Author Topic: Alternitive to Kitchen Aid mixers  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
Alternitive to Kitchen Aid mixers
« on: December 31, 2005, 12:58:01 AM »
 7 Qt. Commercial Mixer by Hamilton Beach
Won't slow down with thick doughs or heavy loads.
The movement of attachments covers the complete bowl. Die cast metal. 120V. Other features include: variable speed, gear driven 1+ HP motor; stainless steel mixing bowl, flat beater, whisk, dough hook and scraping spatula included; tilt up head with safety cut off stops the motor immediately when the head is raised. 15-1/2"Wx9-3/8"Dx13-7/8"H.     

Share a piece with a friend!

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Alternitive to Kitchen Aid mixers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 05:41:24 AM »
What's the price range?

Unlike some folks on the forum, most of us have budgetary concerns and can't afford a $500 - $700 mixer to support our pizza habit.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline bicster

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:35:19 AM »
He might be selling it on his website right now!

Offline Bubba Kuhn

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
OK here is a list of the current models and best prices of Kitchen Aid mixers as opposed to the Hamilton Beach.

There is some apples compared to oranges as most of the KA mixers do not have near the capacity nor volume of the Hamilton Beach Mixer.

So here are the best prices that I can find wholesale for the differing models.
Decide for your self what the definition of  value and quality is!

7 Quart Commercial Mixer
by Hamilton Beach
by Hamilton Beach
Product Number 815-042

The movement of attachments covers the complete bowl. Die cast metal. 120V. Other features include: variable speed, gear driven 1+ HP motor; stainless steel mixing bowl, flat beater, whisk, dough hook and scraping spatula included; tilt up head with safety cut off stops the motor immediately when the head is raised. 15-1/2"Wx9-3/8"Dx13-7/8"H.

Express Care Service Program (ECSP) from Hamilton Beach

Follow these four easy steps for quick, convenient, dependable repairs:
1. Make the call. Dial 1-866-285-1087 toll-free to speak to a member of our highly trained technical service staff (hours Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm EST). We will make an initial phone diagnosis.
2. We will take it from here. If it is determined that minimal on-site maintenance cannot be performed, Hamilton Beach Commercial will expedite a brand new replacement product to your location. We will pay the cost of the overnight freight.
3. Sit back, relax, and don’t pay a dime. Once the replacement unit is received, you send the troubled unit back to Hamilton Beach Commercial (we’ll provide the box and supporting materials to return the unit). Hamilton Beach Commercial will pay the freight cost for the returned unit.
4. Wait for a phone call from Hamilton Beach Commercial. We will follow up with you within 48-72 hours to ensure that the new unit arrived and make sure you are completely satisfied. Of course you can call us toll-free anytime to speak to a customer service representative at 1-800-572-3331.     
List Price: $720.00
Your Cost : $454.00/EA (http://www.homespunpizza.com/hb01.jpg)

KitchenAid 5 Quart Mixer
Custom Metallic Colors
by KitchenAid
Product Number 947-016
Egonomically designed bowl handle.
10 speeds. Stainless steel bowl, whip, flat beater, dough hook and clear two-piece pouring shield included. Soft Start™ feature prevents splash out at startup. Metal construction with custom 5-step plating process. Please specify Satin Copper, Chrome or Brushed Nickel. Cord and plug included. 325 watts. 120V. 8-21/32"Wx14-3/32"Dx13-29/32"H. 
Your Cost : $428.00/EA (http://www.homespunpizza.com/428ka.jpg)

KitchenAid 5 Quart Mixer
With Multipurpose Hub
Great color selection!
by KitchenAid
Product Number 947-017
10 speeds. Stainless steel bowl, whip, flat beater, dough hook and clear one-piece pouring shield included. Soft Start™ feature prevents splash out at startup. Multipurpose attachment hub with hinged hub cover for culinary versatility. Metal construction available in designer colors. Specify from list. Cord and plug included. 400 watts. 120V. 16-3/4"Wx11-3/4"Dx16"H.
Your Cost : $266.00/EA(http://www.homespunpizza.com/266ka.jpg)

