Here is the original for you linked here, http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/1107.htmland
here is the verbiage from it also :
I will bold the parts that you disagree with, yet you still have not provided any valid cites to back up your opinion.
I am sure you can find the actual PDF file of the study if it bothers you so much.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 21, 1993
CONTACT: Dean Cliver, (608) 263-6937STUDY: WOOD CUTTING BOARDS, NOT PLASTIC, ARE SAFER FOR FOOD PREP
MADISON Q For decades now, cooks in homes and restaurants
have been urged to use plastic rather than wood cutting boards in
the name of food safety. The fear is that disease-causing bacteria
Q salmonella from raw chicken, for example Q will soak into a
cutting board and later contaminate other foods cut on the same
surface and served uncooked, such as salad ingredients.
It's become an article of faith among "experts" that plastic
cutting boards are safer than wood for food preparation because,
as the thinking goes, plastic is less hospitable to bacteria.
It seems reasonable, but it just ain't so, according to two
scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Food Research
Institute. Dean O. Cliver and Nese O. Ak, food microbiologists in the
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, have found that in some
as yet unknown way wooden cutting boards kill bacteria that
survive well on plastic boards. "This flies in the face of the prevailing wisdom," says
Cliver. "It isn't what I expected. Our original objectives were to
learn about bacterial contamination of wood cutting boards and to
find a way to decontaminate the wood so it would be almost as safe
as plastic. That's not what happened."
Cliver is quick to point out that cooks should continue to be
careful when they handle foods and wash off cutting surfaces after
they cut meat or chicken that may be contaminated with bacteria. "Wood may be preferable in that small lapses in sanitary
practices are not as dangerous on wood as on plastic,"
he says. "This doesn't mean you can be sloppy about safety. It means you
can use a wood cutting board if that is the kind you prefer. It
certainly isn't less safe than plastic and appears to be more
Cliver and Ak began by purposely contaminating wood and
plastic boards with bacteria and then trying to recover those
bacteria alive from the boards. They also tested boards made from
seven different species of trees and four types if plastic. They
incubated contaminated boards overnight at refrigerator and room
temperatures and at high and typical humidity levels. They tested
several bacteria Q Salmonella, Listeria and enterohemorrhagic
Escherichia coli Q known to produce food poisoning. The results
consistently favored the wooden boards, often by a large margin
over plastic boards,
according to Cliver. The scientists found that three minutes after contaminating a
board that 99.9 percent of the bacteria on wooden boards had died,
while none of the bacteria died on plastic. Bacterial numbers
actually increased on plastic cutting boards held overnight at
room temperature, but the scientists could not recover any
bacteria from wooden boards treated the same way.
So where did we get the idea that wood isn't safe? Cliver and
Ak don't know. They did a literature search and have not found any
studies that evaluated the food safety attributes of wood and
plastic cutting boards.
Although Ak, a graduate student at the Food Research
Institute, will soon return to Turkey, Cliver hopes to continue
the studies. A major question now, he says, is why wood is so
inhospitable to bacteria. He and Ak have tried unsuccessfully to
recover a compound in wood that inhibits bacteria
The first year of the study was funded by the Food Research
Institute with unrestricted food industry gift funds; other
funding sources are now being sought. Cliver and Ak will soon
submit an article based on the research to a refereed scientific
The 200 PPM max limit of your disinfectant solution that you got all twisted up over applies to active work stations, I clearly stated that I mist my boards with this solution after close, and let it dry overnight.
I have Quoted that statement below for your ease of reading.
I use monstrous bare hard-maple surfaces at our restaurant for our meat prep, they get degreased nightly and scrubbed with a citrus degreaser, then scraped and rinsed, then sprayed with a bleach solution mixed at 50/50 with water, that gets misted on the boards at closing and left to dry.
Why do I do this heavy concentration? Simply because I like the light blonde color of my work surfaces when I come in to open the next day. Would you like for me to outline my floor cleaning procedures so you can disapprove of them too, or maybe just to tell me that I am doing it wrong even though all the state and county health inspectors which I deal with have zero problems with my procedures.
(My state has adopted the federal food code without any changes even though they may create more restrictive rules, they have not)
By the way, ever hear of the natural wood cutting boards produced by "John Boos", They are made from the same material that I chose to have my work surfaces made from, And they are NSF approved. informational link>> http://www.kitchensource.com/cutting-boards/pdfs/jb-pr-release.pdf
And a direct link to the NSF showing John Boos maple cutting board products NSF approval by model number http://www.nsf.org/Certified/food/Listings.asp?Standard=002&Company=24950&