 year old post?  If you paid attention to my 6 post history, it should stand out that my first 3 posts were from 6 years ago.  Did it occur to you that maybe my POV and frame of reference has changed during those 6 years, given my remarks? 

I could be wrong--that's the problem with text as a medium, but I sense you are sensitive to my comments.  You made a speculative comment about what people who sell NP should do, so I thought my POV as someone who actually does sell NP--as close as I can replicate--to people was valid, maybe even desired.  Despite your assertion that your thoughts aren't outta thin air, there is nothing similar about the social contract of feeding your friends at home and the business contract of selling food to people.  I didn't disparage you, I simply stated my perspective, based on actually selling pizza to people.  Your statement that 2 of my posts were "directed" at you, rather than seeing them as the "replies"--and part of a larger conversation--that they are, indicates that you feel I somehow challenged you.  If I'm right, I would caution all on this board that such hyper sensitivity is the reason people lurk in these forums but don't engage.  Why would you participate in a forum if you can't deal with someone expressing a different opinion than yours?  Your assumptions and "am I missing something", along with educating me on FP's lack of real NP credentials smack of elitism, and are indicative of someone trying to protect their pizza-insider turf.  Is my silly name dropping above enough to get me into the club, or do I just have to say "Manhattan Clam Chowder?" 

I simply disagree with your POV about having to educate people about NP, and I don't agree with the idea that you have to qualify it in order to get people to accept it.  No one educated them about fake NP, or imitation NY style, or grilled pizza, or Detroit or St. Louis style, but people still determined on their own whether they like it or not.  If someone makes good NP, people will respond to it positively--same for good NY style, or any other style/method/type of pizza.  New stuff comes around all the time.  Consumers are accustomed to this, they know how to handle it.  No one educated people about the Beatles; they were previously anonymous, and novel.  They just showed up and people apparently went ape %$#.   

I could easily be wrong about the sensitivity I perceive.  I hope I am.  Regardless, a simple "Hey man welcome to the forum, tell us about your experience" may be a better tact.  If you want to be inclusive, that is. 

Offline CJ

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

Yes, my preference is for NP.  FWIW, my favorite NP places are Keste and Paulie Gee's.  A Mano was very good when I was there visiting RC in 2007 when he was anonymous.  I liked Motorino, but my recollection of it was that its cornicione wasn't as light and delicate as I prefer, though the flavors were spot on.  When I had UPN before he sold to MP, the pizza I had was very good, light and delicate irrespective of his much discussed method.  I thought Bianco was damn good, especially the Wiseguy--though not NP as far as I'm concerned.  Pizzicletta was very good, and a cool space.  And yes, Pepe's is my favorite pizzeria--not my favorite pizza;  2 vastly different things that are not mutually exclusive.  Why would you assume I cook in a 550 degree oven?  Because of a 6 year old post?  If you paid attention to my 6 post history, it should stand out that my first 3 posts were from 6 years ago.  Did it occur to you that maybe my POV and frame of reference has changed during those 6 years, given my remarks? 

I could be wrong--that's the problem with text as a medium, but I sense you are sensitive to my comments.  You made a speculative comment about what people who sell NP should do, so I thought my POV as someone who actually does sell NP--as close as I can replicate--to people was valid, maybe even desired.  Despite your assertion that your thoughts aren't outta thin air, there is nothing similar about the social contract of feeding your friends at home and the business contract of selling food to people.  I didn't disparage you, I simply stated my perspective, based on actually selling pizza to people.  Your statement that 2 of my posts were "directed" at you, rather than seeing them as the "replies"--and part of a larger conversation--that they are, indicates that you feel I somehow challenged you.  If I'm right, I would caution all on this board that such hyper sensitivity is the reason people lurk in these forums but don't engage.  Why would you participate in a forum if you can't deal with someone expressing a different opinion than yours?  Your assumptions and "am I missing something", along with educating me on FP's lack of real NP credentials smack of elitism, and are indicative of someone trying to protect their pizza-insider turf.  Is my silly name dropping above enough to get me into the club, or do I just have to say "Manhattan Clam Chowder?" 

I simply disagree with your POV about having to educate people about NP, and I don't agree with the idea that you have to qualify it in order to get people to accept it.  No one educated them about fake NP, or imitation NY style, or grilled pizza, or Detroit or St. Louis style, but people still determined on their own whether they like it or not.  If someone makes good NP, people will respond to it positively--same for good NY style, or any other style/method/type of pizza.  New stuff comes around all the time.  Consumers are accustomed to this, they know how to handle it.  No one educated people about the Beatles; they were previously anonymous, and novel.  They just showed up and people apparently went ape %$#.   