KitchenAid 5 Quart Mixer
Product Number 947-012
Ergonomically designed bowl handle.
10 speeds. Stainless steel bowl, whip, flat beater, spiral dough hook and clear two-piece pouring shield included. Soft Start™ feature prevents splash out at startup. Metal construction. Specify White or Black. Cord and plug included. 325 watts. 120V. 8-11/16"Wx14-1/8"Dx13-7/8"H.
List Price: $399.00
Your Cost : $254.00/EA(http://www.homespunpizza.com/399ka.jpg)

KitchenAid 5 Quart Commercial Mixer
NSF Certified
by KitchenAid
Product Number 947-013
10 speeds for ultimate control. 5 Qt. stainless steel mixing bowl with lift handle, stainless steel wire whip, flat beater, dough hook and safety guard pin included. White metal construction. 450 watts. 120V. Cord and plug included. 11-5/16"Wx14-5/8"Dx16-1/2"H.
List Price: $545.00
Your Cost : $389.00/EA (http://www.homespunpizza.com/545ka.jpg)

KitchenAid 6 Quart Mixer
by KitchenAid
Product Number 947-014
Even mixes double batches of heavy doughs.
10 speeds. Stainless steel bowl, whip, flat beater, spiral dough hook and clear pouring shield included. Ergonomically designed bowl lift handle. Soft Start™ feature prevents splash out at startup. Metal construction. 11-5/16"Wx14-5/8"Dx16-1/2"H. 575 watts. 120V. Cord and plug included. Please specify White, Black or Gray.
List Price: $796.43
Your Cost : $392.00/EA(http://www.homespunpizza.com/796ka.jpg)

KitchenAid 5 Quart Mixer
With Bowl Lift Handle
by KitchenAid
Product Number 947-018
10 speeds. Stainless steel bowl, whip, flat beater and dough hook included. Soft Start™ feature prevents splash out at startup. Bowl lift design raises bowl into mixing position. Metal construction available in designer colors. Specify from list. Cord and plug included. 450 watts. 120V. 11-9/32"Wx14-19/32"Dx16-1/2"H.
 Your Cost : $332.00/EA(http://www.homespunpizza.com/332ka.jpg)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 05:52:22 PM by bubba »

Offline Bubba Kuhn

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 02:01:47 PM »
Please remember as far as cost of mixers goes. It only takes five minuets and a small piece of counter top to hand mix as fine a dough as you can get from any mixer.  The season before last my mixer 20 quart hobart went  kaput and I did the season mixing by hand daily, about 40 lbs a day. I broke it in to 4 10 pound batches. Took thirty minuets a day.

Mixers are nice but not really necessary to the home pizza maker. There is a video on my site that shows the whole process start to finish using my original New York Style Pizza Dough Recipe.
Use the link in my profile to get there if you wish.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 01:55:35 PM by Steve »

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »
OK, I have no need for any mixer other than my old Hobart/KitchenAid, but that doesn't mean I don't dream.  Does anyone know anything good, bad, or indifferent about this one?  It's an Anvil 10-quart, for significantly lower than the list price.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:21:40 AM »
How come the prices on these mixers never go down? Tv's, computers, vaccuums,etc. have all gone down in price. Granted, mixers don't move as quickly as TV's, but in the last 15 years or so, the prices haven't budged (down, at least).

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 11:25:26 AM »
To whom it may concern:
  Good morning. Unless I am missing my guess this Hamilton mixer looks EXACTLY like mine. This mixer is manu. by KENWOOD of England. Hamilton beach is the U.S. distributor. I bought mine in the fall of 1996 for $388.99 thru the CHEF Catalog located in Chicago. At that time Rival corp (The ones who manu. crock-pots) was the U.S. distributor. That arrangement lasted about 2 1/2 years. Then an Italian based corp. named DE LONGHI became the distributor for about 5 years or so. at least till last year I have seen their ads for this mixer. It's power is comparable to the new Viking mixer. The CIA culinary school & the Calif. culinary school & many others use the Kenwood of England made mixer for the small stuff. The first lady of cakes Mz. Rose Levy Birninbaum claims it is her favorite mixer for the smaller batches of cake batter mixing.
  I thought you'll would like to know this information. Good Luck In the New Year to all of our esteemed members.
   ~DINKS.

