Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 30076 times)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
I have not seen the long ones from anyone else - not to say there aren't any. I have had round ones from other companies that taste virtually the same however.
I'm so happy to hear you say that the round or long are similar.  I just got the first "fruits" on the Franchi calabrese pepper plants this week! They are the round ones.

Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline applor

« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »
Thanks Craig - do you recall the brand(s)?  I can then make enquiries with local suppliers here to see if they are stocked at all.

Also, say I pay the $ to get a 2.8kg tub shipped over here, how long will they last after opening the tub?
I am guessing a while given they are sitting in oil but would hate to throw out most of a 2.8kg tub since you wouldn't use much of them.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
I'm so happy to hear you say that the round or long are similar.  I just got the first "fruits" on the Franchi calabrese pepper plants this week! They are the round ones.

I didn't say the fresh ones taste the same. I've grown those too, and I can't figure out how to make them taste like the ones in the jars - long or round. They also get a fair bit bigger than the round ones in the jars that I've seen. If you figure out how to make them taste right, please let us know!  :-\
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
Thanks Craig - do you recall the brand(s)?  I can then make enquiries with local suppliers here to see if they are stocked at all.

Also, say I pay the $ to get a 2.8kg tub shipped over here, how long will they last after opening the tub?
I am guessing a while given they are sitting in oil but would hate to throw out most of a 2.8kg tub since you wouldn't use much of them.

I've had an open jar in the fridge for months before and it seemed to be OK. They are really salty.

The round ones that come to mind are from the brand Artibel. There is a pic at the beginning of the thread. I've had at least one other, but I don't remember the name. Member Wheelman gave it to me, maybe he remembers?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:46 PM »
I didn't say the fresh ones taste the same. I've grown those too, and I can't figure out how to make them taste like the ones in the jars - long or round. They also get a fair bit bigger than the round ones in the jars that I've seen. If you figure out how to make them taste right, please let us know!  :-\

I have some time until they are harvested so I'll see what I can come up with. However, now that I know you tried already (and I now have to order some to know what the right taste is) I will do my best. Thanks for your help & support.
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

I bought the tub back in November I think (9 months), and it is still in good shape. As you can see I'm about 2/3 of the way through, I just keep it at room temp.

There is a caveat though. That big tub and the large peppers aren't exactly user friendly. I've gotten in the habit every 2 months of rather tediously trimming the peppers into smaller strips using tongs and scissors, filling up an 8 oz jar that sits on my counter for easy forking onto pasta/pizza. Once you have cut the peppers like that, even if you have them sitting in plenty of oil, they do start to break down within 5 weeks or so. Basically, the top gets a white-ish crust to it, and that's not so hot.

Offline applor

« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
Thanks for the post cc2323.

It seems like you use your chillis a fair bit to have gone through that many!

I only have plans to use them for the Chilli oil which means a 2.8kg would likely last me years.

Unfortunately even the smallest package via USPS is over $60US to Australia, meaning buying in bulk gives the best value.

Unfortunately I would not use that many - I need to find some others here to go splits on a big tub and it could work out OK.

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #227 on: Yesterday at 08:59:35 PM »
It seems like you use your chillis a fair bit to have gone through that many!

Indeed, but have some help. I've become the pied piper of these peppers, telling everyone I know that they gotta try 'em, and dropping off 4oz. jars at their house. I always say: "They're hard to find now, but imagine what'll happen once the foodie world discovers them and causes a crippling shortage".

Imagine my consternation when I saw one of those jars untouched on a relative's counter 3 months after I dropped one off. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

As for your situation, that's a brutal shipping scenario if ever there was one. The things are already being shipped stateside at great cost, and then re-shipped to you in Aus... no wonder the mark up. You should seriously ask around your click whether someone knows Italian, so they can navigate a website for you. Or even just use Google translate. There has got to be a way to order a couple jars from Italy direct, and hopefully save dollars plural in the process.

pizzapan