I could easily be wrong about the sensitivity I perceive.  I hope I am.  Regardless, a simple "Hey man welcome to the forum, tell us about your experience" may be a better tact.  If you want to be inclusive, that is.

Man there is a lot of good stuff in this post. Words without expression from the body or the tip of a beer or glass of wine are sometimes imposable to understand. Some like Omid and Craig are so very good at presenting a good picture for me to see, cause that's how I communicate best, hands on. Yet to experience what is here I have to come. I have no choice. I have to type. I hate typing. I'm no good at it. Yet come to my house this weekend and I will show you how to ranch kill Berkshire pigs and make fresh sausage for your pie. Craig is so right about the amount of us out here, so few with a passion and it is so cool. Keep this in mind when you read the words we hand each other. yea there are ass holes out here but most of us pizza guys and girls are good people lovers that's why we do it, we love to serve people our food and they love it.
I have a gun to load, knife to sharpen and oven to heat.
Time to turn corn eaters into Bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »

I think Jeff's suggestion is a real fine one....but before going into the story/details about "what NP pizza is" the waitperson just needs to first ask the table "do you all know what NP pizza is like?"....but that statement is probably a given wouldn't you think CJ?  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:37 AM »
Like 6 years.  Makes a lot more sense now. 

I really don't think what I'm saying is that far out there.   Give a life long Bud light drinker an Belgian Sour Ale.  Give somebody who drinks Boones Farm a bottle of dry red table wine.  Give the typical american a Neapolitan pizza.  I think all three lead to similar results.  The new product is too far a deviation from their expected norm.  The new product is therefore defective.  I know it's the same with the people I associate with because I live it, lol.  Show the typical middle class blue collar Detroiter a Neapolitan pizza and you will hear "It's too small", "it's too thin", "it's burnt", "where's the cheese" and my personal favorite "it's thin so it must be crispy".  Show them the price of one and they will say "I can get 3 hot and ready's for that and eat for a week".

Pizza is so ingrained in us there is a prototype that is expected.  We expect a blanket of bubbling cheese over the entire surface.  We expect a golden brown finish.  We expect slices of some form that we can pick up and eat with our hands.  Neapolitan pizza is none of these things.  Going in blind a person may judge it for what it is and really enjoy it without any education.  My point is many people don't go in blind.  They go in AFTER having experienced non-neapolitan pizzas that are being called neapolitan....pizzas that are eaten in slices and aren't "burnt".  Because it conforms to their prototype this is correct to them, and when they come across the real deal IT is defective because it does not conform AND it is not like the other "Neapolitan" pizza that does conform.  This isn't purely speculation.  I've watched it play out locally as I've already mentioned.       
-Jeff

Offline CJ

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2013, 02:24:08 AM »
Bob, yes I am ready for the fight. Bring it on. My only point is...... Don't leave or I have no one to slay with my sword. A fight alone and I might as well ask my wife about Pizza. For the record I bake it hot in a mobile oven. but to tell you the truth I say it falls short cause the weight of the right oven is hard to carry down the road. Do I do a good job? yea I think so but it takes a lot to get to a Craig and Omid pie if you are moving. funny thing is, a lot of Pizza people want to get into this program going mobile. That is the worst f...ing thing you could do. It is hard beyond words to do this %$# in your house let alone pull it down the road. %$# I ripped the clean knob of my oven 4 years ago, until I met all of you I thought I was the only crazy person out here. The thing is, we know it can be done right, or better, or righter, or my way, or what? The way it is done in ? Where? Yea.... I know, we know, you know. Does ice cream need to be explained to a 3rd grader? No need to explain what we are trying to do. My explanation just called me back to do another wedding pizza night for the second time, I love it and still want to get better and go see Pizzicletta in flagstaff and work my way to Craigs one day. This journey is bitchen and if you are here, you must love it. Lets rock and I got 50lbs of GM OO coming my way, I cant wait. I want USA flour to rock the Neo world.
Where is my gun? I need to go shoot something. try that in Naples. Yea.

Offline CJ

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »
Oh yea, Sorry I went off the deep end.  Ahh   No I do not want any wait staff explaining my Pizza. Come to the oven and I will explain it to you.
Where in the hell is my shot gun?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
Oh yea, Sorry I went off the deep end.  Ahh   No I do not want any wait staff explaining my Pizza. Come to the oven and I will explain it to you.
Where in the hell is my shot gun?
CJ,
Please remember that alcohol and firearms do not mix.  8)
Have fun mixing your Born in the U.S.A. 00 flour...you seem to be a pretty fun case...oh, and welcome to the forum friend!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"