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 01:15:24 AM »
To whom it may concern:
 Good morning. Unless I am missing my guess this Hamilton mixer looks EXACTLY like mine. This mixer is manu. by KENWOOD of England. Hamilton beach is the U.S. distributor. I bought mine in the fall of 1996 for $388.99 thru the CHEF Catalog located in Chicago. At that time Rival corp (The ones who manu. crock-pots) was the U.S. distributor. That arrangement lasted about 2 1/2 years. Then an Italian based corp. named DE LONGHI became the distributor for about 5 years or so. at least till last year I have seen their ads for this mixer. It's power is comparable to the new Viking mixer. The CIA culinary school & the Calif. culinary school & many others use the Kenwood of England made mixer for the small stuff. The first lady of cakes Mz. Rose Levy Birninbaum claims it is her favorite mixer for the smaller batches of cake batter mixing.
 I thought you'll would like to know this information. Good Luck In the New Year to all of our esteemed members.
 ~DINKS.

I recently tried a Kenwood which I agree is similar in look to the Hamilton. This particular one belongs to my girlfriend. I tried it out when my Kitchenaid was in the shop after the gears gave out. The Kenwood was a gift she never used, so it was brand new for all intents and purposes. I must say after making tried and trued NY dough with it, never again. It was hopeless at mixing, the dough hook was crap. It seemed to handle ok power wise but you could really say for sure as all it reallly did was spin the dough on the hook. I was constantly pulling it off, stoping and starting. Thank god I've got my Kitchenaid back now...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:17:32 AM by OzPizza »
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
OZpizza:
  Good morning. Thank-you for your responce I enjoy hearing from you. I am sorry to hear of your negative expierance with this  mixer. I do enjoy mine very much. As you know
Oz, times & things change. In other words many mixers that were manu. years ago have never broken & still carry-on. they were manu. differently,ie, gears that were made with steel. Today are made by plastic or a softer alum material so forth & so on. I think from what I have been reading lately about mixers I am the lucky one, because mine works very well. Well good luck to you in your pizza baking & have a nice day my friend.
  ~DINKS.

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 06:58:32 PM »
OZpizza:
 Good morning. Thank-you for your responce I enjoy hearing from you. I am sorry to hear of your negative expierance with this mixer. I do enjoy mine very much. As you know
Oz, times & things change. In other words many mixers that were manu. years ago have never broken & still carry-on. they were manu. differently,ie, gears that were made with steel. Today are made by plastic or a softer alum material so forth & so on. I think from what I have been reading lately about mixers I am the lucky one, because mine works very well. Well good luck to you in your pizza baking & have a nice day my friend.
 ~DINKS.

I believe the commericial KitchenAid K5SS Heavy Duty Stand Mixer I have is meant to have metal gears also. That doesn't mean you can't strip them though. Mine may have been a build issue as the guy in the shop steered me away from buying the model above called the KPM50 because a 'gear' issue when I bought mine 5 months ago.

The issue I had with the Kenwood was extremely poor dough hook, much worse even than the basic kitchenaid hook and lightyears from the Kitchenaid spiral. It may work with lighter more plyable styles of dough than my glutenous NY stuff. Glad you particular Kenwood does the trick for what ever style you make Dinks :).

Cheers.
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline SouthernPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »
7 Qt. Commercial Mixer by Hamilton Beach

This mixer is made in england by the Kenwood corp, which also makes the Delonghi mixers.   In comparison they are the same underneath as the Camaro is to the Firebird.