Author Topic: Atlanta -- Savage Pizza: Avondale location  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Jet_deck

Atlanta -- Savage Pizza: Avondale location
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »
I did a quick google search on 'Atlanta Pizza' and Zagats had this place (maybe not this location) rated equal with Varasanos.
http://savagepizza.com/  So I head out to find this place and did.  I was there about 30 min before they opened and waited until I was about the 4th "group" in.  Somewhere in their literature, it said something to the effect of 'NY style, thin'  I sat at the bar with the prep area straight in front of me, and the two "Garlan Air" something off to the right.

I ordered a small Chicken Cordon Bleu (substituting the spicey red sauce for the white sauce) and a small Mai Pai (substituting mushrooms for the green peppers)  http://savagepizza.com/specialty-pizzas-avondale

So Junior grabs some dough balls straight from the fridge and gingerly opens them just a bit since they are cold.  Grabs the docker, and goes to town on them.  He then does a more traditional opening method, by passing the dough from open hand to open hand back and forth and finally gets it stretched out.  So I asked what temp the ovens are set on, he reply's 525.  I say what is the cook time, he say's "hell, I cold cook a small in 10 min or so"  So you can see where this thing is heading...

The cheese on the cooked pizza didn't really meld with the sauce, not helping was the fact that the pizza's were heavily cheesed.  You could pick up a slice and the toppings all slid off.  At best, the pizza was ok.  Nothing better than that.  (more)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

Re: Atlanta -- Savage Pizza: Avondale location
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
I found Stanislaus full red, 7/11 and 70.40 cans in the stock room.  The flour was Con Agra Kyrol (HG)

In no way should this place be rated anywhere near Varasanos.  YMMV, Mine Does not.

scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
Grabs the docker, and goes to town on them.

Whenever I see someone use a docker, it feels like I'm being physically punctured with holes. Ouch.

Nice write-up, as always.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
I live in Atlanta and I have never heard of this place.  Hard to imagine it was in a review compared to Varasanos

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:14 PM »
I live in Atlanta and I have never heard of this place.  Hard to imagine it was in a review compared to Varasanos

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
I think Zagat needs to stick with motels, boats and cigars, or whatever it is that they are "experts" at.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:01:59 AM »
I did look it up on Yelp and the other location had quite a few good reviews.  I agree with you on the Zagat ratings

scott123

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:18 AM »
I place an incredible amount of stock in public opinion.  If 8 out of 10 people love a movie, there's a good chance I'll love the movie as well.  There are a considerable number of factors that can distort public opinion, such as the conditioning that might initially cause first time Neapolitan tasters to find it wet or burnt, but, in general, in most areas, I trust the public.

These restaurant rating sites, like Yelp or Urbanspoon, though, are enigmas.  I really thought they'd be useful tools for finding the best restaurants, but, time after time, I've gotten burned with some of the most atrocious food ever.  The top rated pizza in my area on Urbanspoon has the texture of a dog's toy. It's confounding. Maybe, like IMDB with obscure movies, the ballot boxes are getting stuffed, so perhaps, as more people use these sites, the reliability of the ratings will improve. Right now, though... forget about it.

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
I don't put a lot of stock in these sites either.  I think most people try and offer an honest opinion but just aren't qualified as to what they should be looking for.  This is probably most true in the case of Pizza establishments.  The average person doesn't know the characteristics of a particular style and if the restaurant hits the mark.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
Zagat is just another public rating site (except, at one time, I think you had to apply to be a rater... this according to my sister-in-law who was one, and now doesn't trust their ratings after understanding how it works). So, essentially, Zagat was the forerunner to Yelp, etc., just in print at the time (and now online), except that they had more categories for their raters to rate, rather than completely free format. BTW, Zagat was bought by Google last year for around $150 million.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:11:54 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
BTW, Zagat was bought by Google last year for around $150 million.

Barry

Thanks for that info. Zagat is like a wolf in sheeps clothing. 

Offline Jet_deck

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:03:39 AM »
Here are the places that serve Neapolitan and Neo-Neapolitan pies here in the Atlanta area in no particular order. 

1. Antico
2. Fritti
3. STG Trattoria
4. Double Zero Napoletana
5. Varasanos
6. 246
7. Sapori di Napoli
8. Ammazza
9. Vingenzo's
10. Baraonda
11. Tartufo

Offline David Deas

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »
Max's coal fired pizzaria should be added to that list.

Savage is a step up from chain pizza, but that's about it.  Even still, I'd rather have Mellow Mushroom.  Although, Savage does have a spicy red pepper sauce option that goes well with some toppings.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:05:11 AM by David Deas »

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:11:20 AM »
......Savage is a step up from chain pizza, but that's about it...... 

+1

pizzapan