Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 42126 times)

Offline jleonard711

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »
Just read through this entire thread, and I have a few quick questions:

1) What's the difference between the round and the long skinny peppers? I have Googled Calabrese chiles and I get pictures of both types in the results, so I'm curious how they could both be called the same thing when they look so different. Do they taste the same?

2) Have you tried using dried peppers rather than the canned-in-oil?

3) Do you think cheap EVOO should be okay to use, or is it worth it to use an expensive/high quality EVOO?

I'm going to start a few aeroponic tower gardens this spring and plan to grow all sorts of things for my pizzas like basil, arugula, spinach, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, chives, etc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:38:27 PM by jleonard711 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2015, 09:09:38 AM »
1) What's the difference between the round and the long skinny peppers? I have Googled Calabrese chiles and I get pictures of both types in the results, so I'm curious how they could both be called the same thing when they look so different. Do they taste the same? The commercially cured round and long ones that I've tried pretty much taste the same.

2) Have you tried using dried peppers rather than the canned-in-oil? They make a nice chili oil, but it tastes nothing at all like this.

3) Do you think cheap EVOO should be okay to use, or is it worth it to use an expensive/high quality EVOO? I think as long as you like the tase of the EVOO, ity will be fine. I use a fairly inexpensive EVOO for this.

I'm going to start a few aeroponic tower gardens this spring and plan to grow all sorts of things for my pizzas like basil, arugula, spinach, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, chives, etc. Growing them is the easy part. They have been prolific in my garden and others. Making them taste like the ones in the jars has proven to be much more difficult.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
1) What's the difference between the round and the long skinny peppers? I have Googled Calabrese chiles and I get pictures of both types in the results, so I'm curious how they could both be called the same thing when they look so different. Do they taste the same?

For what it's worth, cultivars of the same species can vary dramatically. Both the long and round (and hundreds of other chili varieties around the world are Capsicum annuum.

Differences inside the same species can be much more stark than with these chilies. For example, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, and kohlrabi are all Brassica oleracea. How's that for looking different but being the "same?"

Offline cerone

« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2015, 06:13:20 PM »
Sorry if this has been answered already...

I currently have a jar of the long stem calabrese chili's in Craig's original post. I usually just spoon a tsp or so of that oil on top of my pizzas...

How does this method compare in taste to the straight oil from the jar? I imagine the frying brings out some flavor and then the added EVOO dilutes the spice a little?
Joey

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #264 on: February 07, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
Chopping and frying as I suggest here lets you add a lot of oil without diluting either the flavor or the spice. If anything, you intensify it vs. the oil in the jar.

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Very interesting thread. Cooking Chinese food is my forte so when it comes to pizza I'm just an amateur, saved by my Black Stone Pizza Oven. :-\

Craig's method (from the start of this thread) mimics the Sichuan method that I use to make my chili oil... it must be fried at a fairly low temp to bring out the intensity of the chili peppers and to add an aromatic, almost "toasted" aroma. Almost like the "wo hei" created when a stir-fry is made with sufficient heat.

The other key is of course, the variety of peppers. I'm looking forward to trying the "tipo Calabrese" once I find some.

-Crispy
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2015, 09:38:12 AM »
I've never found them locally and have always had to order on-line. IMO, it's worth it. I've never tasted another chili with a similar flavor, and it's perfect for pizza.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Maple Syrup & Calabrian chili oil - You must try
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
This is very easy and it is very, very good - I recommend it very much....

~1 Pound Brussels Sprouts, cleaned and halved
1 Tablespoon Calabrian Chilis with oil
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
~1/2 Tablespoon Earth Balance (or butter if you not watching your cholesterol)
Salt to taste

Clean Sprouts as above
Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and heat to melt the Earth Balance
Coat Sprouts with the mixture and roast at 400 degrees until Sprouts are caramelized and tender
Eat quickly, or someone else will!!!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:43:43 PM by norcoscia »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
Yum - and vegan!

Offline chriscar

« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Hey all,

Just a heads-up that http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/tutto-calabria-long-hot-chili-peppers.html has the 2.8kb tub on sale for $34, and shipping is $10.

C
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:21:05 AM by chriscar »
Cogito Ergo Zoom!

pizzapan