Author Topic: Newbie with questions  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Dtox

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Newbie with questions
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
Thanks Pi Guy from another newbie...I feel like I am there in the kitchen with you!

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
Thanks Pi Guy from another newbie...I feel like I am there in the kitchen with you!

:-D :-D

It's amazing what the internet can do to your perception.  You should be here now, it's almost done (I'll post the pics) and it's starting to smell like success here in the kitchen!

Welcome D Tox

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »
Had a bit of an accident putting it into th eoven. I fooled around and left it on the peel too long and it stuck when I tried to get it onto the stone.  All my toppings are pretty much at one end of the Pi now.

Ugly, but it will taste good.

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »
OK!  The taste of the crust was 100% better than my previous attempts.  I think the additional salt helped (Thanks Petezza).  The high gluten flour made it easier to work with and there was no bland, crackery (my apologies to crackery style fans) taste.  In other words, my old tries reminded me of cardboard.  This one had some flavor but nothing too extreme.  My 7 year old made his own and that cooked on a sheet pan (not pre-heated).  Mine went directly onto the stone (and all over the inside of the oven at first!! :-D  The difference between the two pizzas was the bottom of the crust.  Mine was just a little too crunchy/dry where his crust wasn't as crunchy.  I think I am going to duplicate my dough recipe but will pick up a couple screens and try it on a screen the next time.  I think for my taste, the hot pizza stone is too much on the raw dough and leaves it too cripsy/crunchy.  Here are some pics.

I love all day pizza making.  It's almost as nice as beer making.

before stretching:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:45:31 PM by 3.14159265 Guy »

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 06:25:49 PM »
Stretched and on the peel:

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »
Dressed:

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 06:27:11 PM »
Hot out of the oven:

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 06:28:16 PM »
The profile shot  ;D

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
Plated with the breadstick:

Offline Dtox

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
Looks damn tasty to me...once you get it perfected you'll have to invite friends over for pizza!

:P

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
Looks damn tasty to me...once you get it perfected you'll have to invite friends over for pizza!

:P

I think I have a decent collection of dough recipes now that I can invite some pallies over for a slice and some cocktails.  We need to commit to one day a month for new PI recipes.  Tell me what day of the week works best for you guys.  We can even trade off pizza nights.  I'll do the first one.

ring bologna, sardine and blue cheese - ref the "other" site  ;D  mmmmm  :'(

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 08:50:56 PM »
3.14 Guy,

Congratulations. I think you are headed in the right suggestion.

I'd like to suggest that you consider an overnight or 2 to 3 day cold fermentation for one of your future efforts. You might have to make a few changes to your recipe but they would be relatively minor. I estimate that your recipe makes around 33 ounces of dough. That would be enough to make two pizzas about 14 inches in diameter. From one of your photos that seems about what you made. Is that correct? I think you will see improvement in the crust texture and flavor with the cold fermentation.

I wouldn't give up so easily on using your stone, but you should by all means try using a pizza screen. I very often use both a screen and the stone. I start with the screen and then transfer the pizza to the stone after several minutes. I also frequently use the broiler toward the end.

I'd also like to suggest that you try another recipe. It is the one set forth in Reply #24 at the Raquel thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.20.html. I mention this recipe in particular because it produces one of the best handling doughs I have ever made, and you indicated that you like to toss doughs. This is the dough to do it with. I made a pizza with the Raquel dough recipe tonight and it was excellent. I used the screen/stone/broiler method mentioned above. I should be posting my results over the next day or so on the Raquel thread.

Peter

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 11:33:52 AM »
Pete-zza,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had planned on doing a 2 day rise this week but didn't get time to make th edough the other night, so I'm doing a 6 hour or so rise today.  I wil definitely try next week.  I'll check out that thread and try that recipe.

Yes, I would estimate that my recipe makes 2 14 inch pizzas.  I usually make one 14 inch (or close to that size) and one small personal pizza for my son and about 5 or 6 breadsticks.  So I would guess that that equals about 2 14 inch pizzas.

Thanks again!

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 02:29:08 PM »
Chiguy - Thats an unbelievable shot of a window pane test :o.  After you made the window pane did you just put the "test" dough back in with the rest of the dough?  Does the dough suffer at all after being stretched to that amount then being put back in the batch?  Do you have any photos of the resulting pizza?     

Danes Dad