Author Topic: Anyone know the Caputo rep?  (Read 5700 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Re: Anyone know the Caputo rep?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »
Ok, I just bought (5) 2.2lbs bags
from here
http://fornobravo.com/store/product.php?productid=16133&cat=23&page=1

I almost crapped my pants thinking I just spent a lot of dough on dough that wasn't the right dough!
But luckly I think this is the right 00 flour, just not sure if the price was right.

I will be egar to compare KA Bread Flour vs KASL  vs Caputo 00 pizza flour soon.

Also, Perk, not to alarm you but if you compare the picture in your link with this one:
http://www.molinocaputo.it/eng/confezioni.htm
You'll see that your bag is identical to the small bag of Confezioni.

---Guy

Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »
Perk,

I am pretty certain that the Caputo 00 flour you bought from FornoBravo is what is called Extra Blue, and not the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour that most of the members on the forum use. The Extra flour can be used for making pizza dough, but as pizzanapoletana has mentioned, it is "studied" for home baking (e.g., bread). Since this subject came up again recently on the forum, you can do a search if you'd like to see how the Blue can be used. Some of our members who have also bought and are using the Extra may also be able to share their experiences with you.

Peter

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:24:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 12:33:01 PM »
Ok, I just bought (5) 2.2lbs bags
from here
http://fornobravo.com/store/product.php?productid=16133&cat=23&page=1

I almost crapped my pants thinking I just spent a lot of dough on dough that wasn't the right dough!
But luckly I think this is the right 00 flour, just not sure if the price was right.

I will be egar to compare KA Bread Flour vs KASL vs Caputo 00 pizza flour soon.

FWIW, The Caputo flour pictured on the Forno Bravo is indeed Extra Blue.  I have purchased this flour from them, and used t with great results, but, it is not the Caputo Pizzeria flour, which always say "Pizzeria" on the bottom of the bag and is not sold in 1KG bags from Caputo.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »
Thanks for letting me know!
I called  Forno Bravo phone number and left them a message to say if it wasn't the "Pizzeria" Caputo 00 flour to cancel the order.

I really believe, this pizza flour market goes out of it's way to guide the home pizza maker down the wrong path.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »
Ok I just got an email from James
and everyone here is correct.  It is not the same as the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour  :'(

James wrote me:
Caputo Tipo 00 Blue is very similar to Pizzeria -- less than 1% lower 
in gluten than Pizzeria. Given that the gluten range of Caputo 
Pizzeria isn't published and has an almost 1% range, the two are very 
similar. Few could tell the difference. That is my experience and it 
is how Antimo Caputo explained it to me, and asked me to explain to 
customers.

So for now I cancelled my small order but will order 55# bag soon because I really like to try the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 02:45:27 PM »
Perk,

The Caputo Extra Blue has 9.5% protein and the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour has 11.5-12.5%. I may have originally gotten the protein numbers for the Pizzeria flour some time ago from the importer but it has never been a secret.

You don't have to buy a 55-lb. bag just to try the Caputo Pizzeria flour. PennMac sells the Caputo Pizzeria flour repackaged in 5-lb. bags. It takes a long time to work through a 55-lb. bag, so you might want to consider buying a few 5-lb. bags from PennMac to see if you like it well enough to get the larger bag next time.

Peter

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »
Perk,

The Caputo Extra Blue has 9.5% protein and the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour has 11.5-12.5%. I may have originally gotten the protein numbers for the Pizzeria flour some time ago from the importer but it has never been a secret.

You don't have to buy a 55-lb. bag just to try the Caputo Pizzeria flour. PennMac sells the Caputo Pizzeria flour repackaged in 5-lb. bags. It takes a long time to work through a 55-lb. bag, so you might want to consider buying a few 5-lb. bags from PennMac to see if you like it well enough to get the larger bag next time.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I ordered 10# from PennMac,
55# is quite a bit to just test out, plus with my other flours it would take it even longer to use it all up.

James was saying there wasn't a huge difference between the Blue and the Pizzeria brand, but if I'm going to spend
the money in shipping I like to get the top product.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.