Author Topic: San Marzano DOP: Add (almost) nothing / Other tomatoes: Add ingredients  (Read 3747 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: San Marzano DOP: Add (almost) nothing / Other tomatoes: Add ingredients
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 01:11:03 AM »
I just noticed that you can purchase San Marzano Tomatoes online thru Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cento+tomates&tag=pizzamaking-20

Just watch out for the pricing. Like all the products on Amazon, there is always a seller that wants to rip people off with the highest pricing.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:21 AM »
Caveat emptor
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
Craig,
Would you please take a look at these and tell if you think they are yours. You can't see the top of the cans for your numbers. Do your cans say "certified" on the label. This deal seems almost too good to be true compared to what I'm only able to get locally(no 35oz Cento's >:() Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C4C67C/?tag=pizzamaking-20
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline chadberg00

• Chad Berglund artist pizza gallery website
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
Last week I tried the Cento's San Marzano (non DOP) from Trader Joe's for a margherita pie.  Hand crushed the SMs, strained some of the juice out, added ~ 1/2 tsp salt and nothing else because they were so sweet already. Was incredible as the tomato flavor was perfect with whole milk mozz and sliced roma's on top.

Tonight trying the same only with Cento's Italian peeled.  While sampling salt and sugar, I noticed it needed some sugar (I use Splenda instead) and a bit more salt than SMs...  Yet to taste the pie once cooked.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
Hi chadberg00,

Thanks for telling us about you sauce. What are the toppings that you use on your Margarita pizza? Also, are you baking it or putting it in a wood fire oven? Thanks!!

TomN

Offline chadberg00

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
Hi chadberg00,

Thanks for telling us about you sauce. What are the toppings that you use on your Margarita pizza? Also, are you baking it or putting it in a wood fire oven? Thanks!!

TomN

Hi Tom-
no, don't have the wood fired oven ...yet.  ;D  That subject is one of the reasons I joined this place as there so many backyard shells/kits now that are available and need to pull the trigger soon.

Currently use a Kitchen Aid convection oven that will push 525 F and use a Fibrament stone that has worked great for 5 years without cracking.  Toppings:  dough on peel, sauce, whispering of Parmesan cheese, whole milk mozz in chunks, either sliced romas or halved grape tomatoes, paper thin sliced garlic (not always), drizzle of California Estate olive oil on top....cook 4-5 mins...  and add fresh torn basil once out of the oven on the bread rack.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
chadberg00,

Can you post a few photos of your pizza? Thanks

TomN

Offline chadberg00

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
Last night made four pies.  Note we ran out of 00 flour so this bake was with bread flour and based on Reinhart's book recipe.  I also much preferred the Cento' San Marzano than the regular Italian for sauce (seemed a bit to acetic comparatively and less rich tomato flavor).

Offline chadberg00

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
...and this one is from week before only with Cento's SM (non DOP) sauce and sliced roma tomatoes instead of grape ones. Much preferred this on flavor.

Hopefully didn't derail this thread.  :-\

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
Craig,
Would you please take a look at these and tell if you think they are yours. You can't see the top of the cans for your numbers. Do your cans say "certified" on the label. This deal seems almost too good to be true compared to what I'm only able to get locally(no 35oz Cento's >:() Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Imported-Italian-Tomatoes-35-Ounce/dp/B002C4C67C/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Bob, yes, that is what I use, Cento Italian in the 35oz can. I pay $2.19/can at my local grocery store (HEB).
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
Thank you Craig...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »
...and this one is from week before only with Cento's SM (non DOP) sauce and sliced roma tomatoes instead of grape ones. Much preferred this on flavor.

Hopefully didn't derail this thread.  :-\

Very nice looking pie. It's been a while since I've tried the Cento Certified. I guess I need to gie them another taste.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
I found a can of the Cento San Marzano at my Safeway, which is good news because I'd tried for years to find them with no luck.  Just a week ago I was thrilled because I found "San Marzano Style" tomatoes at the same store.