Author Topic: San Francisco 2013 Pizzeria Recommendations Appreciated!  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Pizza Quixote

• Pizza Quixote
Re: San Francisco 2013 Pizzeria Recommendations Appreciated!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Great thread.

I have a few hours in SF enroute to Sonoma (next month).  I want "destination" pizza in both places, and I'd prefer it to be other-than-Neapolitan.  That should be a short list.

Who is on that list?  Grazie!!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
Delfina for sure. Totally delicious.  And get a loaf of bread at Tartine while you are there if you can (it's right around the corner from Delfina).
Flour + Water is supposed to be very good; I haven't been there.

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline dineomite

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
I don't know what your itinerary allows, but I would recommend a lunch and dinner in Berkeley.

Gioya sells by the slice and has one of the best selection of topping combos I've seen. I walked here after choking down half a piece from Cheeseboard. (Exhibit A for "Why Slice of Heaven" needs to be badly updated.) They place is well above average.

If I had one place I could go to in the entire Bay Area it would be Emilia's. I thought it was the best pie I had the whole time we were there (and that's saying a lot.) Keith Freilich talked pizza with us the whole time we were there. Just a really down to earth guy (as a most pizza people, I guess.) It was an awesome experience.

I thought Pizzaiolo in Oakland was good as well, but I would recommend going when it's warmer and they open the back patio area. When that's not open, seats are at a premium inside.

[First three pics are Gioya] [Second three are Emilia's

Offline dineomite

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
In SF, I prefer Flour + Water. Reservations are a joke, but if you get there between 5:30 and 6 you can snag a table at the bar. Coming from the three time zones away on the first night we actually didn't mind eating earlier since we were starving. I've been three times, but never had the opportunity to sample the bone marrow pizza.  >:(

As many have documented here, Tony's in North Beach is something to see. Something like four different types of ovens.

Pizzeria Delfina (which is different than just regular old Delfina which the more formal restaurant next door is good as well. I have no pictures because it was 93 degrees the night we ate there and I just wanted to eat and get out. It was HOT! . I now know that most of SF is un-air conditioned. It's a tight little spot but tables turnover quickly.

Surprisingly I liked Gialina. When I saw the pizzas coming out, I was like, "Oh man, these things do not look very good." The dough was actually very good. This is a little off the beaten path, but was worth the trip.

[Flour and Water first pics] [Gialina last three]

Offline dineomite

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Given the opportunity, most neapolitan fans are going to want to check out UPN. We got there when they first opened (these pictures are actually from the second week he was open). If you get there before  opening it just looks like a closed warehouse with a roll down door. They roll the door up and it reveals a glass entrance. (Pretty neat idea) I'm probably going to hell for saying this - I thought it was good, not great. I think a lot of it had to do with unrealistic expectations and personal taste. I thought it was a fun dinner, but there's just so much to eat in that city I don't know that I'll be back.

If you're going up to Muir Woods or headed across the Golden Gate Bridge then stop at Pizzeria Picco in Larkspur. There's only 11 seats (Picco is the more formal restaurant next door), but they turnover at a pretty good pace. Make sure to hit up some of their soft serve with olive oil, too.

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »
CopperTop, great post! thanks for the in depth review. Maybe we will run into each other at the expo!

Mark

Would be fun to see you there, too!  Plan on getting together with Scott Weiner  (Scott's Pizza Tour in NYC) for a pizza slice.  I think he returning to the Expo to judge the competitions.  Signed up for Tony's 2-day workshop - it will probably be a boneyard, but looking forward to his presentation and lessons.

Sharlene