Author Topic: Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbromated, Unbleached Flour - gluten content?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
Hey everyone! Long-time-no-post for me.  Sorry about that but just have been in a sort of Pizza Doldrums for a while.

I wanted to get the Forum's help on the topic above.

I was out of Organic KABF and noticed the Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbromated, Unbleached Flour on the supermarket shelf, at a lower price than the Organic KABF.
The label very specifically claims that it's made with "high protein, high gluten hard red wheat" and that it's great for bread machines and bread making.
However, it also uses the "all-purpose" catchphrase, which to me is sort of contradictory to the idea of a "bread flour."

So does anyone know the gluten content of this flour?  Or would a gluten mass test be beneficial?  I've never done one but I suppose I'd be willing to sacrifice some of the pricey flour to the cause of science  ;D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbromated, Unbleached Flour - gluten content?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
Biz,

Welcome back.

See http://www.bobsredmill.com/faqs.html#SP6.

Peter

Offline Biz Markie

• Pass the partially-hydrogenated lard
Re: Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbromated, Unbleached Flour - gluten content?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Thanks Pete! 
It occurred to me *after* I posted that I should check Bob's website.  DUH!

Interesting that the organic is lower protein than regular.  Given the premium price, I should probably do a gluten mass test on the bulk organic AP flour they carry at Whole Foods Market to see how it compares.  It's a good bit cheaper than Bob's.

pizzapan