Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 36693 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »
I had those round ones and the etna that came up volunteer from last year. I don't think the round ones would have had enough heat on their own.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
I will preface by saying I love heat and like a decent burn. I like hot Indian curry, very hot Thai food with bird peppers and i am known to put ghost pepper and habaneros in many dishes. Sriracha is ketsup!  I love jalepeno palomas cocktails!! We call them Squishies!

These little round calabrese peppers have a unique quality when eaten raw. You know like any other pepper, I just took off the stem and popped it into my mouth. It was about the size of a big Bing cherry.  They have heat and burn that goes from zero to 100 immediately - like a raw habanero only much sharper (if that makes sense.) Also, uncharacteristically to my experience with higher Scoville scale peppers, the burn does not last that long as a habanero or even Serrano would. The thing is - I ate it all on one side of my mouth. Next morning - giant canker sore on my tongue where I was chewing it (I know gross)  but fact. 

Anyone else try these round raw peppers off the plant and experience the same heat? I was not expecting it to be quite that hot based on member posts. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
Craig, I found these at a local Italian deli. What do you think?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
It may be good, but it's going to be different. I'd buy a bottle if I saw it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
drmatt357 - try them, it is some of the best tasting stuff I have ever eaten. Works great on lots of things - I eat it everyday now - just ordered a case of 12 jars, I can't keep it in the house.

Try mixing a teaspoon (or more) into some warm vegetables - adds a great flavor and kick. Also good added to a baked potato!

Offline Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »
drmatt357 - try them, it is some of the best tasting stuff I have ever eaten. Works great on lots of things - I eat it everyday now - just ordered a case of 12 jars, I can't keep it in the house.

Try mixing a teaspoon (or more) into some warm vegetables - adds a great flavor and kick. Also good added to a baked potato!

I agree. These are the closest I can find locally. Looks to be the same ingredients. I was surprised at the heat level. A little goes a long way.

Dave

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »

Thanks Mate. I will go pick up a jar.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
I agree. These are the closest I can find locally. Looks to be the same ingredients. I was surprised at the heat level. A little goes a long way.

SimpleMan,

The Cento brand is the one I use as well because it's available locally.  They are also great mixed into pasta or drizzled on chicken cutlets.
Mary Ann

Offline Everlast

« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2014, 05:39:08 PM »
As an homage to your amazing Calabrian chili oil, I offer this picture that I captures my love of it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »
As an homage to your amazing Calabrian chili oil, I offer this picture that I captures my love of it.

You did it proud!  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline moose13

« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »
I did a small pizza party last weekend, actually you helped with the lifeless dough if you remember.
Anyways, i brought my Blackstone and a cooler full of pizza ingredients to a friends, we made pizza and had a couple homebrews. I was walking out my door and almost forgot my chili oil. Good thing i grabbed it. 5 out of 6 people tried it and they all said "tell my about this stuff, i love it". Huge hit! Thanks again.

Offline brianb10

« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »
I wanted to make some myself but was not excited about having to order some chili's online and wait for delivery.  Imagine my surprise when I spied "Calabrian Chilis in Oil" today  at my local Williams Sonoma store.  This jar was 12.95.  Tried it on a pizza tonight and I am hooked.  Just the right amount of spice for a kick but the overall flavor that the oil adds is just amazing.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
I wanted to make some myself but was not excited about having to order some chili's online and wait for delivery.  Imagine my surprise when I spied "Calabrian Chilis in Oil" today  at my local Williams Sonoma store.  This jar was 12.95.  Tried it on a pizza tonight and I am hooked.  Just the right amount of spice for a kick but the overall flavor that the oil adds is just amazing.

If it is like the others I've tried (all are packed in oil), it gets even better when prepared as I describe at the beginning of the thread.

I canned two batches of Calabrian chilies I grew in the garden this year, and I'm getting really close to the flavor of the commercial products - close enough that I'm convinced that the only heat the chilies see is that of the canning process. The more intense heat of the frying process really draws out the flavor I'm looking for.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
I'm getting pretty darn close to the right flavor when curing my own Calabrian Chilies. These are mostly the round type (http://www.growitalian.com/pepper-piccante-calabrese-97-115/). Two of these plants easily produced enough peppers to can 20+ 8oz bottles like the ones in the picture below (I made about a dozen jars total after two pickings. There is plenty in the garden to make another 6-8 jars that I'm not going to mess with). I also added a few of the Etna that came up volunteer from last year (http://www.growitalian.com/pepper-picante-etna-97-109/). I chop them in a food processor (about 6 bottles worth); added about 1 Tbs of white vinegar, salt them pretty heavily - until they taste salty; and then put them in the fridge for a couple weeks. After that, I drained them (save the juice, it's the best hot sauce you will ever taste), put them in jars with a couple mint leaves and 1/4 tsp salt, and then filled the bottles with a good buttery EVOO and pressure canned at 11psi for 100 minutes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »
These still need to be fried like I describe in the beginning of the thread to really bring out the flavor.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline brianb10

« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
If it is like the others I've tried (all are packed in oil), it gets even better when prepared as I describe at the beginning of the thread.

I canned two batches of Calabrian chilies I grew in the garden this year, and I'm getting really close to the flavor of the commercial products - close enough that I'm convinced that the only heat the chilies see is that of the canning process. The more intense heat of the frying process really draws out the flavor I'm looking for.

Craig,
If I was going to prepare them as you originally described would I need to add olive oil or would I just dump the contents of the jar and heat them in the oil that is already in the jar?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
Craig,
If I was going to prepare them as you originally described would I need to add olive oil or would I just dump the contents of the jar and heat them in the oil that is already in the jar?

I add EVOO, there is plenty of flavor in the jar - probably too much without adding any. It's a waste not to extend it with oil, and it may (probably is) even be better to do so.
Pizza is not bread.